Anwar Ibrahim claims to have majority support to be PM

invis

• Moderators

871102.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has claimed that he has the majority support to become the Prime Minister of the country.

“I have a strong formidable convincing majority. Not a small majority,” he said at a press conference on Wednesday (Sept 23).

The PKR president added that details would only be given after an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.

"We need a strong, stable government to run the country. Includes Barisan MPs. The discretion to dissolve Parliament is the sole prerogative of the Agong. I spoke to him on Monday night.

"This is not a backdoor government, this is a government that has the mandate and support. Of course it is a Malay-majority government, but will be inclusive so that every community is represented," he added.

A media invite was issued by Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) communications director Fahmi Fadzil earlier Wednesday, stating that the PKR president would be holding a press conference at noon at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

Full statement from Anwar Ibrahim

I would like to thank the media for joining us today on short notice.

The people of Malaysia deserve leadership which can navigate effectively during these turbulent times. Instead, we have an unstable government whose inability to handle the crisis is driving the country towards an economic recession and rising racial tension.

We have not seen it mobilize all the country’s resources and capabilities to face the crisis head on. What has happened, instead, is the government has been busy distributing positions, appointments and contracts in order to cling to extremely bare and razor-thin majority in Parliament.

It is difficult for us to know what the 70 ministers are doing. We have never been informed about the deliberations taking place in the Cabinet. Until now – seven months after taking office during a unprecedented national and international crisis -- the Prime Minister has not held a single press conference following his regular Cabinet meeting.

I have been approached by a number of MPs from various parties who expressed their deep dissatisfaction with the current leadership. They recognize that the country must have strong, stable and accountable leadership to manage the crisis and to do so with compassion and concern for the plight of all people who are struggling in this pandemic economy. They have expressed their support for me to take over the government now.

I have received convincing support from Members of Parliament for me to present to His Majesty the Yang Dipertuan Agong. I wish to state here that the majority of MPs supporting me are Malay and Muslim.

I would like to mention that I was granted an audience to meet His Majesty Yang di-Pertuan Agong yesterday, Tuesday 21 September at 11 am. The meeting was postponed due to the fact that he was being treated the National Heart Institute.

However, through a telephone conversation on Tuesday night I prayed for his speedy recovery and health.

With a clear and indisputable support and majority behind me, the government led by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has fallen. I will meet with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong when he regains his health and will provide more information to the public about what happens next.

This government will represent all people, with majority Malay-Bumiputra and fair representation of all races in this country. We are commited to uphold the principles of the constitution that recognises the position of Islam, the sovereignty of the Malay rulers and uphold the position of the Malay language as the official language and the special position of the Malays and Bumiputra as well as give assurance to defend the rights of all races.

Lastly, I would like to say to all Malaysians: I promise to form a government with integrity and commitment to address the crisis that befell the country, and put an end to corruption and fight for the wellbeing of the people. Insha’Allah I will fulfill my promise to make Malaysia a prosperous, peaceful and just country for all its people.

Thank you.

ANWAR IBRAHIM

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

18 minutes ago, invis said:

871102.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has claimed that he has the majority support to become the Prime Minister of the country.

“I have a strong formidable convincing majority. Not a small majority,” he said at a press conference on Wednesday (Sept 23).

The PKR president added that details would only be given after an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.

"We need a strong, stable government to run the country. Includes Barisan MPs. The discretion to dissolve Parliament is the sole prerogative of the Agong. I spoke to him on Monday night.

"This is not a backdoor government, this is a government that has the mandate and support. Of course it is a Malay-majority government, but will be inclusive so that every community is represented," he added.

A media invite was issued by Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) communications director Fahmi Fadzil earlier Wednesday, stating that the PKR president would be holding a press conference at noon at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

Full statement from Anwar Ibrahim

I would like to thank the media for joining us today on short notice.

The people of Malaysia deserve leadership which can navigate effectively during these turbulent times. Instead, we have an unstable government whose inability to handle the crisis is driving the country towards an economic recession and rising racial tension.

We have not seen it mobilize all the country’s resources and capabilities to face the crisis head on. What has happened, instead, is the government has been busy distributing positions, appointments and contracts in order to cling to extremely bare and razor-thin majority in Parliament.

It is difficult for us to know what the 70 ministers are doing. We have never been informed about the deliberations taking place in the Cabinet. Until now – seven months after taking office during a unprecedented national and international crisis -- the Prime Minister has not held a single press conference following his regular Cabinet meeting.

I have been approached by a number of MPs from various parties who expressed their deep dissatisfaction with the current leadership. They recognize that the country must have strong, stable and accountable leadership to manage the crisis and to do so with compassion and concern for the plight of all people who are struggling in this pandemic economy. They have expressed their support for me to take over the government now.

I have received convincing support from Members of Parliament for me to present to His Majesty the Yang Dipertuan Agong. I wish to state here that the majority of MPs supporting me are Malay and Muslim.

I would like to mention that I was granted an audience to meet His Majesty Yang di-Pertuan Agong yesterday, Tuesday 21 September at 11 am. The meeting was postponed due to the fact that he was being treated the National Heart Institute.

However, through a telephone conversation on Tuesday night I prayed for his speedy recovery and health.

With a clear and indisputable support and majority behind me, the government led by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has fallen. I will meet with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong when he regains his health and will provide more information to the public about what happens next.

This government will represent all people, with majority Malay-Bumiputra and fair representation of all races in this country. We are commited to uphold the principles of the constitution that recognises the position of Islam, the sovereignty of the Malay rulers and uphold the position of the Malay language as the official language and the special position of the Malays and Bumiputra as well as give assurance to defend the rights of all races.

Lastly, I would like to say to all Malaysians: I promise to form a government with integrity and commitment to address the crisis that befell the country, and put an end to corruption and fight for the wellbeing of the people. Insha’Allah I will fulfill my promise to make Malaysia a prosperous, peaceful and just country for all its people.

Thank you.

ANWAR IBRAHIM

all previous M-PM claims to end corruption, but yet they r still 'plague' by it...

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

there r only 2 ways for anwar to be pm, and i dont see it happening.

one is for ah din to resign which is impossible and the second is to call for an emergency parliamentary sitting which is also impossible since the speaker is now ah din's kaki.

parliamentary speaker is supposed to be neutral but i dont think this will be the case here.

wahahahahhahahaha

• Like 1

Muhyiddin says Anwar needs to prove he has parliamentary majority; stresses he remains the 'legal prime minister'

malaysian-pm-muhyiddin-yassin.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said that opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim needs to prove that he has enough support from Members of Parliament (MPs) to form a new government, while stating that he remains the "legal prime minister" of the country. 

Mr Muhyiddin released a press statement on Wednesday (Sep 23), hours after Mr Anwar announced that he has garnered a "strong, formidable, convincing majority" of MPs to form a new government. The latter also claimed that the current government led by Mr Muhyiddin has fallen. 

Mr Anwar did not reveal the list of MPs who are with him and said that he would only do so after the royal audience.

In his statement, Mr Muhyiddin said: "This allegation now needs to be proven through process and methods determined by the Federal Constitution. Without these processes, Anwar’s statement is a mere allegation. Until proven otherwise, the Perikatan Nasional government still stands firm and I am the legal Prime Minister. 

"I call for citizens to stay calm in this situation. God willing, this issue will be managed properly according to the legal process and Federal constitution," he added.

In an earlier televised address, Mr Muhyiddin appealed to Malaysians to reject the "blind actions" of a small group of politicians who he said are undermining the political stability of the country.

He said what is crucial now is a stable and strong government backed by the people.

"This is important so that many initiatives to recover the economy and to assist the people can be implemented effectively by the government," he said during the address.

The prime minister said: “I therefore plead with the people to reject the blind actions of certain politicians who purposefully intend to affect the nation’s political stability as well as the economic recovery plans which are being implemented well at this time."

“God willing, we will be able to form a better future. I am confident of and have trust in the strength of our spirit as Malaysians ... I hope the Kita Prihatin package will bring great benefits to you." 

ADDITIONAL RM10 BILLION FINANCIAL AID 

Mr Muhyiddin announced that the government will be providing financial aid worth RM10 billion (US$2.4 billion) to further help Malaysians get through the pandemic.

The programme, he said, includes cash aid, assistance for small businesses and a wage subsidy scheme.

"No application will be necessary for the (cash aid). The government will channel the aid directly to the 10.6 million people who previously benefitted from the assistance," he said.

Mr Muhyiddin had earlier announced financial aid in three phases (Prihatin, Prihatin PKS Tambahan and Penjana) worth RM295 billion.

He added that at this time, it was important to prioritise the plight of the people instead of focusing on politics.

malaysia-opposition-leader-anwar-ibrahim

Previously, Mr Anwar had been tipped to take over from Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who became the country’s seventh prime minister after Pakatan Harapan (PH) defeated Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition in the 2018 general election.

Mr Anwar, who was serving a jail term for sodomy, was granted a royal pardon days after PH’s shock victory.

The transition plan from Dr Mahathir to Mr Anwar had been a significant source of tension in PH as the former had repeatedly declined to give a concrete timetable as to when he would step aside for Mr Anwar to take the reins.

Dr Mahathir abruptly resigned in February and defectors from PH then worked with BN to form the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government. 

Mr Muhyiddin, president of Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu), became the prime minister, after the king met all MPs and found that Mr Muhyiddin likely commanded the support of majority of the lawmakers.

Dr Mahathir and his allies were subsequently removed from Bersatu.  

PH politicians have cried foul over PN’s political coup to wrest federal power, although the COVID-19 pandemic and government-instituted movement control order to stem the contagion temporarily abated much of the political feud. 

United Malays National Organisation, which has always held the prime minister position before BN’s fall and is now part of the PN government, has repeatedly called for a general election to be held to get rid of the “backdoor government” impression. 

Mr Muhyiddin, when campaigning in the ongoing Sabah state election, said a general election can be called if the state coalition he put together wins the Sabah polls on Sep 26. 

Mr Anwar is currently facing a lawsuit filed to challenge the legality of a royal pardon he received two years ago, with the dates for case management and trial fixed in 2021.

Source: CNA/kd

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-muhyiddin-anwar-majority-constitution-process-13137220

ah din tell anwar GPGT or else CSB.

more money for bolehsians!!

RM305 Billion package!! huat ah!!

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

9 hours ago, sketchish said:

all previous M-PM claims to end corruption, but yet they r still 'plague' by it...

allow me to do a short political history on the pms of bolehsia.

first pm was a malay prince and was rich, so he was not personally corrupt and surprisingly not power hungry, even for a royalty. so political corruption under his watch was still manageable.

second pm was jib kor's father, an ardent malay nationalist but in truth, power hungry and corrupt. he is not born rich but still managed to send all his sons to boarding school in england. luckily he passed away early or else who knows how much corruption will result from his new economic policy.

third pm was hussein, a good man but becos of his lack of forcefulness, he is unable to turn back the corruption unleashed in the new economic policy of jib kor's laopeh. he was in the seat for a term b4 he gave up.

and of cos, the one who institutionalized corruption is the fourth pm, old horse.

despite some early good economic planning such as industrializing thru manufacturing, but by 1985, he had started to use jib kor's laopeh's nep to enrich his cronies.

• Like 1