$5.30 for nasi padang with chicken wing, egg and lady's finger is 'super expensive', says man

The_King

foodmain.jpg

How much would you pay for a plate of rice with one chicken wing, one fried egg and lady's finger at a coffee shop?

Stomper Anonymous feels that forking out $5.30 for it is "super expensive and overpriced".

Anonymous said that he had lunch at a coffee shop at Block 304 Serangoon Avenue 2 on Tuesday (Sep 15), at around 1pm.

He was surprised by how much his meal from Dju Dju Nasi Padang cost.

Anonymous told Stomp: "There was no price tag to refer to.

"My friend also complained that food from this stall is very expensive.

"If I bought the same meal from a normal rice stall, the most it would cost is $3.30."

Asked how much he felt would be considered a reasonable price for his food, the Stomper said: "$3.50."

i know nasi padang got double pricing . which is why i have never order  nasi padang for as long as i can remember, my best guess is 10yr or 15yr. 

maybe the person know if the stall is expensive why still go eat. dont eat la. eat cai png la. there usually a pricing like 1 meat + 2 veg = $**** etc.... 

• Like 1

Last time buy from nasi padang from my nearby mall's food court. Food court got sold to another operator and the nasi padang stall moved away.

Sambal boiled egg $0.90,rice$0.90,sambal goreng $1.00, 1 pc begedil $1.00. Curry chicken $3.50, curry or rendang dish of prawns,mutton,beef or sotong will cost $4.50 and above. That the price list for that stall and they will give a smaller serving to non malays.

4 minutes ago, chamfer said:

Last time buy from nasi padang from my nearby mall's food court. Food court got sold to another operator and the nasi padang stall moved away.

Sambal boiled egg $0.90,rice$0.90,sambal goreng $1.00, 1 pc begedil $1.00. Curry chicken $3.50, curry or rendang dish of prawns,mutton,beef or sotong will cost $4.50 and above. That the price list for that stall and they will give a smaller serving to non malays.

For the price I paid for nasi Padang I can order 3 meat in cai beng stall

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_King said:

i know nasi padang got double pricing . which is why i have never order  nasi padang for as long as i can remember, my best guess is 10yr or 15yr. 

maybe the person know if the stall is expensive why still go eat. dont eat la. eat cai png la. there usually a pricing like 1 meat + 2 veg = $**** etc.... 

Gave up on nasi Padang... Rather go makan mcd

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chamfer said:

double pricing is not a secret. i early 20s i already know so i have nv eaten it for a very long time. i know nasi padang double price, so i avoid it at all cost  

i have seem it with my own eye, person B follow person A order same food but the price is different and then person B just walk away after talking loudly 

i know why person B follow person A order same food, i guess she know the double pricing, which is why she order same food, for me it pointless, there no way to win 

Edited by The_King
  • Like 1

once me and a malay fren test a malay stall. we decided to order the same thing. turn out it's different price. my frind then question the stall owner. 

stall owner act blur says diff ppl take food so different. my fren shoot him back says like that how can, no standard pricing for the food? diff ppl charge differently?

the stall owner kept quiet and pays us back the difference. I was like WTF sia. and that was the last time we ate at that stall 

anyway to be fair, cai png stall also same la. anyhow count till you question them. only diff is that the price is still acceptable to us unless we order seafood so we tend to overlook it. 

Edited by Coffee_O
  • Like 1

its not expensive. its chinese price.

I personally experience this discrimination before.

I ordered exactly the same dishes as the M person before me.

He paid with a green $5 note and get change.

I paid with $10 red note and my change was less than $5.

when I voice out the discrimination, the M people will say you can choose to eat at other stalls, but M can only eat at M stalls.

I guess if a non M coffeeshop charges kopi at a different price for a M customer, our milo president will kao peh kao bu in her social media.

this is the minority privilege

Edited by meng.huat
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Coffee_O said:

once me and a malay fren test a malay stall. we decided to order the same thing. turn out it's different price. my frind then question the stall owner. 

stall owner act blur says diff ppl take food so different. my fren shoot him back says like that how can, no standard pricing for the food? diff ppl charge differently?

the stall owner kept quiet and pays us back the difference. I was like WTF sia. and that was the last time we ate at that stall 

anyway to be fair, cai png stall also same la. anyhow count till you question them. only diff is that the price is still acceptable to us unless we order seafood so we tend to overlook it. 

Cai png stall no practice diff race diff price ba... They c face

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XianGe said:

Cai png stall no practice diff race diff price ba... They c face

not say diff race diff price. i mean the way they calculate the dish also anyhow sometimes

and yes i agree that they c face. i do see once tiongs cai png stall will give more to tiong customer though

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coffee_O said:

some cai png also anyhow whack price. usually new workers. they dont know market.

i usually avoid fish, prawns, seafood.

Meat I will pick those obvious meat dishes, like braise meat, fried chicken.

for veg and egg dishes, i avoid those dubious dishes. eg, egg with minced meat, veg with minced meat, toufu with minced prawns.

some crazy servers will claim those as "meat" or "seafood" and charge you mad price.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, XianGe said:

Cheekon lice can don't gib chiu skin

for me i just lppl, if it this person i know, he always open up in front of the stall to check.  even KFC also kena hahahahahahahahahahaahaha

i remember, he nv order set meal or combo from kfc, he order ala carte  chicken and request for all thigh and kfc sometime play cheat, dont give thigh.. once he checked and then kfc staff kena scold.

ahahahahaha

5 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

some cai png also anyhow whack price. usually new workers. they dont know market.

i usually avoid fish, prawns, seafood.

Meat I will pick those obvious meat dishes, like braise meat, fried chicken.

for veg and egg dishes, i avoid those dubious dishes. eg, egg with minced meat, veg with minced meat, toufu with minced prawns.

some crazy servers will claim those as "meat" or "seafood" and charge you mad price.

yes. i like to eat braised toufu and always kena charged meat price for that few pathetic minced meat on top the toufu. 

• Like 1
  • fapfapfap 1

51 minutes ago, Coffee_O said:

not say diff race diff price. i mean the way they calculate the dish also anyhow sometimes

and yes i agree that they c face. i do see once tiongs cai png stall will give more to tiong customer though

Ya... Luan luan calculate

• Like 1