[Football] The Premier League thread

ManOfTheHour

Talking to Nelson and Terence Loh, founders of the Novena Global Lifecare  about President Obama and the Education Benefit Gala

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Several directors resigned from a Singaporean firm linked to bidders for soccer club Newcastle United on Tuesday, the latest hiatus for the bidding group since Reuters reported doctored photos of Barack Obama were among various suspect claims it had made.

The resignations from consultancy Axington, owned by Singaporean cousins Terence and Nelson Loh, included its chairman, Chinese jeweller Evangeline Shen, according to filings with the exchange.

The Lohs and Shen are the co-founders of newly formed Bellagraph Nova Group (BN Group), which said last month it was in advanced talks to buy Newcastle. It has described itself as a "conglomerate" with turnover last year of $12 billion (8.95 billion pounds).

The board exits follow the former U.S. ambassador to Singapore's decision to quit the firm as its stock price sank last week and came as the company said it plans to make "strategic changes" in its "business direction".

Reuters reported on Aug 22 that BN Group had admitted to doctoring photos of former U.S. President Obama in marketing materials and had released other information about the group prematurely or in error.

Local Singapore media subsequently reported other inconsistencies in claims made on the group's website, press releases and social media posts, which the firm said "appears to be the result of the actions of certain errant individuals".

Many of those press releases have since been deleted, its social media accounts have been deactivated and a password is now required to view BN Group's website.

In other recent developments, luxury jewellery brand Bulgari has refuted the group's claims of a business association, and Singapore's Business Times newspaper reported some regional investors were trying to withdraw investments from other BN group entities.

BN Group did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment. It was quoted by the Straits Times newspaper saying it will appoint independent legal counsel to investigate the posting of the marketing material and will not address any further media queries until investigations are completed.

The Singapore Exchange's regulatory arm last week called for a probe of Axington's directors "in light of recent developments", shortly before the company postponed a shareholder meeting saying it needed time to review its plans.

At that meeting, shareholders had been due to vote on switching Axington's business to medical services and robotics, and change its name to NETX, a firm that BN Group had heavily marketed as one of its entities.

Also among Tuesday's four resignations was executive director Marjory Loh, Terence Loh's sister, who cited "recent intense public scrutiny on the company" for stepping down, according to filings with the Singapore Exchange.

A spokeswoman for Singapore's corporate regulator ACRA has also said it is taking enforcement action on two other companies linked to the Lohs for not filing annual returns.

Have Man Utd signed Van de Beek to sit on the bench? - Football365

Manchester United have signed Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax for £35m, plus £5m in add-ons, on a five-year contract.

Van de Beek, 23, played 175 first-team games for Ajax, scoring 41 goals and helping them make a surprise run to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals.

He will be available for United's opening game of the 2020-21 season against Crystal Palace on 19 September.

Van de Beek is the Premier League club's first summer signing.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.56cf4303b4254e2486405b9bc47d6435.jpeg
Chelsea have signed attacking midfielder Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen on a five-year contract in a deal worth about £71m.

The Germany international has scored 36 goals and contributed 25 assists in 118 appearances for the Bundesliga club.

He is Chelsea's second most expensive signing after Kepa Arrizabalaga joined from Athletic Bilbao (£71.6m) in 2018.

"I am very happy and proud to be here. It is a dream come true to play in a big club like Chelsea," said Havertz.

The £71m fee for Havertz includes add-ons.

Everton confirm signing of James Rodríguez from Real Madrid for £20m |  Everton | The Guardian

Everton have confirmed the signing of James Rodriguez from Real Madrid for a reported £22 million ($29m) fee.

The Colombia international has signed a two-year contract with an option for a third as he reunites with Carlo Ancelotti, who brought him to Madrid in 2014.

The midfielder then teamed up with Ancelotti again at Bayern Munich, where he spent two seasons on loan before returning to the Spanish capital last year.

James made just eight appearances in La Liga last season as Zinedine Zidane's men lifted the title and had less than a year left on his contract with the Santiago Bernabeu side.

“I am really, really happy to be at this great club, a club with so much history, and here with a manager who knows me really well,” the former Monaco and Porto star told Everton's website.

“I’m looking forward to achieving great things here – and winning things, which is what everyone’s aim is.

“I’ve come here to try to improve, to get better. I’ve also come here to help the team to win, to play good football – entertaining football.

“I’m convinced, with Carlo and his technical staff, we can achieve big things and one of the big reasons [I signed] was the presence of Carlo Ancelotti.

“I have enjoyed some great times with him previously at two different clubs. That was a massive reason to come here.”

Ancelotti, meanwhile, was delighted to welcome the 29-year-old to Goodison Park and hopes he can improve the team as they look to build on last season's 12th-place finish.

“James, as everyone knows, is a fantastic player with a lot of quality and a lot of ability to make assists for the strikers," the coach said.

“He’s really excited about the project of the club and the fact we want to improve. He was really excited to sign and I didn’t spend time to convince him - he was already convinced. 

• Like 1

_114277150_jamesrodriguez.png

Everton have confirmed the signing of James Rodriguez from Real Madrid for a reported £22 million ($29m) fee.

The Colombia international has signed a two-year contract with an option for a third as he reunites with Carlo Ancelotti, who brought him to Madrid in 2014.

The midfielder then teamed up with Ancelotti again at Bayern Munich, where he spent two seasons on loan before returning to the Spanish capital last year.

James made just eight appearances in La Liga last season as Zinedine Zidane's men lifted the title and had less than a year left on his contract with the Santiago Bernabeu side.

“I am really, really happy to be at this great club, a club with so much history, and here with a manager who knows me really well,” the former Monaco and Porto star told Everton's website.

“I’m looking forward to achieving great things here – and winning things, which is what everyone’s aim is.

“I’ve come here to try to improve, to get better. I’ve also come here to help the team to win, to play good football – entertaining football.

“I’m convinced, with Carlo and his technical staff, we can achieve big things and one of the big reasons [I signed] was the presence of Carlo Ancelotti.

“I have enjoyed some great times with him previously at two different clubs. That was a massive reason to come here.”

Ancelotti, meanwhile, was delighted to welcome the 29-year-old to Goodison Park and hopes he can improve the team as they look to build on last season's 12th-place finish.

“James, as everyone knows, is a fantastic player with a lot of quality and a lot of ability to make assists for the strikers," the coach said.

“He’s really excited about the project of the club and the fact we want to improve. He was really excited to sign and I didn’t spend time to convince him - he was already convinced. 

• Like 1