Sasa to close all 22 cosmetics retail shops in Singapore, 170 staff affected

The_King

SINGAPORE - All 22 Sasa International shops in Singapore will be shut down, the cosmetics retailer announced on Monday (Dec 2), in a move that is likely to affect about 170 workers.

It said its decision came after its stores here recorded losses for six consecutive years despite its efforts to turn the business around.

"In order to improve the performance of the Singapore market, the group had taken measures in recent years to restructure the local management team and to enhance store display and product mix with a view to driving sales.

"Regrettably, the results were far from satisfactory," Sasa said in a statement.

In the six months ended Sept 30, its Singapore operations recorded a turnover of HK$99.4 million (S$17.3 million), a decline of 4.6 per cent from last year.

Sasa said the 170 employees will be fully compensated according to Singapore's employment regulations.

The latest move is part of Sasa's strategy to focus on its core market in Hong Kong, which has become more difficult due to a drastic decline in mainland China's tourist arrivals, the cosmetic retailer added.

It would also allow its management team that manages both the Singapore and Malaysia markets to focus on Malaysia which Sasa said had a higher potential for further development.

To make up for the loss in the Singapore market and the declining business in Hong Kong, Sasa said it will continue to expand in mainland China, as well as accelerate the development of its e-commerce business.

It said that it remains a viable business with sufficient funds for operations.

"The termination of the leases in Singapore is not expected to have any significant impact on the operations of the group, as the group operates a total of 265 stores, only 22 of them are located in Singapore," it said.

As of Sept 30, its cash and bank balances also amounted to HK$788.7 million, which is "adequate for its operational needs", the company said.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sasa-to-close-all-22-cosmetic-retail-shops-in-singapore-170-staff-affected

• Wahaha 1

9 hours ago, The_King said:

SINGAPORE - All 22 Sasa International shops in Singapore will be shut down, the cosmetics retailer announced on Monday (Dec 2), in a move that is likely to affect about 170 workers.

It said its decision came after its stores here recorded losses for six consecutive years despite its efforts to turn the business around.

"In order to improve the performance of the Singapore market, the group had taken measures in recent years to restructure the local management team and to enhance store display and product mix with a view to driving sales.

"Regrettably, the results were far from satisfactory," Sasa said in a statement.

In the six months ended Sept 30, its Singapore operations recorded a turnover of HK$99.4 million (S$17.3 million), a decline of 4.6 per cent from last year.

Sasa said the 170 employees will be fully compensated according to Singapore's employment regulations.

The latest move is part of Sasa's strategy to focus on its core market in Hong Kong, which has become more difficult due to a drastic decline in mainland China's tourist arrivals, the cosmetic retailer added.

It would also allow its management team that manages both the Singapore and Malaysia markets to focus on Malaysia which Sasa said had a higher potential for further development.

To make up for the loss in the Singapore market and the declining business in Hong Kong, Sasa said it will continue to expand in mainland China, as well as accelerate the development of its e-commerce business.

It said that it remains a viable business with sufficient funds for operations.

"The termination of the leases in Singapore is not expected to have any significant impact on the operations of the group, as the group operates a total of 265 stores, only 22 of them are located in Singapore," it said.

As of Sept 30, its cash and bank balances also amounted to HK$788.7 million, which is "adequate for its operational needs", the company said.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sasa-to-close-all-22-cosmetic-retail-shops-in-singapore-170-staff-affected

12 minutes ago, Homelander said:

End of Sasa...for a moment i thot its was Sephora

alrdy said a long time ago that an economy which is highly dependent of tourism and retail is always a boom-and-bust strategy, but loong loong too stupid and stubborn to listen.

bte, most atbs r willing to spend in sephora, so sephora is safe for the time being. 

dont believe, can confirm with our in-house atb sexperts @HarrisY kgk xdd and @meng.huat kor kor.

sasa is targeted at young ols and teenage girls so their product range is usually cosmetic and lower-end skin care products while sephora carries mostly upmarket brands catering to those with upper-middle class spending power or kgks wanting to impress their atb gfs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chamfer said:

I hardly go sasa except one time to buy xmas gift for a female colleague.

But i do see some outlets doing ok while some outlets less people.

not surprising.

sasa targets mass market so is more middle class in terms of spending. under a more subdued economic environment, of cos less discretionary spending on cosmetic but u will still be willing to spend for quality skin care products.

secondly, the quality of sasa products is lower than sephora, thus, most will choose to buy at sephora, especially for skin care.

lastly but not least, the influx of cheap korean cosmetic kits basically outpriced those at sasa.

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

bte, most atbs r willing to spend in sephora, so sephora is safe for the time being. 

dont believe, can confirm with our in-house atb sexperts @HarrisY kgk xdd and @meng.huat kor kor.

sasa is targeted at young ols and teenage girls so their product range is usually cosmetic and lower-end skin care products while sephora carries mostly upmarket brands catering to those with upper-middle class spending power or kgks wanting to impress their atb gfs. 

