COVID-19: Ice cream tests positive for coronavirus in China

Bigbird

COVID-19: Ice cream tests positive for coronavirus in China

An expert suggests the discovery is probably a "one-off" and need not be a cause for panic.

Sunday 17 January 2021 04:00, UK

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-ice-cream-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-china-12188761

spacer.png

The batch of ice cream was made with raw materials including milk powder from New Zealand and whey powder imported from Ukraine. Pic: AP

• Wahaha 1
  • wtf 1

Brazil sent one million salmonella-infected chickens to UK in two years

This article is more than 1 year old (2019)

A fifth of Brazilian chicken exports are contaminated with the potentially life-threatening food poisoning bug salmonella

At least 1,359 tonnes of contaminated chicken – about one million birds – have been shipped to the UK from Brazil since April 2017.

At least 1,359 tonnes of contaminated chicken – about one million birds – have been shipped to the UK from Brazil since April 2017. Photograph: Alamy

razil is the largest exporter of frozen chicken in the world, exporting $750m-worth of the meat to Europe last year. But about one in five of its birds are contaminated with the food poisoning bug salmonella.

An investigation by the Guardian, Repórter Brasil and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has found that thousands of tonnes of salmonella-contaminated chicken have been exported from Brazil during the past two years, including more than one million birds sent to the UK.

Salmonella bacteria is found in the guts of poultry and livestock. Birds and animals can be infected through feed, in hatcheries, or through faeces during transport to abattoirs, where slaughter and processing can also spread the infection. In humans, salmonella poisoning can be life-threatening, particularly in infants and the elderly.

The head of the Brazilian food safety authority has admitted that the country’s 20% contamination rate is too high: “Europe is one step ahead of us regarding the control of salmonella,” Ana Lucia Viana, director of Brazil’s Department of Inspection of Animal Products, told the news organisation Repórter Brasil.

Read the rest from link   https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/03/brazil-one-million-salmonella-infected-chickens-uk

• wtf 2

Brazil meat scandal: Hong Kong joins import ban

Published 21 March 2017
Chunks of beef are displayed at a supermarket in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on March 17, 2017.image copyrightAFP
image captionBrazil is one of the world's largest producers and exporters of meat

Hong Kong has joined China in suspending meat imports from Brazil.

They are the top two consumers of Brazilian meat and have suspended imports over allegations that companies have been selling unsafe produce for years.

The European Union has also said it will stop buying from companies implicated in the scandal.

The crisis was triggered by a huge federal police operation on Friday.

It found evidence that meat-packers had been selling rotten and substandard produce for several years.

Hong Kong's Centre for Food Safety said it had temporarily suspended the import of frozen and chilled meat and poultry "in view of the fact that the quality of the meat from Brazil is in question".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-39341716

• wtf 2

What’s The Deal With the Brazil Meat Scandal?

By Chloe St. George | [email protected] | March 23, 2017 5:04pm

Brazil, one of the world’s top meat producers and exporters, is in a bit of a pickle. Some of its top meat producers are being investigated for corruption: for selling rotten beef and poultry, bribing hygiene inspectors, and adding harmful additives to the meat. Yum!

Beef was reportedly repackaged for sale past its hygienic sell-by date and soy products were passed off as turkey. According to the BBC, chicken meat was mixed with potato, water and sometimes cardboard. On top of this, “acid and other chemicals” were used “to mask the aspect of the product [which] In some cases…were carcinogenic,” according to Police.

One such carcinogenic chemical detected was ascorbic acid, AKA vitamin C, which is an essential nutrient in our diets. Yet what is potentially harmful is the consumption of these additives in large and sustained quantities, as well as the fact that consumers were not aware of how much they were consuming.

Civil servants and business owners are also accused of paying hygiene inspectors to issue certificates without actually carrying out any real inspections.

The police investigation, known as Weak Flesh, led to over 30 arrests of workers in meat-producing plants, and more than 30 senior civil servants being suspended for failing to notice the sordid operations taking place.

China, Chile and the EU have called for some or all importation of Brazilian meat to be suspended temporarily.

https://www.thebubble.com/whats-the-deal-with-brazil-meat-scandal

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

I remembered at that time CUTN have many weeks of big Promo ~40% discount clearly the Brazilian Frozen Chicken!   Before the news came out!

I also bought it!     After i saw the news, i went SH1T! 

Recently, CUTN also have big promo on Pork from Brazil (Porkee )  & Chicken  50% off!

Anyone notice or bought?   :hmm:

• Wahaha 1

35 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

I remembered at that time CUTN have many weeks of big Promo ~40% discount clearly the Brazilian Frozen Chicken!   Before the news came out!

I also bought it!     After i saw the news, i went SH1T! 

