Nearly 1,000 Tengah households sign up for centralised cooling system

The_King

NP_20201020_MNTENGAH_6046988.jpg?itok=V7

Nearly 1,000 households have signed up for the centralised cooling system (CCS) in the upcoming "forest town" of Tengah, where some 8,000 Build-To-Order (BTO) flats have been launched so far.

Home owners who opt for the energy-efficient system will save around 15 per cent to 20 per cent in upfront costs compared with current market rates, and up to 30 per cent in life cycle costs, energy utilities provider SP Group, which runs the system in Tengah, said yesterday.

The CCS is one of many smart features that will be implemented in Tengah, which is billed as a "smart energy" town powered by artificial intelligence.

Under the CCS, chilled water will be piped to homes from centralised chillers installed on the rooftops of selected Housing Board (HDB) blocks.

This is more energy-efficient than conventional air-conditioning systems, said SP Group.

The system will be powered by solar energy generated by vertical and horizontal solar panels on the rooftops of HDB blocks.

Residents will be able to monitor and control their home energy usage via the MyTengah app, which will be run by SP Group.

They will be able to locate electric vehicle charging points via the app, and earn points to be exchanged for rewards by taking part in sustainable activities.

A digital dashboard will be installed at the lift lobby of each block, which tracks its utilities consumption and impact on the environment.

These eco-boards will also provide residents with tips on how to reduce electrical and water consumption, on top of promoting "sustainable behaviour through utilities-savings competitions between blocks", said SP Group.

Future residents and the public can now visit the new MyTengah Experience Centre at the HDB Hub at Toa Payoh Central.

There, they can learn more about the CCS and other eco-friendly solutions that will be implemented in Tengah.

Advance booking is recommended, though walk-ins are allowed, subject to capacity.

The 97 sq m experience centre can take around 16 visitors at any one time.

Mr S. Harsha, managing director of sustainable energy solutions in Singapore for SP Group, said Tengah will be the first town to have a large-scale centralised cooling system, in line with national sustainability efforts.

There are plans to provide predictive air-conditioning maintenance services for home owners using the data collected, he said.

"This is part of the end-to-end service SP Group hopes to provide, on top of the regular maintenance of the centralised chillers," said Mr Harsha.

98 PER CENT OPT IN

Around 98 per cent of the households introduced to the CCS by SP Group staff opted in, although Mr Harsha noted that they were not able to contact all 8,000 households because of the Covid-19 restrictions.

Payment will be made only on the day owners collect the keys to their new homes, with air-conditioning units by Daikin pre-installed, said SP Group.

The group declined to reveal the exact cost of the CCS.

for me it always about the money

First: how will i be billed? by fixed amount (say operating cost, upkeeping cost,  maintenance of the chiller, etc....)  then usage (as in how much i use i pay) or just purely usage charge?  or other type of charge? 

2nd: is the maintenance services compulsory ? if yes how much will i need to service to meet the minimum requirement?  

3rd: can i choose not have maintenance services. if yes, will i be at fault if something happen? 

4th: if the chiller need to replace, how will it be charge? cause a chiller is super expensive (price here https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-mc-gets-nod-from-court-to-remove-cooling-towers)

5th: will it be compulsory to  maintenance the FCU (the one inside my home) if yes how much and how many time per year? or can i DIY?

6th: what if the chill water leak? who pay?

7th: how often the parts need to be replace?

Edited by The_King
  • Like 1

I just spoke to the guy from SP.

Aircon service = recommended twice per year est $35 per unit, but not compulsory 

Warranty period = 18 mths

Fancoil unit used is not the same as normal aircon 

Parts replacement during warranty is covered, after warranty have to get from SP. Not expecting parts replacement to be so frequent.

No compressor, system is by chilled water.

Pipe leaking common issue in aircon system pvc piping mi Japan and germany. If leak happen (7-10 years) , owner have to pay.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, The_King said:

for me it always about the money

First: how will i be billed? by fixed amount (say operating cost, upkeeping cost,  maintenance of the chiller, etc....)  then usage (as in how much i use i pay) or just purely usage charge?  or other type of charge? 

2nd: is the maintenance services compulsory ? if yes how much will i need to service to meet the minimum requirement?  

3rd: can i choose not have maintenance services. if yes, will i be at fault if something happen? 

4th: if the chiller need to replace, how will it be charge? cause a chiller is super expensive (price here https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-mc-gets-nod-from-court-to-remove-cooling-towers)

5th: will it be compulsory to  maintenance the FCU (the one inside my home) if yes how much and how many time per year? or can i DIY?

6th: what if the chill water leak? who pay?

7th: how often the parts need to be replace?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sofero said:

I just spoke to the guy from SP.

Aircon service = recommended twice per year est $35 per unit, but not compulsory 

Warranty period = 18 mths

Fancoil unit used is not the same as normal aircon 

Parts replacement during warranty is covered, after warranty have to get from SP. Not expecting parts replacement to be so frequent.

No compressor, system is by chilled water.

Pipe leaking common issue in aircon system pvc piping mi Japan and germany. If leak happen (7-10 years) , owner have to pay.

thanks a lot.

which mean, i cant dont service at all since it no compulsory , can wait until  not cold then take action or i can DIY to clean.

what about the money?

how will i be billed? by fixed amount (say operating cost, upkeeping cost,  maintenance of the chiller, etc....)  then usage (as in how much i use i pay) or just purely usage charge?  or other type of charge? 

if the chiller need to replace, how will it be charge? who pay? cause a chiller is super expensive (price here https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-mc-gets-nod-from-court-to-remove-cooling-towers)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_King said:

thanks a lot.

which mean, i cant dont service at all since it no compulsory , can wait until  not cold then take action or i can DIY to clean.

Yes can don't service at all.

You can also call outside contractor come do but no guarantee they can fix.

Yes u can diy but if spoil or then obviously like other things it won't be covered by warranty, or it's at your own risk.

what about the money?

how will i be billed? by fixed amount (say operating cost, upkeeping cost,  maintenance of the chiller, etc....)  then usage (as in how much i use i pay) or just purely usage charge?  or other type of charge? 

One time cost for fcu installation and commissioning, payable at key collection.

Subsequently monthly it's charged by electricity that u use to run the aircon , so that will form part of your electricity bill.

If spoil during warranty not by user problem then the warranty covers, if after warranty period then it's as per other aircon service u need pay according to the service provider + spare parts.

Servicing is you ownself arrange and charged per fcu.

No other costs. 

if the chiller need to replace, how will it be charge? who pay? cause a chiller is super expensive (price here https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/condo-mc-gets-nod-from-court-to-remove-cooling-towers)

Cos run by cooled water, so no gas/coolant replacement needed. U only take care of the fcu and the pipe inside ur house is your daiji. The centralized parts spoiled residents no need to pay.

• Full Of Win 1

One caveat, not all blocks got the centralized compressor unit.

Like my case I am top floor but my block got no compressor unit, so what will happen is the pipe will run from a nearby block, the tower is at the rooftop that cools the water and run down the pipe then it goes underground and then pump up my block through the pipe running in the rise.

So actually my unit gets the cool water last 😂

Really have to keep my fingers crossed and pray hard hard:please:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sofero said:

One caveat, not all blocks got the centralized compressor unit.

Like my case I am top floor but my block got no compressor unit, so what will happen is the pipe will run from a nearby block, the tower is at the rooftop that cools the water and run down the pipe then it goes underground and then pump up my block through the pipe running in the rise.

So actually my unit gets the cool water last 😂

Really have to keep my fingers crossed and pray hard hard:please:

Like tat still cool?

2 hours ago, Sofero said:

Yes can don't service at all.

You can also call outside contractor come do but no guarantee they can fix.

Yes u can diy but if spoil or then obviously like other things it won't be covered by warranty, or it's at your own risk.

One time cost for fcu installation and commissioning, payable at key collection.

Subsequently monthly it's charged by electricity that u use to run the aircon , so that will form part of your electricity bill.

If spoil during warranty not by user problem then the warranty covers, if after warranty period then it's as per other aircon service u need pay according to the service provider + spare parts.

Servicing is you ownself arrange and charged per fcu.

No other costs. 

Cos run by cooled water, so no gas/coolant replacement needed. U only take care of the fcu and the pipe inside ur house is your daiji. The centralized parts spoiled residents no need to pay.

please share the bill when you have

5 hours ago, XianGe said:

Just chiu picked tengah bro leh? Bery far from city

Nowadays who need to go city? 

Left roaches go orchard road Jalan Jalan and finance ppl in CBD.

Rest of the chao sinkie peasants just need to stay in their satellite town can already. 

Tengah got Jurong lake district can survive one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sofero said:

Nowadays who need to go city? 

Left roaches go orchard road Jalan Jalan and finance ppl in CBD.

Rest of the chao sinkie peasants just need to stay in their satellite town can already. 

Tengah got Jurong lake district can survive one.

Ya actually number of times to orchard within last few months can count using 1 hand