Risk of conflict in next decade has become 'non-zero', Singapore needs a strong SAF

The_King

SINGAPORE — With geopolitical tensions and conflicts simmering around the world, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen has revised his assessment that today's generation in Singapore will not see regional or even global conflict. Now, he believes the risk has become "non-zero" in the next decade.

Speaking during Ministry of Defence’s (MINDEF) Committee of Supply (COS) budget debate in Parliament on Wednesday (28 February), he referred to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine and Israel-Hamas wars, as well as the trade war between the United States and China, which could grow to more areas in the name of national security.

"I can assure this House that surprises and unintended consequences are in store - some linked, others completely out of the blue. When the ambient temperature of geopolitics rises, sparks and fires will arise from multiple sources," he said.

"The risk of regional and even global conflict even in the next decade has become non-zero. I do not make this assessment lightly."

Dr Ng said that, compared to the Pioneer and Merdeka Generations, this current generation of Singaporeans have more to protect, and more resources to do so. He stressed that the government, MINDEF and the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) do not plan on the basis that we can depend on another country to come to our rescue.

"If Singaporeans will not or cannot defend Singapore, there is no backstop. That is the simple truth. A strong SAF acts a deterrence against aggression towards us and keeps adventurism at bay," he said.

Defence budget held steady in recent years

Thanking the House for supporting MINDEF's budget every year, Dr Ng emphasised that sustained defence spending is the most efficient and effective means of building a strong military over the long term.

He added that, around 20 years ago, Singapore was spending about 5 per cent of its GDP on defence. Nowadays, even though total government spending as a percentage of GDP has risen, the city-state's defence budget has held steady at around 3 per cent.

INFOGRAPHIC: MINDEF

INFOGRAPHIC: MINDEF

The fall as a percentage of GDP was not because SAF cut back on what was necessary to defend Singapore, but because of sustained spending to build a strong military over the long term.

"Today, we reap dividends of the sums we put in steadily over the past 20 years. And if we continue to invest wisely, we will reap more dividends in the future," Dr Ng said. "Steady long-term defence spending enables platforms and capabilities to mature over the necessary timeline to produce results to enhance synergy and reaps efficiencies."

Overall, MINDEF’s expenditure will hit S$20.2 billion in the 2024/2025 financial year, up 2.5 per cent from the previous year.

F-35A jets will complement F-35Bs

During the COS debate, Dr Ng told Parliament that the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) will be buying eight F-35A fighter aircraft, complementing the previously-announced purchase of 12 F-35Bs.

These fifth-generation stealth planes have been proven on the battlefield, with over 900 F-35s having flown in operations that included strikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and reconnaissance missions to locate and identify surface-to-air missile sites of Russian units in Ukraine.

The two F-35 variants have different strengths that will bolster the RSAF’s capabilities. "The F-35As are designed for greater endurance – they have the ability to carry payloads of higher capacity. They complement the F-35Bs’ short take-off and vertical landing capability," Dr Ng said.

The eight F-35As will arrive around 2030, while the delivery of the first four F-35Bs is expected in 2026, with the other eight in 2028. With this F-35 fleet replacing the air force's ageing F-16 jets, Dr Ng said they will put the RSAF in the "premier league".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_King said:

run la.

if want to defend, FT and new citizen who come here should be the same else run run run 

I was just born here, I didn't elect the government, the president or agree to having a constitution that allows basic rights to be overridden at the ruling party's discretion.  Just here until my exit plan comes together.

• Like 3

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

spend billions on weapons but no soldiers to use them.

Also who are we afraid of that we need 10x more firepower then our neighbours? Look at Ukraine, with the full force of west, it still does not look like any where winning.

I think western weapons are just glorified metal and electronics.

so how long are we expecting to fight? 2 years in Ukraine already see the whole country like the zombie movies scene. in times of war, peasants will suffer. No matter how much we spend on war machinery. I think all these is for the elites to sleep well at night that their penthouses and bungalows are around. 

i could rant all night. But one statement will ring true. Sinkies will pwn sinkies. learn a language is more important.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, zendude said:

It has never been non zero, what the mother fuck

You had the "zero possibility we will be attacked" mindset when you're in charge of our defense? 

Limbei wasted 2.5 years of the best part of my youth, and months over 10 years for a non zero threat

0jo7to79kum51.jpg

• Wahaha 2
  • Sad 2

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

21 hours ago, Huat Zai said:

Why y'all don't have the spirit of our founders? Why no one volunteer to be translator? Why?

be a translator is fine. Hope not be a toy b.. for some low rank cpl

• Wahaha 3

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 6:20 PM, Huat Zai said:

Why y'all don't have the spirit of our founders? Why no one volunteer to be translator? Why?

Later there more translator then invading army

Edited by The_King
  • Wahaha 2