Coffee machine sent for repairs in Thailand houses a graveyard of cockroaches

The_King

coffee-machine-repairs-cockroaches-cover

Man finds mass grave of cockroaches in coffee machine sent for repairs

A single cockroach can reduce even the toughest man into a sobbing mess calling for his mama.

So just imagine the reaction from a repairman who received a coffee machine that housed not one cockroach, but a whole army of them.

The fact that they were dead did not make this discovery less horrifying.

It turns out that roaches have a peculiar fondness for coffee that might make you reconsider your caffeine addiction.

Cockroaches packed like sardines in coffee machine

When the man behind the Facebook page Koff Street received a coffee machine for repairs, no one could predict the sight that was about to greet him.

After languishing in storage for years, the coffee machine was brought in for repairs.

The client had informed the repairman that none of the buttons on the machine were responsive.

Upon opening up the machine, the repairman quickly discovered the reason behind the malfunction.

Inside the machine lay a grim and gross scene — a cluster of dead cockroaches packed tightly together like sardines.

coffee machine cockroaches

Source: Postjung

If the pictures weren’t shocking enough, the repairman told Khaosod that there were even more roaches than depicted in the photo.

Fortunately, he also said that this is a rare case — coffee machines used regularly are unlikely to become infested to this extent.

This particular machine was only infested to this degree because it was left in storage for a long time.

Therefore, those who love coffee and hate cockroaches can breathe a sigh of relief. Right?

Do roaches have a thing for coffee?

Cockroaches and coffee seem to share a complex relationship.

coffee-machine-repairs-cockroaches-2-102

Source: Erik Karits on Unsplash

A 2019 study suggests that certain coffee aromas are irresistible to cockroaches, while other research indicates that the taste of coffee can actually act as a deterrent for these pests.

One thing we know for sure is this: according to Snopes, the story of cockroaches infiltrating coffee originated from a 2009 anecdote.

A caffeine-addicted college advisor would allegedly spend 45 minutes travelling just to buy freshly ground coffee.

This was because he had developed a severe allergy to cockroaches and was getting reactions from drinking pre-ground coffee.

As it turns out, according to Dr Karan Raj from the United Kingdom (UK), pre-ground coffee often contains traces of cockroach matter.

So if you get the squick from knowing that, you might want to consider grinding your own coffee beans from now on.

• Sad 1
  • wtf 5

it's in the coffee powder.

No wonder once on a SQ flight, had to reject the coffee after a sip.

• Wahaha 2

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, coffeenut said:

LOL yeah, and a few other pourover drippers. All just wash clean, dry and put in cabinet :(

Me only got French press

And thinking robot machine

Edited by The_King

3 hours ago, The_King said:

Me only got French press

And thinking robot machine

Just get AP la .. much easier to clean and store. Though at one time, you won't be able to get more than a 220g cup of coffee. There is a larger Aeropress XL, but advise against it. 

Robot machine is what - the Cafelat espresso maker? Buy liao, you need to buy a decent grinder for espresso. Heng I forced out of espresso hellhole by wifu :(

6 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Just get AP la .. much easier to clean and store. Though at one time, you won't be able to get more than a 220g cup of coffee. There is a larger Aeropress XL, but advise against it. 

Robot machine is what - the Cafelat espresso maker? Buy liao, you need to buy a decent grinder for espresso. Heng I forced out of espresso hellhole by wifu :(

ya Cafelat . i got a decent grinder using compak k3 grinder head

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_King said:

ya Cafelat . i got a decent grinder using compak k3 grinder head

Nice that grinder should be fine But long time since I saw a Compak K3 - last time saw one with a timer grind function from before COVID :(

Espresso hole jin deep le .. need to get a lot of accessories :s Tamper, mat, leveler, distribution tool, a nice cup :(  Then cleanup and storage for all this :(

But really should get rid of your FP la .. that and moka pot reminds me of my parent's era :(

1 minute ago, coffeenut said:

Nice that grinder should be fine But long time since I saw a Compak K3 - last time saw one with a timer grind function from before COVID :(

Espresso hole jin deep le .. need to get a lot of accessories :s Tamper, mat, leveler, distribution tool, a nice cup :(  Then cleanup and storage for all this :(

But really should get rid of your FP la .. that and moka pot reminds me of my parent's era :(

mine is version 1

3413_pharos_1.jpg

now version 2 liao but using the same 68mm Italian made conical commercial steel grinding burr set

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY4Tn-2sUnC-h6EohwHn2

this kopi not confirm la, since i got good grinder. and get a robot and i can make my own kopi liao

1 minute ago, The_King said:

mine is version 1

3413_pharos_1.jpg

now version 2 liao but using the same 68mm Italian made conical commercial steel grinding burr set

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY4Tn-2sUnC-h6EohwHn2

this kopi not confirm la, since i got good grinder. and get a robot and i can make my own kopi liao

WTF  .. 

Knn not this grinder la, I thought you meant this Compak K3

You set your grinder to espresso grind setting and try to grind 18g of coffee - then see how long and how much effort it takes you. Manual grinding no joke for espresso :( Confirm take you 5x time to grind than for French press coarse setting :(

You buy a brewer like AP or a standard pourover dripper + paper filters and use the rest of the $$ to buy coffee can liao. 1 cup manual brew got more caffine than espresso via Cafelat Robot. Plus, finding a tiny jewelers scale that works with the Robot is a headache :(

• Like 1

Just now, coffeenut said:

WTF  .. 

Knn not this grinder la, I thought you meant this Compak K3

You set your grinder to espresso grind setting and try to grind 18g of coffee - then see how long and how much effort it takes you. Manual grinding no joke for espresso :( Confirm take you 5x time to grind than for French press coarse setting :(

i mod it to use power tools liao. muhahhaha

Doug was smart, remove the heart of the compak k3 and created a manual grinder for only $150 8 yr ago. this is fine enough to make Turkish kopi powder

4 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

You buy a brewer like AP or a standard pourover dripper + paper filters and use the rest of the $$ to buy coffee can liao. 1 cup manual brew got more caffine than espresso via Cafelat Robot. Plus, finding a tiny jewelers scale that works with the Robot is a headache :(

i was thinking if nv get robo, i stick with FP and also use FP as cold brew

• Sad 1

i mod it to use power tools liao. muhahhaha

Doug was smart, remove the heart of the compak k3 and created a manual grinder for only $150 8 yr ago. this is fine enough to make Turkish kopi powder

Yeah, if got use power tools can liao. