Chamfer's boring tome/misc topics thread

chamfer

23 minutes ago, chamfer said:

https://www.bookdepository.com/I-Ching-Neil-Powell/9781782747215?ref=grid-view&qid=1573482406456&sr=1-46

Just saw this book in the library and got attracted to the unique binding. Heart itchy to get this.

You might want to practice one at a time, each takes a while to get good at :)

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

On 11/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, chamfer said:

My hoot from opentrolley has finially arrived today.

20191111_201028.jpg

Did my first reading with my first deck of tarot cards. The cards are a bit big on my hands and i can't shuffle them like what i used to with poker cards.

The words inside the guide book is small and kind of hard on my 老花眼. Instruction on how to setup the different tarot formats is straight forward.

Basically it's a deck that is designed by cat lovers for cat lovers to use.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chamfer said:

Did my first reading with my first deck of tarot cards. The cards are a bit big on my hands and i can't shuffle them like what i used to with poker cards.

The words inside the guide book is small and kind of hard on my 老花眼. Instruction on how to setup the different tarot formats is straight forward.

Basically it's a deck that is designed by cat lovers for cat lovers to use.

You need to draw 8 cards and place as a pentagram? What does the first readings say?

13 hours ago, Homelander said:

You need to draw 8 cards and place as a pentagram? What does the first readings say?

8 cards is too complex for a beginner like me. My first reading is done by using 1 card. It show me loss when i ask about doing business now.

• Like 1

image.png.83e3371fba47429742accd30e079a708.png

Review from amazon:

In The Power of Breath and Hand Yoga, Christine Burke shows how you already have all you need to heal both physical and emotional conditions and improve your overall well-being. Breath awareness has been linked to calming the body and brain, regulating blood pressure, improving memory and immune function, preventing heart attacks, and easing chronic pain and asthma. Mudras are known as “yoga for the hands”: they are hand poses and positions that channel energy and offer a point of focus during meditation. First, Christine teaches you a range of breathing techniques and reveals the background behind mudras and how best to use them, and then she offers breath and mudra practices for 36 conditions, divided into body and mind. Each practice also includes a “jewel thought” meditation, which can accompany the breath technique and/or mudra.

Edited by chamfer
  • Like 3

image.png.81e3e57c33401149912c0f1a8fa60d57.png

Review from amazon :

Capitalism shapes every aspect of our world, beyond just our economic structures; it moulds our values and influences the way we write laws, wage wars and even conduct personal relationships.

From its beginnings to the present day, Capitalism: A Graphic Guide tells the story of capitalism’s remarkable and often ruthless rise, evolving through strife and struggle as much as innovation and enterprise.

This non-fiction graphic novel explores the key developments that have shaped our modern world, from early banking to the Opium Wars, financial crashes, the rise of service economies and concerns about sustainability. It also introduces us to the leading proponents and critics of capitalism, providing both a theoretical and practical understanding of this fascinating subject.

• Like 3

image.png.ccc087886bf19b396de43e5c3594c2fb.png

Review from amazon :

For centuries, symbols have been imperative throughout the world, signifying ideas, relationships, and objects across different cultures. Find out why a flag at half mast is a symbol of mourning, why toads have got a bad name while frogs turn into princes, and why a heart pierced by an arrow is a classic symbol of love. 

Delve into the meaning of each symbol and investigate how they have been interpreted in myth, religion, folklore, and art over time, with authoritative text from experts in the field and striking line drawings and photography that emphasize the visual strength and beauty of signs. Divided into six thematic sections - the cosmos, the natural world, human life, myths and religions, society and culture, and symbol systems - this guide to the secret language of signs and symbols is a must-have for those who want to understand the world around them.

• Like 2

image.png.c7c7c1ddaef9161e9f281258473b9b4a.png

Currently reading this book. There is nothing religious about this book.

in the author's words :

'For us,a ritual is a simple way of learning to celebrate the small things in life.It's a way of making ordinary things special,and special things extra special.

Rituals are a way of acknowledging and honouring our emotions and experiences,and they can give us a safe place to lay down some of our more difficult feelings so that we don't feel suffocated by them.'

• Like 3

image.png.67111d08b958636792c34d2aa2d449da.png

Just started reading on a few chapters on this book.

Amazon's book review :

What is the difference between having empathy and being an empath? "Having empathy means our heart goes out to another person in joy or pain," says Judith Orloff, MD. "But for empaths it goes much further. We actually feel others’ emotions, energy, and physical symptoms in our own bodies, without the usual defenses that most people have." With The Empath’s Survival Guide, Dr. Orloff offers a practical tool set to help sensitive people develop healthy coping mechanisms in our high-stimulus world―while fully embracing the empath’s gifts of intuition, compassion, creativity, and spiritual connection.

This practical, empowering, and loving book was created to support empaths and anyone who wants to develop their sensitivities to become more caring people in an often-insensitive world. It helps empaths through their unique challenges and gives loved ones a better understanding of the needs and gifts of the sensitive people in their lives. In this book Dr. Orloff offers crucial practices, including:

• Self-assessment exercises to help you identify your empath type
• Tools for protecting yourself from sensory overload, exhaustion, addictions, and compassion fatigue while replenishing your vital energy
• Simple and effective strategies to stop absorbing stress and physical symptoms from others and protect yourself from narcissists and other energy vampires
• How to find the right work and create relationships that nourish you
• How to navigate intimate relationships without feeling overwhelmed
• Guidance for parenting and raising empathic children
• Awakening the empath’s gift of intuition and deepening your spiritual connection to all living beings

For any sensitive person who’s been told to "grow a thick skin," this paperback edition of The Empath's Survival Guide is an invaluable resource for staying fully open while building resilience, exploring your gifts of depth and compassion, and feeling welcome and valued by a world that desperately needs what you have to offer.

Edited by chamfer
  • Like 3

On 11/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, chamfer said:

image.png.81e3e57c33401149912c0f1a8fa60d57.png

Review from amazon :

Capitalism shapes every aspect of our world, beyond just our economic structures; it moulds our values and influences the way we write laws, wage wars and even conduct personal relationships.

From its beginnings to the present day, Capitalism: A Graphic Guide tells the story of capitalism’s remarkable and often ruthless rise, evolving through strife and struggle as much as innovation and enterprise.

This non-fiction graphic novel explores the key developments that have shaped our modern world, from early banking to the Opium Wars, financial crashes, the rise of service economies and concerns about sustainability. It also introduces us to the leading proponents and critics of capitalism, providing both a theoretical and practical understanding of this fascinating subject.

Image result for marxism a graphic guide"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...