Anything related to your home

The_King

22 minutes ago, The_King said:

@Camper

will a 9k btu dry mode and say a 18k btu dry mode any different?

my company dry mode (midea 18k btu)  can adjust temperature. and i change the temp to 22, it very cold. my home dalkin 9k, cannot adjust temp

I think the only difference is how hard or little effort the aircon unit has to work to cover a room. For higher btu aircon units, the fan speed is higher i think.

By right if you can adjust the temperature, then it kind of works like cool mode.

Dry mode also largely depends on the weather outside. If cool and rainy days, the temperature will be way colder on dry mode than using cool mode.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Camper said:

I think the only difference is how hard or little effort the aircon unit has to work to cover a room. For higher btu aircon units, the fan speed is higher i think.

By right if you can adjust the temperature, then it kind of works like cool mode.

Dry mode also largely depends on the weather outside. If cool and rainy days, the temperature will be way colder on dry mode than using cool mode.

no wonder  i nv use dry mode cause my home one cannot adjust. will do more test and if it work, i will get 18 btuk or 24k btu. then use it dry mode only to save electricity.

my new home, the aircon is alway my number 1 worry, which why i try to have solar film or secondary glazing

25 minutes ago, The_King said:

no wonder  i nv use dry mode cause my home one cannot adjust. will do more test and if it work, i will get 18 btuk or 24k btu. then use it dry mode only to save electricity.

my new home, the aircon is alway my number 1 worry, which why i try to have solar film or secondary glazing

Haha then you have found the right guy. Im known as that "dry mode guy" at NK. I dont off my aircon unless i do maintenance and cleaning on my own. Not sure about daikin but mitsubishi is easy to clean. I would pull out the blower and clean all the dirt off.

For many months i have controlled my electricity and water consumption very well i feel. Not much difference before and during covid.

However some had said it may works for me because i dont off the aircon and the room environment is very stable hence low consumption. So i guess your mileage may vary if you were to on for 10hrs during the night only. But logically speaking you should be using less electricity compared to me if so.

No need for additional glass insulation or room insulation or even solar film etc, just make sure you upgrade the aircon copper pipes 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Camper said:

Haha then you have found the right guy. Im known as that "dry mode guy" at NK. I dont off my aircon unless i do maintenance and cleaning on my own. Not sure about daikin but mitsubishi is easy to clean. I would pull out the blower and clean all the dirt off.

For many months i have controlled my electricity and water consumption very well i feel. Not much difference before and during covid.

However some had said it may works for me because i dont off the aircon and the room environment is very stable hence low consumption. So i guess your mileage may vary if you were to on for 10hrs during the night only. But logically speaking you should be using less electricity compared to me if so.

No need for additional glass insulation or room insulation or even solar film etc, just make sure you upgrade the aircon copper pipes 👍

me staying with elder mean this cannot that cannot, saving not important must work hard earn more money to overcome money problem, grow veggi is pointless just work hard earn more money to overcome money problem. you get what i mean

for aircon i may get 2 starmex, but dalkin is so durable . my aircon upgrade gao gao, i hope the installer dont kpkb

i choose my bto to avoid the western sun, hopefully it help to cool the home down + solar flim is DIY, or 2n choice is secondary glazing also DIY (but need to find clear plastic)

for me control is just 1 parts, i even plan to go to mall to collect 4 to 8 litres of water home everyday, go libaray to charge the usb type C power bank itself and to charge laptop, hp.

FYI i apply my bto to be near a sport center so i can go there wash clothes and bath. too bad i nv get it. haiz

30 minutes ago, The_King said:

me staying with elder mean this cannot that cannot, saving not important must work hard earn more money to overcome money problem, grow veggi is pointless just work hard earn more money to overcome money problem. you get what i mean

for aircon i may get 2 starmex, but dalkin is so durable . my aircon upgrade gao gao, i hope the installer dont kpkb

i choose my bto to avoid the western sun, hopefully it help to cool the home down + solar flim is DIY, or 2n choice is secondary glazing also DIY (but need to find clear plastic)

for me control is just 1 parts, i even plan to go to mall to collect 4 to 8 litres of water home everyday, go libaray to charge the usb type C power bank itself and to charge laptop, hp.

