Singapore ‘strongly encourages’ mask-wearing in crowded places amid rise in COVID-19 cases

The_King

SINGAPORE: As Singapore's COVID-19 cases continue to rise, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said it "strongly encourages" people to wear a mask in crowded places, especially indoors or when visiting vulnerable people.

The ministry said on Friday (Dec 15) that the estimated number of COVID-19 cases from Dec 3 to Dec 9 rose to 56,043 cases, a 75 per cent jump compared with 32,035 cases in the previous week.

The average daily COVID-19 hospitalisations rose to 350 from 225 the week before.

The average daily Intensive Care Unit (ICU) cases increased to nine cases compared with four cases in the previous week.

The vast majority of cases are infected by the JN.1 variant, a sublineage of BA.2.86.

"Based on the available international and local data, there is currently no clear indication that BA.2.86 or JN.1 are more transmissible or cause more severe disease than other circulating variants," said MOH. 

"We urge the public to exercise personal and social responsibility. Individuals who are unwell with acute respiratory infection symptoms should stay at home until symptoms resolve, and avoid contact with others," the ministry said.

It added that those who are travelling should wear a mask at the airport, purchase travel insurance and avoid crowded areas with poor ventilation. 

"We urge the public to seek medical treatment at a hospital’s emergency department only for serious or life-threatening emergencies," stressed the ministry.

"This will preserve our hospital capacity for patients who truly need acute hospital care and allow those with severe illness to receive timely treatment."

MEASURES TO PRESERVE HEALTHCARE CAPACITY

The Health Ministry said it has been working with public hospitals for contingency planning, including ensuring adequate manpower and deferring non-urgent elective surgeries to maximise bed capacity for urgent cases in need of acute care.

"In addition, hospitals are tapping on step-down facilities like Transitional Care Facilities and alternative care models like Mobile Inpatient Care@Home (MIC@Home) to ensure proper right-siting of patients," MOH said.

A second COVID-19 Treatment Facility will open this weekend at Singapore EXPO Hall 10, augmenting capacity at the existing facility at Crawfurd Hospital.

Together, they will be able to care for more than 80 stable COVID-19 patients who do not require intensive hospital care.

"If the need arises, the CTF (COVID-19 Treatment Facility) capacity at EXPO can be further increased," said MOH.

MOH WEBSITE TO BE UPDATED DAILY

From Dec 19, MOH will update its estimated COVID-19 case count daily instead of on a weekly basis to provide the latest information on the situation.

"As COVID-19 testing is no longer routinely required in DORSCON Green, the number of reported COVID-19 cases is expected to under-represent the actual situation," said MOH.

To get a more accurate estimate on the number of local cases, MOH said it calculates the estimated number of infections by taking into account the number of people who have symptoms of acute respiratory infection (ARI) at the polyclinics, the proportion of polyclinic ARI samples that test positive COVID-19 epidemiological week, and the share of national ARI cases that are seen in polyclinics.

The ministry reiterated that vaccination remains Singapore's primary defence against COVID-19 and it continues to be effective in preventing severe illness.

MOH said its analysis shows that hospitalisation rates are considerably lower among those who have kept up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination compared with those who have not.

"Our society has weathered several infection waves and emerged more resilient each time, and we can similarly withstand this wave with everyone’s cooperation," said MOH.

"We urge everyone to play their part in protecting themselves and their families, especially seniors and medically vulnerable persons."

Source: CNA/lk(gs)
  • Like 1
  • Wahaha 2

5 minutes ago, XianGe said:

Ya tis time fast recover but most I hear hab coughing still

me 2.5 day no cough liao

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9651994/

N-acetylcysteine for prevention and treatment of COVID-19: Current state of evidence and future directions

Conclusions

The potential mechanisms of NAC's beneficial actions have been investigated in several in vitro and in vivo studies. Treatment with this drug has shown a positive impact on health outcomes in patients with respiratory conditions such as community-acquired pneumonia, COPD, ARDS and, more recently, its potential suppressive action on the progression of COVID-19 makes it a very promising therapy against COVID-19. It is hypothesized that the mechanism of action of NAC may consisted of blocking the viral infection and the consequent cytokine storm. Although the level of evidence is limited and data from controlled clinical trials is needed, the information currently available supports the use of NAC in symptomatic patients with COVID-19 at a minimum dose of 1200 mg per day. In patients with severe disease and respiratory compromise, the use of intravenous NAC at a dose of 100 mg/kg for a minimum of three days may be indicated. This dose can be increased in the first 24 h to 150 mg/kg in situations of ARDS [56].

Edited by The_King
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 8:33 PM, The_King said:

i can take mc, why not

On 12/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, XianGe said:

Will weaken chiur lung/stamina... Better dun tio... 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, Satki said:

Looks like by CNY, it will be lockdown and no more lo hei

BBFA rejoice. no need to rent GF

diam diam lah, kumgong pappy serfs and listen to this pappy jlb dg, ok???????

wahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

image.png.16be8da2392fddf5d760a38b4bb2405b.png

• Wahaha 3

On 12/17/2023 at 2:13 PM, The_King said:

He Mia can only mean he at sgx

On 12/17/2023 at 5:39 PM, Satki said:

must be furiously trading for year end bonus

pappylandx how to make money just on ocbc?????????

limpeh now go further north to kl and taipei to play tech stocks now.

wahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

image.png.f00e7a94c1c8eb05c69e750653470c48.png

image.png.fb20a5e1fda018c12b9153cf51522426.png

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Full Of Win 2

went for 3rd visit at Chiro as mentioned by MOTH.

many people today but I see only 2 wear mask.

i think young people already embraced endemic

its the boomers that scared they up the lorry tomorrow that wears them now.

even retirees also no Fark Care

• Like 1

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

3 hours ago, Satki said:

went for 3rd visit at Chiro as mentioned by MOTH.

many people today but I see only 2 wear mask.

i think young people already embraced endemic

its the boomers that scared they up the lorry tomorrow that wears them now.

even retirees also no Fark Care

My area more are wearing masks but as you said, it’s the younger clowns who dont want to esp women who think they chio.
I think they scared the mask wipe off their ridiculous amount of make up

speaking of chiro, i become more flexible too after 14 sessions. 

IMG-7224.jpg

39 minutes ago, ManOfTheHour said:

My area more are wearing masks but as you said, it’s the younger clowns who dont want to esp women who think they chio.
I think they scared the mask wipe off their ridiculous amount of make up

speaking of chiro, i become more flexible too after 14 sessions. 

need the @The_King  iron bed if too flexible.

• Wahaha 3

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

19 hours ago, The_King said:

i blur liao

9 hours ago, Satki said:

Malaysia stock

play with care

dont kena HK saying

chao koo pew

chao tol lon

alrdy told u kumgong pappy serfs the secret to earning money from stock exchange liao.

watch 40 episodes of this drama more practical than 4 yr uni study.

wahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Wahaha 3