Is it a library? Customers hog tables with laptops at Starbucks United Square

The_King

starbucks.jpg

Starbucks is more than just a coffee place you visit for a dose of caffeine or to catch up with one's friends.

Most of us know it is also a favourite haunt for students 'mugging' for exams and financial advisors meeting with their clients.

A Stomper visited a Starbucks Reserve outlet at United Square on Saturday (Mar 4) and was dismayed to find people hogging seats and tables with their laptops and tablets.

"Upon seeing this, I asked the staff if there were any empty seats and was told they can't chase [these people] away," he said.

"I wanted to eat but I had to leave.

"One person's business gone.

"Starbucks is a library?"

This is not the first time patrons have complained of people, especially students, hogging seats while studying at Starbucks outlets.

Starbucks has commented on such complaints with the following response:

screenhunter-05.jpg

• Wahaha 1

20 minutes ago, classyNfabulous said:

many insensitive & selfish pple. buy a drink & expect to occupy there for hours using laptop. i feel dat for meal times these pple shld not hog the place for such agenda. 

if need be, they can proceed to library

Sinkies chao kuaness ish notch new... Tats huai we still in 3rd world... One gen passes to another... 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Starbucks got what food item that die die must find a seat to eat - cannot order a takeaway? 

And ffs, these Sinkie Starbucks "Reserve" .. even the ones at Thailand and Bali are more unique :( 

tis huan considered jin unique to sinkie liow cos got the chair wif back support, v comfy when surfing. dats y many are hogging

• Like 1
  • wtf 1

1 hour ago, coffeenut said:

Starbucks got what food item that die die must find a seat to eat - cannot order a takeaway? 

And ffs, these Sinkie Starbucks "Reserve" .. even the ones at Thailand and Bali are more unique :( 

Basically is jz sinkies who wanna grab kopi but cannot find seat then wanna act big customer by claiming wanna hab a meal there... 

• Wahaha 2

55 minutes ago, classyNfabulous said:

another bold way is……..jus share tables wif those using laptops loh. 

just think: 1 table got 3-4 chairs but only 1 LJ lang using for laptop. then genuine diner sit whr? just share loh, since they refuse to leave, they cannot he unhappy dat diner share table wif them 

All they need is ah gong ah ma who won't care simi n jz sit down

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Londonchocolateroll said:

Like a slice of fresh Cheese cake?

Yeah, but those things can pack and take mah .. 

I do kinda understand the disappointment of not finding a seat exactly when you want to eat, but don't think Starbucks is going to change their policy anytime soon. Too bad don't have outdoor seating outside Starbucks Reserve which would be in less demand :( 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

I do kinda understand the disappointment of not finding a seat exactly when you want to eat, but don't think Starbucks is going to change their policy anytime soon. Too bad don't have outdoor seating outside Starbucks Reserve which would be in less demand :( 

u see the outdoor at pacific plaza outside oso swamped by chao kuan pple

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 2

14 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

no need chg policy. no one will dare put up a policy consisting of can or cannot do smthg.

its all in the zidong-ness of hoggers & mgmt hv guts to force down diners to share tables wif these hoggers. not happy to share, gtfo. 

Edited by classyNfabulous
  • Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

3 minutes ago, classyNfabulous said:

u see the outdoor at pacific plaza outside oso swamped by chao kuan pple

Warao .. Looks like I've not even been noticing this stuff in ages.

Thankfully got nice smaller coffee shops/chains for my occasional coffee grabbing outdoors :( 

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

4 minutes ago, classyNfabulous said:

prefer outdoors can pple watch. only concern is smokers. annoying aff

Haha, means time to buy your own keepcup or hydroflask .. get it filled at coffee shop, then sit outside, put on shades and people watch :( 

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

Anyway you all is noob la.

The is how the pro did it.

Last time when I young, we use to do this without spending a single cents, we jus take the used cup from other ppl empty table to put on our table.

Watch and learn boy

• Wahaha 4