Vladimir Putin apologized for high prices for eggs and chicken after a pensioner complained

The_King

MOSCOW, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin issued a rare apology on Thursday when a pensioner complained to him about the price of eggs.

During Putin's end-of-year question and answer session with the media and with members of the public calling in from across Russia, pensioner Irina Akopova was shown seated at her kitchen table and addressing the president by video link.

She complained that prices for eggs, chicken breasts and wings had all skyrocketed.

"Vladimir Vladimirovich, take pity on pensioners! We don't get millions in our pensions. Sort this out - we have no one to turn to," she said. "I'm very grateful to you, I'm counting on you to help."

The question reflected real concern among Russians at the cost of living, and came after Putin had already acknowledged that inflation may approach 8% this year.

"I apologise for this, but this is a failure of the government's work... I promise that the situation will be corrected in the near future," Putin said.

• Wahaha 1
  • nomnomnom 1