Recently, CUTN also have big promo on Pork from Brazil (Porkee )  & Chicken  50% off!

Anyone notice or bought?   :hmm:

I bought porkee pork and sadia chicken just 2 weeks ago. Eat half liao...:o

No wonder NTUC  got promo.....

• wtf 1

Factbox: Can frozen or chilled food spread coronavirus?

Coronavirus Explainers
June 16, 20206:31 PMUpdated 7 months ago

By Reuters Staff

DALE FISHER, SINGAPORE-BASED DISEASE EXPERT AND CHAIR OF THE GLOBAL OUTBREAK ALERT AND RESPONSE NETWORK COORDINATED BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

If we want to store virus, we freeze it. So if virus is packed with frozen product then it would survive. We normally talk about less than a week, but we know that the colder it is, the longer it will last ... That’s part of the theory around why the virus is more contagious in winter.

So you bring the surface down ... in a refrigeration unit, tied to the fact that we know there has been outbreaks in meatpacking plants etc, it is possible.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-food-factbox/factbox-can-frozen-or-chilled-food-spread-coronavirus-idUSKBN23N1JL

Quote from our very own Top Gun Expert!

• Wahaha 2

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

Factbox: Can frozen or chilled food spread coronavirus?

Coronavirus Explainers
June 16, 20206:31 PMUpdated 7 months ago

By Reuters Staff

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-food-factbox/factbox-can-frozen-or-chilled-food-spread-coronavirus-idUSKBN23N1JL

Quote from our very own Top Gun Expert!

actually, if one think carefully, most viruses usually can be frozen and inactivated at below -5  degree and above 30 degree.

in other words, a virus is rendered impotent  at these 2 temperature points.

however, wuhan seems to be able to thrive well at below 0 degree as evidenced by the current outbreak in sub-0 northern hemisphere and surprisingly able to survive high temperature of the tropics as well.

another interesting observation is that the virus seems to be able to enter animated suspension at sub-0 temperature b4 being revived when heated.

so do u think can trust this sexpert mah?????

who also tell me that the virus cannot survive high temperature last mar.

wahahahhahaha

• Like 1
  • ISWYDT 1

1 hour ago, socrates469bc said:

actually, if one think carefully, most viruses usually can be frozen and inactivated at below -5  degree and above 30 degree.

in other words, a virus is rendered impotent  at these 2 temperature points.

however, wuhan seems to be able to thrive well at below 0 degree as evidenced by the current outbreak in sub-0 northern hemisphere and surprisingly able to survive high temperature of the tropics as well.

another interesting observation is that the virus seems to be able to enter animated suspension at sub-0 temperature b4 being revived when heated.

so do u think can trust this sexpert mah?????

who also tell me that the virus cannot survive high temperature last mar.

wahahahhahaha

He say exactly that!

"If we want to store virus, we freeze it. So if virus is packed with frozen product then it would survive. We normally talk about less than a week, but we know that the colder it is, the longer it will last ... That’s part of the theory around why the virus is more contagious in winter.

So you bring the surface down ... in a refrigeration unit, tied to the fact that we know there has been outbreaks in meatpacking plants etc, it is possible."

Prof DALE FISHER

Colder the better for Virus! 

IS this the reason why Pfizer Vaccine mRNA needs to be stored in -70C??!!!  :hmm:

Edited by Bigbird
  • Wahaha 2

21 hours ago, chamfer said:

I bought porkee pork and sadia chicken just 2 weeks ago. Eat half liao...:o

No wonder NTUC  got promo.....

I saw the Porkee Pork Ribs on sale 50% discount at CUTN last month! I took 2 packs to buy & walked to the cashier. I look at where the pork is from and i saw Brazil!  

My instinct told me to not take it!

So i want to put it back in the chiller! 

20 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Heng uh. I neber buy pork last few days. Only i ate the pork leg from the cai png  stall :o hope nothing wrong

CUTN owns 230 outlets and they imports mega Tons of food from all over the world!  However the prices are still expensive! 

If there's any food scandal, HSA (Under AH Gan) will inform CUTN (Ah Seah) ahead of time!  All there Kah ki Nang there!   

That's why if food shortage they wont need to worry. They have VVVIP client list!  

Anyway, the point here is.  The key Portfolios are covered by MIW Generals including media!  

So many things is Staff in Confidence!  Damage mitigation! Need to know basis! Eg C19 real # or CPF $, GIC Investments P&L.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the C19 mass going on in Brazil & corruption.  I will avoid  as best as i can buying Brazil meat (probably Indonesia too)!  I just hope Brazil dont become another Venezuela! 

Of course every country are facing C19, i will just need to pick the least of 2 evils!   :hmm:

Edited by Bigbird
  • Like 1