Uncle Roger says Singapore's food is 'less good' than Malaysia's - here's how Singaporeans responded

The_King

Food brings us all together. However, for Malaysians and Singaporeans, it can sometimes turn competitive. 

Nigel Ng — better known as Uncle Roger on YouTube — decided to pick a side when asked about his thoughts on Singapore's food in a recent Straits Times interview, and let's just say he didn't mince his words. 

More from AsiaOneRead the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.

According to the 31-year-old Malaysian comedian, Singapore's food is a "weird, less good version of what we do (in Malaysia)." 

He also added how Singapore's bak kut teh is "pale" and "transparent". 

"I think there are more similarities than differences, but Malaysia has better food, especially in Penang". 

Netizens took to Facebook to respond to his remarks, with many debating whether Malaysian food was actually better.

Screenshot%202022-06-16%20at%2012.16.33% PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook/TheStraitsTimes

Others were offended by his remark and left heated comments expressing their anger.

altaltalt

160622_comments_fb.jpg PHOTOS: Screengrab/Facebook/TheStraitsTimes

But perhaps we shouldn't be surprised by his response during the interview — after all the comedian is known for his brutal honesty and witty barbs. 

He even made a surprise appearance on the second season of MasterChef Singapore, just to roast the contestants. 

One contestant was told, "I hear you got newborn? Why you out here messing around with 11 other people? You're a terrible father. Haiyah."

Nigel also branded the contestants "slow", telling them that "Uncle Roger grandma cook faster than you".

• Wahaha 1

5 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

once u jiak this kl fishhead liao, u will never jiak hong lim fishhead.

wahahahahahahahaha

Simple Life 简单的生活: Mun Kee Steam Fish Head 文记鱼头王蒸鱼头@ Happy Garden, KL

me try to limit my salt to 1500mg (which is easy since i am on omad) but 2 to 3 times on my cheat day i guessing it 2000 to 3000mg

for me as long as the food is not low salt or keto friendly, i am not really interested (please leave out the pork kunckle)

• Wahaha 1

7 minutes ago, The_King said:

me try to limit my salt to 1500mg (which is easy since i am on omad) but 2 to 3 times on my cheat day i guessing it 2000 to 3000mg

for me as long as the food is not low salt or keto friendly, i am not really interested (please leave out the pork kunckle)

kor kor will find that the fishhead is actually fresher in imbi compared to hong lim.

limpeh always order clear steam or ginger to have the real freshness.

wahahahahahahahaha

• Wahaha 1

2 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

kor kor will find that the fishhead is actually fresher in imbi compared to hong lim.

limpeh always order clear steam or ginger to have the real freshness.

wahahahahahahahaha

me dont really eat fish la cause fish is expensive, and dont really eat seafood . i guess after a while durian and seafood no longer in my diet

i dont listen to stupid ppl tell me fish is cheaper then chicken

Edited by The_King
  • Wahaha 1

2 minutes ago, The_King said:

me dont really eat fish la cause fish is expensive, and dont really eat seafood . i guess after a while durian and seafood no longer in my diet

i dont listen to stupid ppl tell me fish is cheaper then chicken

last time fishhead is poor man's food until some kgk scientist found out that salmon fishhead actually is rich in omega 3 and collegen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/03/07/286881659/why-we-should-quit-tossing-fish-heads-and-eat-em-up-instead-yum#:~:text=Fish bones%2C brains%2C cartilage and,reducing pollution from processing facilities.

so thats why u find fishhead to be super expensive even though not many people like to eat them.

eating fishhead is an acquired taste.

wahahahahahahahaha

7 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

last time fishhead is poor man's food until some kgk scientist found out that salmon fishhead actually is rich in omega 3 and collegen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/03/07/286881659/why-we-should-quit-tossing-fish-heads-and-eat-em-up-instead-yum#:~:text=Fish bones%2C brains%2C cartilage and,reducing pollution from processing facilities.

so thats why u find fishhead to be super expensive even though not many people like to eat them.

eating fishhead is an acquired taste.

wahahahahahahahaha

ya, i cant suck that fish eye ball. yuck

i more into keto or low carbs