Bigbird

On 8/27/2022 at 12:10 AM, Bigbird said:

Dont give up on your empty malls series leh! 

BTW how's your OMAD going,  can journal your OMAD progress and the improvement on your health eg diabetic, etc since u started?   :wink:

I like to learn on real life example rather then some hear-say webby report!

OMAD, now a normal to me. blood sugar is stable when i dont eat the extra 2 meal. up high after the omad but got insulin so can keep it stable after meal

i try to eat kidney friendly food and less and hope to hope eating processed food and less carbo

what you like to know?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 1:21 AM, The_King said:

OMAD, now a normal to me. blood sugar is stable when i dont eat the extra 2 meal. up high after the omad but got insulin so can keep it stable after meal

i try to eat kidney friendly food and less and hope to hope eating processed food and less carbo

what you like to know?

Do have a journal tracking your physical weight and bio stats?   Any changes to your immune system & all the great benefits it claims?  

Like to learn what OMAD, can do to help in some medical conditions without relying on pills!  

On 8/28/2022 at 12:37 AM, Bigbird said:

Do have a journal tracking your physical weight and bio stats?   Any changes to your immune system & all the great benefits it claims?  

Like to learn what OMAD, can do to help in some medical conditions without relying on pills!  

weight  able the same, range 81 to 86. i am still trying to eat less and eat correct. for me  fasting for 2 or 3  days is so much easier then eating

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:27 PM, The_King said:

weight  able the same, range 81 to 86. i am still trying to eat less and eat correct. for me  fasting for 2 or 3  days is so much easier then eating

Eating right for your body type i feel is important!  

I wonder what's the impact for those who does OMAD + does physical work? 

Any corrective immune reset?   Your Skin condition get even better? 

Do u also do workout?

ps. u have a tread on this right?  maybe better to use your old thread so have continuity or can ahev a new thread so that everyone can share their intermittent fasting outcome!

Edited 9 hours ago by Bigbird

10 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Eating right for your body type i feel is important!  

I wonder what's the impact for those who does OMAD + does physical work? 

Any corrective immune reset?   Your Skin condition get even better? 

Do u also do workout?

ps. u have a tread on this right?  maybe better to use your old thread so have continuity or can ahev a new thread so that everyone can share their intermittent fasting outcome!

Expand  

how is my home and elderly left that need money, once i help elderly to have enough cash to buy big ticket item, pay pub bills for the next 4 to 5 yr then i can tang ping.

what's the impact for those who does OMAD + does physical work? 

no impact at all, feel normal with very stable blood sugar, also my skin feel the same, no different.

now only walk walk 1 day for few hr per week, if i can  tang ping, i will explore building at least 3 times per week and walk daily

• Like 1

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/scientists-pinpoint-common-vegetable-lower-075739667.html

Scientists have revealed one common vegetable that can lower blood sugar levels by 50 per cent – and could see “potential use” in treating patients with diabetes.

People with Type 2 diabetes are not able to produce sufficient insulin from their pancreas to regulate blood sugar, which means that their blood sugar can reach dangerously high levels.

However, findings presented at The Endocrine Society’s 97th annual meeting in San Diego on Thursday (25 August) revealed that the extract of an onion bulb can “strongly lower” high blood sugar and total cholesterol levels when given alongside antidiabetic drug metformin.

Lead study author Anthony Ojieh of Delta State University in Abraka, Nigeria, said: “Onion is cheap and available and has been used as a nutritional supplement. It has the potential for use in treating patients with diabetes.”

The researchers tested the theory on rats. In total, three groups of rats with medically induced diabetes were given various doses of the onion extract to see if it would enhance the drug’s effect.

The doses were 200mg, 400mg, and 600mg per kilogram of body weight. The researchers also gave the drug and onion to three groups of nondiabetic rats with normal blood sugar.

The study found that, of the diabetic rats, those given 400mg and 600mg per kilogram of body weight “strongly reduced” their blood sugar levels by 50 per cent and 35 per cent respectively compared with a baseline level.

The onion extract also lowered the total cholesterol level in diabetic rats, with the 400mg and 600mg having the greatest effects.

The study also found that the onion extract led to weight gain among the nondiabetic rats, but not the diabetic rats.

“Onion is not high in calories,” Ojieh explained. “However, it seems to increase the metabolic rate and, with that, to increase the appetite, leading to an increase in feeding.

“We need to investigate the mechanism by which onion brought about the blood glucose reduction. We do not yet have an explanation.”

• Like 1

Sodium may enhance the flavours of our meals, but too much of it is bad for our health — water retention, increase in blood pressure, feeling thirsty, just to name a few.

More Herbs, Less Salt Day, which was on 29 August, highlights how herbs can replace salt to help us achieve a healthier diet without making our foods bland.

Below are some flavourful herbs and spices you can use as salt-free seasonings for your meal prep.

1. Paprika

Paprika is made of a combination of dried sweet and hot peppers. Depending on the type of paprika, its taste ranges from mild and sweet to spicy to smoked. Apart from adding colour to a recipe, this crimson-coloured powder can be used to season poultry.

Nomu Ground Smoked Paprika, 30g

S$3.90 at Amazon

NOMU Ground Smoked Paprika, 30g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

NOMU Ground Smoked Paprika, 30g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Simply Organic Ground Paprika, 84g

S$8.28 S$9.20 at Amazon

Simply Organic Ground Paprika, 84g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Simply Organic Ground Paprika, 84g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

2. Basil

Basil is an herb essential in Italian cooking, but it is also used in Thai and Vietnamese cuisines. Known as the main ingredient in traditional pesto, basil has a fragrant, sweet smell and peppery taste. It is best used as seasoning for pasta, beef, and poultry.

Nomu, Basil Leaves, 13g

S$3.51 S$3.90 at Amazon

NOMU, Basil Leaves, 13g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

NOMU, Basil Leaves, 13g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

McCormick Basil Leaves, 17g

S$4.45 at Amazon

McCormick Basil Leaves, 17g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

McCormick Basil Leaves, 17g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

3. Rosemary

Rosemary is a shrub with aromatic, needle-like leaves. Its lemony and woodsy taste lends deep flavours to meats like lamb, pork and chicken. Rosemary also pairs well with potatoes and stews.

McCormick Rosemary Leaves, 9g

S$4.02 S$4.70 at Amazon

McCormick Rosemary Leaves, 9g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

McCormick Rosemary Leaves, 9g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Arogaia Arogaia Organic Rosemary Jar, 50 g

S$12.20 at Amazon

AROGAIA Arogaia Organic Rosemary Jar, 50 g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

AROGAIA Arogaia Organic Rosemary Jar, 50 g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

4. Cinnamon

Cinnamon has a spicy-sweet taste that makes it a great addition to sweet and savoury dishes. Its aroma may be pleasant to some, but repelling for others. Besides adding a dash to your drink (coffee, tea, or hot chocolate), it can also be used on bread and pork.

Nature's Superfoods Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder, 100g

S$8.01 S$8.93 at Amazon

Nature's Superfoods Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder, 100g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Nature's Superfoods Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder, 100g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

RedMan Cinnamon Sticks 4", 100G

S$2.90 at Amazon

RedMan Cinnamon Sticks 4

RedMan Cinnamon Sticks 4", 100G. (Photo: Amazon SG)

5. Cumin

Cumin is commonly used in Latin American, Middle Eastern, North African, and Indian cuisines. The brownish-yellow seed, also available in ground form, is a typical ingredient in chilli powder and spice blends. Its warm, earthy flavour and sweet and bitter aroma makes it a good seasoning for fish and pork.

Ground Cumin, 50g

S$2.90 at Amazon

Ground Cumin, 50g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Ground Cumin, 50g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Malika Cumin Seeds, 500g

S$4 at Amazon

Malika Cumin Seeds, 500g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Malika Cumin Seeds, 500g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

6. Oregano

Oregano is best known as an herb used in pizza and pasta sauce. It has a pungent aroma and tastes earthy and slightly bitter. Dried oregano is more common, which has a less aggressive flavour than fresh oregano. It is an ideal seasoning for pasta and poultry.

MasterFoods H&S Oregano Leaves, 5g Jar

S$3.36 at Amazon

MasterFoods H&S Oregano Leaves, 5g Jar. (Photo: Amazon SG)

MasterFoods H&S Oregano Leaves, 5g Jar. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Nomu Oregano Leaves, 17g

S$3.51 S$3.90 at Amazon

NOMU Oregano Leaves, 17g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

NOMU Oregano Leaves, 17g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

BONUS: SEASONING BLENDS

If you don’t want to rely on a single herb or spice for your meals, consider using seasoning blends that will make your dishes stand out even if you don’t use salt. Some common blends include Italian seasoning, cajun seasoning, and curry seasoning.

Simply Organic Italian Seasoning, 27g

S$7.47 S$8.30 at Amazon

Simply Organic Italian Seasoning, 27g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

Simply Organic Italian Seasoning, 27g. (Photo: Amazon SG)

MasterFoods H&S Cajun Seasoning, 35g Jar

S$3.95 at Amazon

MasterFoods H&S Cajun Seasoning, 35g Jar. (Photo: Amazon SG)

MasterFoods H&S Cajun Seasoning, 35g Jar. (Photo: Amazon SG)

McCormick Curry Powder, 1 lb

S$16.31 at Amazon

McCormick Curry Powder, 1 lb. (Photo: Amazon SG)

McCormick Curry Powder, 1 lb. (Photo: Amazon SG)

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/types-of-herbs-and-spices-to-replace-sodium-in-your-diet-031012501.html

