After winning race, ACS(I) athlete shoves Hwa Chong rival in chest for bumping him off track earlier

The_King

It was caught on camera.

An Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) athlete shoved a Hwa Chong Institution rival in the chest after winning the 1,500m (A-Boys) at the National School Games - Track & Field Championships on April 19.

Earlier in the race, both athletes ran too close to each other, which resulted in the ACS(I) athlete being momentarily bumped off the track at the National Stadium.

Despite the setback, the ACS(I) athlete managed to beat the other 15 athletes to the finish line.

The Hwa Chong athlete was disqualified.

National marathon record holder Soh Rui Yong shared a video of the bump on Facebook and said: “ACS(I) boy somehow dramatically flies into the infield and takes about 16 steps on the grass before coming back.

“Wayang la boy. Elbows clash in 1,500m pack running all the time. You’re an athlete. If you’re clashing with an 18-year-old distance runner that weighs about 57kg and he manages to knock you that far away with one elbow, you need to do some pushups.”

ANOTHER DQ FOR HWA CHONG - Shocking officiating (again) at the National Schools Track and Field Championships

I don’t know what is happening at this year’s National Schools Track and Field Championships but this is now 2 dubious calls against Hwa Chong Institution. The first was the joke of a disqualification in the ‘A’ Boys 400m hurdles. Video: Hwa Chong boy and ACS(I) boy clash elbows in the 1,500m final. ACS(I) boy somehow dramatically flies into the infield and takes about 16 steps on the grass before coming back. Wayang la boy. Elbows clash in 1500m pack running all the time. You’re an athlete. If you’re clashing with an 18 year old distance runner that weighs about 57kg and he manages to knock you that far away with one elbow, you need to do some pushups. Anyway. ACS(I) boy does very well to overcome this setback and win the gold medal. End of story, right? WRONG! Hwa Chong boy somehow gets disqualified by the official! Watch the video and tell me if the Hwa Chong boy did anything against the rules at all. This is a very wrong and disgraceful decision that cannot be allowed to stand in the spirit of fair competition.

Posted by Soh Rui Yong(苏睿勇) on Friday 19 April 2024

Soh added that the ACS(I) athlete did very well to overcome the setback and win the gold medal, but Soh disagreed with the decision to disqualify the Hwa Chong athlete.

It did not end there.

Soh then shared a video showing what happened immediately after the race

Post-race fight as ACS runner pushes Hwa Chong rival in the chest!

“We’re not gangsters, we’re ACS boys”? How about you’re both? Following on the previous video, the ACS runner who finished in first position then saw fit to turn around, look for the Hwa Chong boy, and push him in the chest. Hwa Chong boy was disqualified for the mid race clash of elbows incident. ACS boy not penalised for this action. There is precedent to show that this is a DQ offence: https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2011/jul/23/mehdi-baala-mahiedine-mekh...

Posted by Soh Rui Yong(苏睿勇) on Saturday 20 April 2024

He posted: "'We’re not gangsters, we’re ACS boys'? How about you’re both?

"Following on the previous video, the ACS runner who finished in first position then saw fit to turn around, look for the Hwa Chong boy and push him in the chest.

"Hwa Chong boy was disqualified for the mid-race clash of elbows incident. ACS boy not penalised for this action."

You can watch the entire 1,500m (A-Boys) race in the video uploaded by Singapore Athletics below.

• Like 2