'Even if I'm infected, it's my problem': Singaporeans infuriated by young people's comments on social distancing

The_King

Between snaking queues at Ikea, of all places, to crowds having "one last meal", it's safe to say that social distancing hasn't exactly been the top priority for some Singaporeans despite the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.

But a Rice Media video published on April 6 which highlighted troubling attitudes towards social distancing still left many disappointed and infuriated.

In the video, a journalist hit the streets to speak to youngsters who were out and about, uncovering the following 'gems':

"It's a selfish thing to say but even if I'm infected, it's my problem. It's very personal, actually," one man asserted.

Another woman, who appeared to be in her 20s, shrugged off the risk of going out and visiting areas with virus clusters, saying: "Honestly speaking, those clusters would have been the safest place because they have been disinfected thoroughly. I think my house probably carries more risk than these places."

"If I really get it, then okay lor. Like, just get it and then recover (sic)," her companion, who also appeared to be in her 20s, said. "I'm confident that the healthcare system will help me recover in time."

https://www.facebook.com/RiceMedia.co/videos/631941707537337/

The blasé attitude on display in the video soon triggered a wave of backlash, with most rightly pointing out that Covid-19 is hardly a "personal" problem — once a person is infected, he or she may transmit the virus to others, including those at a higher risk of complications.

asiaone-telegram-banner-new.png
socialdistancingfb%20%281%29.jpg
PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook

Others also raised the issue of the strain that would be put on the healthcare system.

socialdistancingfb%20%282%29.jpg
PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook

Social distancing measures including crowd control and spaced apart seating were introduced as early as March 14 in order to curb the spread of the virus.

Most recently, the government announced circuit breaker measures that kick in from today (April 7) to May 4 in response to the increase in local confirmed Covid-19 cases.

All non-essential businesses are closed, while schools will operate on a home-based learning system starting tomorrow.

"The spirit of these measures is to get all of us to minimise physical contact," said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. "If we don't go out, if we avoid contact with others, then the virus won't be able to spread. It is as simple as that."

Staying home is all the more important since recent studies have shown that asymptomatic transmission of the coronavirus is possible. This means that those who are infected but not showing symptoms are able to unknowingly transmit the virus to others.

And precautions should be taken by all age groups.

Contrary to popular belief, Covid-19 isn't just a disease of the elderly. 

Studies from the United States show that while those aged 65 and above do indeed have a higher fatality rate, young people are not invulnerable to the risks and complications that come with the virus.

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/even-if-im-infected-its-my-problem-singaporeans-infuriated-young-peoples-comments-social

KGK/KGB use LJ/CB to tink...

Their ignorance and overconfidence is tempting death to find them... They kenna then become a fugging liability to everyone.... 1) Infect those around them 2) create more work for healthcare ppl 3) waste public$$$ to pay for their medical fees....

Reporter should hand them a form to sign that if they kenna they will be allowed to die in workers dorm and all fees will be paid by themselves... 

10 hours ago, XianGe said:

Reporter should hand them a form to sign that if they kenna they will be allowed to die in workers dorm and all fees will be paid by themselves... 

please leh... the mangala workers just want to finish their work and go home safely... dont send these KGK to pollute their dorms...

• Like 1

We are in this situation because of selfish people and politicians with huge egos and no foresight. If only PAP just told people to buy masks but used some effort to ensure no hoarding in late January, we would be fine. 

All of this now is so unnecessary and with things worsening I think people are gonna start to commit suicide soon from the stress

• Like 1
  • nomnomnom 1

IMG-7224.jpg

3 hours ago, ManOfTheHour said:

We are in this situation because of selfish people and politicians with huge egos and no foresight. If only PAP just told people to buy masks but used some effort to ensure no hoarding in late January, we would be fine. 

All of this now is so unnecessary and with things worsening I think people are gonna start to commit suicide soon from the stress

Maybe alot company will fold

3 hours ago, Satki said:

Imagine this kind of mindset raising the next gen.

I think these are the ones that live from one zouk outing to the next. Probably have no savings and will end up alone at 40.

More like this kind of mindset as the next generation leader and policy maker

• Like 1
  • wtf 1

4 hours ago, Satki said:

Imagine this kind of mindset raising the next gen.

I think these are the ones that live from one zouk outing to the next. Probably have no savings and will end up alone at 40.

Yup how to have money to buy house or to live indepedently. 
Future worries me got many kgk in their 20s who are too YOLO

• Like 1

IMG-7224.jpg

6 minutes ago, ManOfTheHour said:

Yup how to have money to buy house or to live indepedently. 
Future worries me got many kgk in their 20s who are too YOLO

As long as no one follow my self sustaining and self sufficient lifestyle. Dont really care what happened to them