• Like 2

Long-term administration of soft drink causes memory impairment and oxidative damage in adult and middle-aged rats
Author links open overlay panelMichelle LimaGarcezabTatianiBellettini-SantosbGustavo LuisSchiavocKaren VasconcelosCalixtobcFrancielleMinacEduarda BehenckMedeiroscGabriel CasagrandeZabotcNathalia de SouzaPereiracNatália Baltazar doNascimentocDébora BorgesTomazcMaria Cecília ManentiAlexandrecEwaKucharskadEduardo PachecoRicocJosianeBudnic
Laboratory of Translational Neuroscience, Department of Biochemistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC), Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Graduate Program of Research and Extension (CEPEG), University Center of Espirito Santo, Espírito Santo, Brazil
Laboratory of Experimental Neurology, Graduate Program in Health Sciences, University of Southern Santa Catarina (UNESC), Criciúma, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Jesuit University Ignatianum in Krakow, Faculty of Education, Institute of Educational Science, Poland
Received 2 February 2022, Revised 13 June 2022, Accepted 21 June 2022, Available online 26 June 2022, Version of Record 7 July 2022.
Section Editor: Zsolt Radak

Long-term administration of soft drink causes memory impairment and oxidative damage in adult and middle-aged rats
Author links open overlay panelMichelle LimaGarcezabTatianiBellettini-SantosbGustavo LuisSchiavocKaren VasconcelosCalixtobcFrancielleMinacEduarda BehenckMedeiroscGabriel CasagrandeZabotcNathalia de SouzaPereiracNatália Baltazar doNascimentocDébora BorgesTomazcMaria Cecília ManentiAlexandrecEwaKucharskadEduardo PachecoRicocJosianeBudnic
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2022.111873Get rights and content

Highlights
Cola-based soft drinks induces memory impairment at different ages.
Cola-based soft drinks induces increase of ROS marker in the hippocampus.
Cola-based soft drinks induces increase of lipid peroxidation in the hippocampus.
Cola-based soft drinks induces alteration in the activity of oxidative enzymes.

Abstract
Introduction
The consumption of soft drinks has increased considerably in recent decades, mainly cola soft drinks. Excessive consumption of cola-based soft drinks is associated with several diseases and cognitive decline, particularly memory impairment. Furthermore, diets with high sugar can promote insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and dyslipidemia.

Aim
Thus, the present study aimed to evaluate the effect of cola soft drink intake on behavioral alterations and oxidative damage in 2-, 8- and 14- month-old male Wistar rats.

Methods
The soft drink groups drank soft drink and/or water ad libitum during 67 days, the control groups ingested only water. Radial-arm maze and Y-maze were used to evaluate spatial memory, open-field to evaluate the habituation memory, and inhibitory avoidance to evaluate aversive memory. The behavioral tests started at the day 57 and finished at day 67 of treatment. At 68th day, the rats were killed; frontal cortex and hippocampus were dissected to the analysis of antioxidants enzymes catalase (CAT) and superoxide dismutase (SOD); and the oxidative markers thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and dichloro-dihydro-fluorescein diacetate (DCFH) were measured in the hippocampus.

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/health/2022/08/31/could-cola-be-making-you-dumb-a-study-says-yes
Results and discussion
The cola-based soft drink intake caused memory impairment in the radial-arm maze, Y-maze task, and open-field in the 2- and 8-month-old rat, but not in the 14-month-old. There were no difference among groups in the inhibitory avoidance test. In the frontal cortex, soft drink intake reduced CAT activity in the 8-month-old rats and SOD activity in the 8- and 14-month-old rats. In the hippocampus, the soft drink increased CAT activity in 2- and 8-month-old rats, increased DCFH levels at all ages, and increased TBARS levels in 2-month-rats. Therefore, the results show that long-term soft drink intake leads to memory impairment and oxidative stress. The younger seems to be more susceptible to the soft drink alterations on behavior; however, soft drink caused alterations in the oxidative system at all ages evaluated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bigbird said:

I wonder what is the percentage of people who starts getting dementia by age group! :hmm:

Dementia also got stages!

Not sure if our health care got keep track or not.

There might be some un-reported cases if family members never take these patients for hospital check up and think it's part of aging.

Dementia is really a long goodbye to loved ones. Can slowly watch loved one whom u know become someone you do not know anymore.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chamfer said:

Not sure if our health care got keep track or not.

There might be some un-reported cases if family members never take these patients for hospital check up and think it's part of aging.

Dementia is really a long goodbye to loved ones. Can slowly watch loved one whom u know become someone you do not know anymore.

MOH does track.  But mostly are raw data.  Someone from PHD student in NUS must prepare a paper on SG Dementia cases to make it more reader friendly!

Early stage dementia eg stage 1 & 2, mostly family members and elderly folks will just past it off as "forgetful" incidences!  Its the subsequent stages of dementia that is more trying and family/caregivers will seek help! Just like cancer loh.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...