Pregnant woman loses baby after being 'left unattended' at A&E for 2 hours, NUH investigating

The_King

A couple recently lost their unborn child after the woman was allegedly left unattended in the emergency department for two hours. 

In a Facebook post, the man, who goes by Mee Pok Tah, wrote that his wife, who was 36 weeks pregnant, realised that she was bleeding from her birth canal last Tuesday (March 15) night while taking a shower. 

More from AsiaOneRead the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.

An ambulance took her to the National University Hospital (NUH) and reached at about 10.30pm.

According to the man, a nurse on duty came to set up a monitoring device on his wife, but left shortly after. 

"She was left there bleeding profusely and left unattended for an estimated time of two hours. No doctors and nurses came to check and attend to my wife for two hours and no one informed her that there [was] no bed in the maternity ward," he wrote. 

He said that he only received a notification that his wife was admitted into the maternity ward at 12.48am. 

However, it was too late as the doctor said that there was no heartbeat from the foetus. 

When contacted by AsiaOne on Monday (March 21), NUH said that they have been alerted to the incident and are currently investigating the matter. 

In his Facebook post, the man questioned why the hospital did not take action despite his wife's condition. "Isn’t losing excessive blood a life threatening situation to a person who is not pregnant, let alone a pregnant lady?" 

Ending off his post, the man wrote: "This is a really unfortunate incident and I can't stop thinking could my baby be saved if only we were attended to promptly. I just want to be sure it doesn't happen to anyone else." 

In a subsequent Facebook post, the man expressed his sorrow at losing his unborn child, whom he referred to as "baby Titus".

The bereaved couple also received condolences and well-wishes from many netizens. 

210322_Stillboen%20FB%20comments.jpg PHOTO: Screengrab/Faceb
  • Sad 1
  • wtf 1

NUH asks public not to speculate after viral post about 9-month pregnant woman who lost baby after A&E wait

photo6183477842575208303.jpg?itok=v1mDbQ
The woman's husband alleged that his wife, who was bleeding profusely, was "left unattended" for about 2 hours at NUH's Emergency Medicine Department. (Photo: Facebook/Mee Pok Tah)

SINGAPORE: The National University Hospital (NUH) on Tuesday (Mar 22) asked the public not to speculate after an online post was widely circulated about a nine-month pregnant woman who lost her baby after she was allegedly left unattended for about two hours while bleeding.

The woman’s husband, Facebook user Mee Pok Tah, posted on Monday about the incident.

In his post, the man said that his wife, who was 36 weeks pregnant and “bleeding profusely”, was "left unattended" for about two hours after arriving at NUH's emergency department by ambulance at about 10.30pm on Mar 15. They subsequently lost the baby, he said.

In an update to his post later on Monday afternoon, the man said that he had received a call from NUH assuring him that investigations were ongoing.

On Tuesday, NUH posted on Facebook that it was aware of the social media posts regarding the incident and was in touch with the family "to support them during this difficult time".

“Out of respect for the family, we seek the public’s understanding not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident,” it added.

"BLEEDING PROFUSELY"

The man said in his post that his wife was "bleeding profusely from the birth canal" during a bath at around 9.30pm on Mar 15.

After calling 995, the paramedics arrived in 10 minutes and his wife was taken to the NUH Accidents and Emergency (A&E) department, he said.

She arrived at the hospital at around 10.30pm and the paramedics informed a nurse about his wife's condition.

The nurse then proceeded to set up the monitoring device to check on his wife's vital signs and left, said the husband.

“She was left there bleeding profusely and left unattended for an estimated time of two hours. No doctors and nurses came to check and attend to my wife for two hours and no one informed her that there is no bed in the maternity ward,” he wrote.

He said that his wife was sent to the maternity ward after the two-hour wait, where the doctors and nurses attended to her immediately.

"After checking on my wife and the baby, the doctors told my wife that the baby heart structure was there but there was no heartbeat and hence he has passed away," the man said.

photo6183477842575208305.jpg?itok=an6t7I
Text messages received by the woman's husband from NUH. (Photo: Facebook/Mee Pok Tah)

TITUS

According to another post by the man on Mar 16, the baby, who was named Titus, was cremated at Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium.

“We are sorry baby Titus. We are unable to keep you safe and sound. We are unable to hold and touch you anymore. I hope you will be a good boy in Heaven,” he wrote.

• Sad 1

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

Just now, Huat Zai said:

“Out of respect for the family, we seek the public’s understanding not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident,” it added.

I'm pretty sure it's the family that wants us to talk about it so that you can't sweep it under the rug motherfucker.

• Like 4

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

I'm pretty sure it's the family that wants us to talk about it so that you can't sweep it under the rug motherfucker.

This one can talk cause the family wanted it

We are respecting the family by doing want that started

• Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

guess cover up operation in progress now

when all else fail

please move on

but

in Japan, Minister bow and resign

• Wahaha 3

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

1 hour ago, Huat Zai said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2021/07/30/seven-ways-to-get-your-green-card-in-the-united-states/?sh=565ed9c2487c

My country doesn't embarrass me, the government and the people on the other hand...

when a country lack of national identity this is what happen.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/st-closeup-the-rise-of-pro-china-singaporeans-and-what-it-means-for-singapore

• Like 1