U r right 80%, most ATB like to go sephora for their regular cosmetics. 

Some a but sophiscated, ask for korean shops... like Sulwhasooo, su:m for some expensive esscense.. (bring her at your credit card's discretion)

Some tried their luck to ask to go YSL to buy lipsticks... (big fucking trap, dont go!)

but, sometimes they specifically ask for SaSa for basic items, like night mask or bb cream.

Edited by meng.huat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, socrates469bc said:

alrdy said a long time ago that an economy which is highly dependent of tourism and retail is always a boom-and-bust strategy, but loong loong too stupid and stubborn to listen.

This tourism confirm failed. I don't like to travel if I want to travel, looking at nature and food is where I will go. Comparing sg and my food. I will go my as it better

Also Looking at black friday, 11.11 just physical store it on a downward trend. Those in sg still like blur blur, open so many mall for F

• Wahaha 2

45 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

U r right 80%, most ATB like to go sephora for their regular cosmetics. 

Some a but sophiscated, ask for korean shops... like Sulwhasooo, su:m for some expensive esscense.. (bring her at your credit card's discretion)

Some tried their luck to ask to go YSL to buy lipsticks... (big fucking trap, dont go!)

but, sometimes they specifically ask for SaSa for basic items, like night mask or bb cream.

up-market branded cosmetic and skin-care products abt 30% cheaper in sgp compared to china.

so everytime i go shanghai, my atb gf will give me 2 lists.

one is what she wants me to buy for her.

the other is what she wants to dai buy for her friends.

41 minutes ago, beautifuldays said:

I never buy frm sasa unless neccessary. I only step in jus to ssrr but never buy.

Usually those high end stores the makeup i never buy. I recently saw an online store selling this brand n bought one . Very affordable n nice. Bp Rose also used

20191203_165655.thumb.jpg.edb3cb44571aecca5eb684d274dadcc9.jpg

w644

this lipstick made-in-korea?????

skin-care products is best buy from physical stores becos some of those online stores send u expired cream and a real hassle to do refund.

5 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

this lipstick made-in-korea?????

skin-care products is best buy from physical stores becos some of those online stores send u expired cream and a real hassle to do refund.

This 1 is thailand prod i heard. Also i saw most of the reviews before i bought. Never send me expired

1531511516_Xmasbtturtle.png.5fc58e5c2f943706ed322459c2a269e5.png

7 minutes ago, beautifuldays said:

This 1 is thailand prod i heard. Also i saw most of the reviews before i bought. Never send me expired

havent seen thai cosmetic products on the sgp market yet. didnt even see any on my last bkk survey trip either.

maybe will look more closely on my next trip.

2 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

havent seen thai cosmetic products on the sgp market yet. didnt even see any on my last bkk survey trip either.

maybe will look more closely on my next trip.

Only this store brought in more of the thai products. But usually there is some popularity liao.

The lipstick brand which i sic above bcom popular  bcos of Rosé

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

i see,

sooner or later, some japanese kanebo or canmake will come in and buy the brand.

I tried Canmake. I dont think its good.

If those mid-end brands buy the brand i think price may go up ? or either no more liao ?. Babybright is kinda like a drugstore brand, around $10+

Edited by beautifuldays

Just now, beautifuldays said:

I tried Canmake. I dont think its good.

If they buy the brand i think price will go up ?. Babybright is kinda like a drugstore brand, around $10+

this one have to ask the ols in my office,

but surprisingly, canmake is quite popular in tiongland, especially with young ols.

i can see the profit of such a deal.

if the buyer can successfully get other kois to promote the brand, the brand can really take off and managed properly, there will only be minimal price impact since the target is price-sensitive young ols and teenage girls.

4 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

this one have to ask the ols in my office,

but surprisingly, canmake is quite popular in tiongland, especially with young ols.

i can see the profit of such a deal.

if the buyer can successfully get other kois to promote the brand, the brand can really take off and managed properly, there will only be minimal price impact since the target is price-sensitive young ols and teenage girls.

Babybright kinda new over here. It became popular due to a kpop star using it. Due to this popularity, this local store owner brought in and i think later have another store also brought in. Doubt it will be bought over by another company ?

Oh i see.. I thought ur atbs like to use those super famous de like Shiseido or Sekkisei or those Korean brands?

Edited by beautifuldays
  • Wahaha 1

Just now, beautifuldays said:

Babybright kinda new over here. It became popular due to a kpop star using it. Due to this popularity, this local store owner brought in and i think later have another store also brought in

if i m the local importer, better set up pop-up store.

lower rental costs and can promote it as a chic fad.

• Full Of Win 1

3 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

if i m the local importer, better set up pop-up store.

lower rental costs and can promote it as a chic fad.

True that. Like since the respond is positive on ig liao, with many people giving their reviews, a pop up store will make it even more popz.

Or watson or guardian can bring it in. Like the recent Wishtrend and Olive young products. They having the Olive young event at Ion these few days

Edited by beautifuldays