FYI i apply my bto to be near a sport center so i can go there wash clothes and bath. too bad i nv get it. haiz

I suggest mitsubishi better bah. I heard that daikin new aircon parts not easy to find. Mitsubishi is also cheaper.

I recently broke the condensor and gas was leaking. 1 night no aircon, next day aircon guy replaced it with a refurbished unit.

For water and electricity, i think not worth to save that way. If you maintain as i do, good comfort and dont have to pay too much. I think $80/mth should be affordable for you. That is 1pax hotel buffet meal cost 😅

51 minutes ago, Camper said:

I suggest mitsubishi better bah. I heard that daikin new aircon parts not easy to find. Mitsubishi is also cheaper.

I recently broke the condensor and gas was leaking. 1 night no aircon, next day aircon guy replaced it with a refurbished unit.

For water and electricity, i think not worth to save that way. If you maintain as i do, good comfort and dont have to pay too much. I think $80/mth should be affordable for you. That is 1pax hotel buffet meal cost 😅

thanks, then i choose mitsubishi since both are my choice. btw you know any great/power/super aircon installer? money is not a problem

me is gian peng since young, can save i will do it. hahahaha

Edited by The_King

2 minutes ago, The_King said:

thanks, then i choose mitsubishi since both are my choice. btw you know any great/power/super aircon installer? money is not a problem

me is gian peng since young, can save i will do it. hahahaha

Hmm not that i know of. I just buy off audiohouse and courts. But opt for pipe upgrade. Even with upgraded pipe sometimes still will get clogged. So need to spray aircon chemical.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Camper said:

But if i may really suggest, i know of many people in farming and planting groups, they will chiong down to collect rain water when raining.

Good for washing floor, water plant, cleaning window etc.

how they collect? as in where? below HDB? using pail?

Edited by The_King

50 minutes ago, Camper said:

Hmm not that i know of. I just buy off audiohouse and courts. But opt for pipe upgrade. Even with upgraded pipe sometimes still will get clogged. So need to spray aircon chemical.

your drainage pipe got gradient? 

8 minutes ago, The_King said:

your drainage pipe got gradient? 

Yes have. But pipe clogged because previously a construction site across the street. Very dusty. Mechanic told me to periodically wash the outdoor unit with water.

4 hours ago, Camper said:

Yes have. But pipe clogged because previously a construction site across the street. Very dusty. Mechanic told me to periodically wash the outdoor unit with water.

Me always wait for it to rain the spray water on the fin

Else below will kpkb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My paint:

Option 1 if i can find it else option 2

What is my choice: 

option 1 (My main choice but Professional paint are not for retail, mean it very hard to find)
Cost: Total Cost of paint + - $900 Excluding paint brush, floor cover, paint tools etc.....  ADD $200

Step 1: Sealer (For ALL area)
How much paint and coat is needed: 1 coat - 15L

DIAMOND SOLVENT BASED SEALER A1000 ,  20L tin at $100 with 9L as buffer and touch up
https://www.duluxprofessional.com.my/products/diamond-solventbased-sealer-a1000

Step 2: Finishing coat  (For ALL  other ceiling) color: White
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 10L.

Dulux Professional interior anti-mold (18L tin) $180 with 0L buffer and touch up
https://www.duluxprofessional.me/sites/default/files/pdf/products/PS Interior Anti Mould.pdf

Step 2a : Finishing coat  (For Bathroom and kicthen ceiling only) color: White
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 8L.

