Man admits charging towards retiree in dispute over void deck smoking, victim fell and died

The_King

SINGAPORE: After spotting a 74-year-old man smoking at a void deck, a bank worker confronted the older man and took photos of him.

The elderly man chased the bank worker around a pillar, and in the ensuing scuffle, the bank worker charged towards the old man, causing him to fall backwards and hit his head on the ground.

He was taken to hospital with multiple head injuries and died later that night.

Allan Chua Kim Wee, 36, pleaded guilty on Friday (Feb 3) to one count of voluntarily causing hurt, where he did not intend to cause grievous hurt, but where grievous hurt was caused.

The court heard that Chua was a customer due diligence analyst at a bank in Singapore at the time.

On Dec 25, 2021, Chua was on his way home after having breakfast at Hougang Mall when he saw the victim, 74-year-old retiree Ng Sioh Leng.

Mr Ng was smoking while sitting on a bench at a void deck of Block 328, Hougang Avenue 5.

Chua wanted to lodge a complaint about the smoking, so he began taking multiple photos of Mr Ng with his mobile phone. Chua also confronted Mr Ng about his smoking at the void deck.

Mr Ng responded by chasing Chua around a pillar, court documents stated.

Chua evaded Mr Ng and walked towards a lift lobby. However, he noticed Mr Ng advancing towards him, holding a walking stick.

Chua lowered his stance and charged towards Mr Ng, hitting Mr Ng in the stomach area with his right shoulder.

Mr Ng fell backwards from the impact and hit the back of his head on the ground.

Part of the encounter was captured on police camera footage at the lift lobby.

When Chua realised that Mr Ng was not responding after falling, he called the police.

He said: "This guy wanted to attack me with a stick and I retaliated and now he is injured. I am sorry but I need the ambulance here."

Mr Ng was taken to hospital with numerous head injuries including fractures in his skull. He was later admitted into the intensive care unit and died later that night.

An autopsy found his cause of death to be a severe head injury.

PROSECUTION SEEKING JAIL

The prosecution is seeking four years' jail for Chua, "considering that (his) actions led to the death of the victim".

He said there is no sentencing framework for offences under Section 323A, and reported and unreported precedents do not cover instances where the victim died.

He noted that Chua had initiated and continued the confrontation, and was about twice the victim's size. 

Chua was 173cm tall and weighed 100kg, while the victim was 161cm tall and 54kg.

Chua was also much more mobile than the victim, said the prosecutor.

However, he said Chua demonstrated remorse by calling for medical assistance immediately, and he was cooperative during investigations.

He will return to court next week for sentencing.

The penalties for voluntarily causing hurt, where the hurt was not intended to be grievous but turned out to be so, is a jail term of up to five years, a fine of up to S$10,000, or both.

Source: CNA/ll(zl)

1 hour ago, The_King said:

this will teach him not to be busybody. ppl smoke in bus stop or dont wear mask in bus. i also dont care, even if i want to care, what can i do.

fight? i got none

money to go courts? i got none

best is to ignore and i will live longer

Let the world burn

• Wahaha 2

6 minutes ago, The_King said:

yes, anarchy.

too bad for that fool, maybe lose job and maybe go jail. all for trying to do something that is not his problem.

Basically he became too self righteous... Sometimes our grandpa era are not totally wrong... Less 1 problem better than 1 more problem... Elderly has high risk injury/fall so maybe he could've close 1 eye... Just poh Mata can already 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XianGe said:

Basically he became too self righteous... Sometimes our grandpa era are not totally wrong... Less 1 problem better than 1 more problem... Elderly has high risk injury/fall so maybe he could've close 1 eye... Just poh Mata can already 

confirm regret now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XianGe said:

3 hours ago, The_King said:

confirm regret now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Shoulan_v._Peng_Yu

• Wahaha 2

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

Quote: The court heard that Chua was a customer due diligence analyst at a bank in Singapore at the time.

At the time? What about currently? Sack?

Even own lawyer also say this, 

Chua’s lawyer Ranjit Singh asked for 24 months’ jail instead

As long as the person nv give you trouble I usually ignore, for those food delivery rider if they too close I will point my elbow out to protect myself and as usually it usually yalam (tree)

Will be unhappy, and always use law to make u scare

They say  to meet me

1 hour ago, The_King said:

Quote: The court heard that Chua was a customer due diligence analyst at a bank in Singapore at the time.

At the time? What about currently? Sack?

Even own lawyer also say this, 

Chua’s lawyer Ranjit Singh asked for 24 months’ jail instead

As long as the person nv give you trouble I usually ignore, for those food delivery rider if they too close I will point my elbow out to protect myself and as usually it usually yalam (tree)

Will be unhappy, and always use law to make u scare

They say  to meet me

Bank sure hapi to slice him off

On 2/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, The_King said:

Chua evaded Mr Ng and walked towards a lift lobby. However, he noticed Mr Ng advancing towards him, holding a walking stick.

Chua lowered his stance and charged towards Mr Ng, hitting Mr Ng in the stomach area with his right shoulder.

Mr Ng fell backwards from the impact and hit the back of his head on the ground.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, The_King said:

Chua was 173cm tall and weighed 100kg, while the victim was 161cm tall and 54kg.

i know he didnt intend to kill... but he speared the 74 years old man with his 100kg frame... killing the old man.

deserved to be jailed.

• Like 2