Cultural difference between SG and MY

The_King

Whilst vacationing in SG, I'd thought I note down some cultural differences between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, MY

1) fast food - server or cashier will always ask if you want ketchup or chilli in Singapore. While in KL, they just serve you chilli and when u ask for ketchup the cashier will reluctantly give u ketchup like you owe McDonald's

2) fast food 2 - Singapore people generally put their empty trays to the dedicated waste disposal area. KL people just leave it on table expect the staff to clean it.

3) MRT - people in Singapore always stand on the left of the lift, if not will kena sound by people trying to cut on the right. In Malaysia no one cares.

4) Retail staffs - Staff in Singapore generally more observant and will ask you if you need a basket or trolley or need any help. Malaysia staff don't care.

5) Water - In Singapore you can drink tap water without filter but in Malaysia you can't do that. So water is basically free in Singapore for it's people.

6) Pedestrian crossing - In Singapore pedestrians normally have a right of way. Cars and motorcycles will stop for pedestrians while in Malaysia you probably get hit.

7) Crimes - in Singapore people are always reminded not to steal, be it items at supermarket or bicycles. Supermarkets will play the reminders in loops and will remind people of the consequences. No such thing in KL. It's quite annoying sometimes.

8) Illegal business - In Singapore there's no illegal street vendors. In KL it's everywhere.

9) English - Malays in Singapore are very good English speakers, even those B40 Malays in Singapore. I'm shocked at first when I try to speak Malay to a Malay in Singapore and they replied in English. I encountered this a few times.

This thread is not to bash Malaysia or Singapore but just share some cultural differences. Feel free some some of your observations whether Malaysia or Singapore to learn from each other. Singapore of course is not perfect.

sauce: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/5244577

4 hours ago, The_King said:

4) Retail staffs - Staff in Singapore generally more observant and will ask you if you need a basket or trolley or need any help. Malaysia staff don't care.

i kena a few times liao. whenever i go parkson. the staff will just stand around chit chatting to each other than assist customer. then i ask them if they got a certain size for a shirt, they like not happy cos i interuppted their chit chatting KNN

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1
  • wtf 1

4 hours ago, The_King said:

8) Illegal business - In Singapore there's no illegal street vendors. In KL it's everywhere.

cos all illegal biz are made to pay for licence and become legal liao.

just look at our neighbourhood those loan you money shop.

open the door nia all the gold hair ang kong sia ah long look alike sitting inside  LOL

• Wahaha 3

#1 sinkieland ask chiu cos they dun wan chiu 2 waste... Else increase cost for them...

#2 sinkieland alot self entitled ppl who dun clear trays so it's incorrect...

#3 who would wanna kenna stomp? It's not by choice but afraid getting embarrassed

#4 it's comission based so if no earnings it hurt them too... Truelyasia retail probably lowly fixed paid so no incentive to attract ppl buy ..

#5 water is notch free... Jz bcos the author doesn't pay bills here assumes it's free... Sinkieland buy cheap cheap n sell many times more to ppl... 

#6 who would wanna kenna fine/jail/ban? Wif so much camera around u hit one and tats it... Unless u hab immunity else sure appear in internet... 

#7 there's still some shoplifting not totally 0... N there's always articles in MSM saying sinkies commit more crime .. 

#8 yes it's licensed so no matter how scam they r, they still pay license to operate... Besides there's always self righteous ppl who will poh Mata for things they dun like even if it's special massage parlor... Besides... the Mata here r paid higher to prevent corruption... 

#9 knn ppl here need go school n education is in English not truelyasia language... 

• Full Of Win 3

18 hours ago, Coffee_O said:

i kena a few times liao. whenever i go parkson. the staff will just stand around chit chatting to each other than assist customer. then i ask them if they got a certain size for a shirt, they like not happy cos i interuppted their chit chatting KNN

ya cos they underpaid....lol just pass time only

• Like 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

23 hours ago, Coffee_O said:

cos all illegal biz are made to pay for licence and become legal liao.

just look at our neighbourhood those loan you money shop.

open the door nia all the gold hair ang kong sia ah long look alike sitting inside  LOL

Speak and greet them in malay. Confirm better service

On 2/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Coffee_O said:

7 hours ago, aaur4man said:

ya cos they underpaid....lol just pass time only

when in kl, limpeh only go shop here.

confirm better service.

ISETAN THE JAPAN STORE LOT 10, Kuala Lumpur - Menu, Prices & Restaurant  Reviews - Tripadvisor

• Wahaha 1
  • wtf 1