Dulux Professional WEATHERSHIELD FLEXX (20L tin) $200 with 12L buffer and touch up
http://www.duluxprofessional.com.my/products/weathershield-flexx

Step 3: Finishing coat  (For Wall:  bomb shelter then follow by circuit breaker and lastly wall & ceiling between gate and metal door)(white color)
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 7L 

3-in-1 Medifresh at $105 per 5L X 2tin = $210 with 3 lites as buffer
https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/store/products/3-in-1-medifresh/

Step 4: Finishing coat  (For all other Wall:  hallway + bedroom + living room) color: white bluish grey
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat- 13L 
Dulux Professional  Diamond care (20L tin) $250 with 7L buffer and touch up 

Option 2 (My last choice but made it as option 1 due to the availability)

Cost: total +-$1.2k Excluding paint brush, floor cover, paint tools etc.....  ADD $200

How much paint and coat is needed: 1 coat - 15L

Vinilex 5170 Wall Sealer,  20L tin at $140 with 9L as buffer and touch up
https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/primers-sealers-undercoats/vinilex-5170-wall-sealer/

how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 10L.

Nippon Paint EasyWash with Teflon (5L tin X 2 ) $188 with 0L buffer and touch up
https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/store/products/easy-wash/

Step 2a : Finishing coat  (For Bathroom and kitchen ceiling only) color: White
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 8L.

Nippon Weatherbond (5L tin X 2 ) $198 with 2L buffer and touch up
https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/exterior-paints/weatherbond/

Step 3: Finishing coat  (For Wall:  bomb shelter then follow by circuit breaker and lastly wall & ceiling between gate and metal door)(white color)

3-in-1 Medifresh at $105 per (5L X 2tin)  $210 with 3lites as buffer
https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/store/products/3-in-1-medifresh/

Step 4: Finishing coat  (For all other Wall: bedroom + living room) color: white bluish grey
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat- 8L 
Nippon All-in-1 at $105 per (5L X 2tin) $250 with 2L buffer and touch up 

Step 4a: Finishing coat  (For all other Wall: hallway ) color: ........ WIP 
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat- 3L 

3-in-1 Medifresh at $105 per (5L X 1tin)  $105 with 2 lites as buffer and touch up 

Option 3 (My selected choice if money not a issues)

Cost: total +-$2k Excluding paint brush, floor cover, paint tools etc.....  ADD $200

How much paint and coat is needed: 1 coat - 13L

waterborne Alkyd sealer At $100 (4L tin X 4) $400 with 3 lites as buffer
https://www.benjaminmoore.sg/products/advance-interior-primer

how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat - 18L.

Aura Bath & Spa (3.78L tin) at ($140 X 5tin) $700 with 2lites as buffer and touch up.
https://www.benjaminmoore.sg/products/aura-bath-spa-matte

Aura EGGSHELL  at $140 X 1tin $280 with 1 lites as buffer and touch up.
https://www.benjaminmoore.sg/products/aura-interior-paint-eggshell

Step 4: Finishing coat  (For all other Wall: bedroom + living room) color: First Light 2102-70 or Breath of Fresh Air 806
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat- 12L 

Aura EGGSHELL at $140 per 4L X 3tin = $360 with 2 lites as buffer

Step 4a: Finishing coat  (For all other Wall: hallway ) color: ........ WIP 
how much paint and coat is needed: 2 coat- 3L 

Aura EGGSHELL at $140 per 4L X 1tin = $140 with 1 lites as buffer 

Summary:

Note for aura primer:
It a oil based primer but in a water based format aka hybrids of water and oil based

for aura bath and spa: it offer moisture resistant

Others:

Paint needed:

Paint is rounded up

total undercoat 12L

total wall 12L

total ceiling 16L 

wall:
bedroom + living room (6.1 X 3.1)    undercoat: 4L   +   wall: 7L 
doorway  (3.8 X 1.3)   undercoat: 4L   +   wall: 3L
bomb shelter (1.9 X 1.7)     3L   +    3L

Kitchen (planned with wall using default HDB tile) ( 0L   +    0L )

Toilet  (planned with wall using default HDB tile) ( 0L   +    0L )

Ceiling: 

ALL area (7.5 X 6.1) : 15L

Above are calculated with a spread rate of 15 square metres per litre 

update: Extra paint option

living room + bedroom wall + ceiling:
1st choice: benjamin moore aura bath and spa + Fresh Start High-Hiding All Purpose Primer
2nd choice: jotun Majestic Perfect Beauty and Care + Jotun Ultra Primer

toilet ceiling:
1st choice: benjamin moore aura bath and spa + Fresh Start High-Hiding All Purpose Primer
2nd choice : Jotashield Colour Extreme + Jotun Ultra Primer

kitchen:
2nd choice: jotun Majestic Perfect Beauty and Care + Jotun Ultra Primer

Metal door frames:
Jotun Gardex Premium Gloss + Gardex Primer

plastic pipe:
Jotashield Colour Extreme + Jotun Ultra Primer

Metal pipe:
Jotun Gardex Premium Gloss + Gardex Primer

the cost of jotun VS BM for 2 room flat.

Need around 25lites for wall, kitchen ceilling, bomb shelter, front door area
toilet Ceiling + in between wooden door and gate : 3 lites
Metal pipe: 3lites
plastic pipe: 1litres

Jotun:
JOTUN ULTRA PRIMER 20LT at $160
jotun Majestic Perfect Beauty and Care at $400 for 5 tin of 5litres
Jotashield Colour Extreme 2.5litres for $60
Gardex Primer 5litres at $65
Jotun Gardex Premium Gloss 5 litres at $90

total $775 for the paint only

BM:
Fresh Start High-Hiding All Purpose Primer 1 gallon X 5 or 18.9 litres at $450
benjamin moore aura bath and spa 26.46litres aka 1 gallon X 7 for $980
Gardex Primer 5litres at $65
Jotun Gardex Premium Gloss 5 litres at $90
Jotashield Colour Extreme 2.5litres for $60

total $1645 for the paint only

100% BM:
Fresh Start High-Hiding All Purpose Primer 1 gallon X 5 or 18.9 litres at $450
benjamin moore aura bath and spa 26.46litres aka 1 gallon X 7 for $980
Stix Waterborne Bonding Primer 1 quart X 3 or 2.82litres at $130
Ultra Spec HP Acrylic Metal Primer 1 quart X 1 or 0.94litres at $95
ADVANCE Interior Paint 1 gallon X 1 at $125

total $1780 for the paint only

Note for mold: i found the best paint system to deal with mold. the paint is Pre-Catalyzed Water-Borne Acrylic Epoxy. It's specifically used in high moisture areas where mold and mildew are big issues.  area like prison, pool, school locker room, shower area, chemical storage area, bathroom etc....

https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/interior-paint/pitt-glaze-wb1-interior-pre-catalyzed-water-borne-acrylic-epoxy

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/cwe/corotech-waterborne-enamels

https://www.coatingsworld.com/issues/2017-08-01/view_breaking-news/behr-pro-introduces-pre-catalyzed-waterborne-epoxy/

How to paint:

Edited by The_King

• 2 weeks later...

ceiling fan update:

Just my little homework for my new bto for https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-decor-furnishings-188/anything-related-your-home-5897077.html

comapring DC vs AC electricity cost

cheapest from KDK DC $368 

39watt  X10hr (usage)  = 390watt 
390/1000 = 0.39kWh per day
0.39 X 31days = 12.09 kWh per month
12.09 kWh per month X 19.60cents kWh = $2.36964 per month
$2.36964 X 12month = $28.43568

cheapest from KDK AC $249

54watt X10hr (usage) = 540watt
540/1000 = 0.54kWh  per day
0.54 X 31days = 16.74 kWh per month
16.74 kWh per month  X 19.60cents kWh = $3.28104 per month
$3.28104 X 12month = $39.372

ac model vs dc model is about $110 different and it electricity cost is $10.93632 per year

which mean i need around 10year to cover back the cost of $110

Tariff Rates: 19.60 cents/kWh
https://www.spgroup.com.sg/what-we-do/billing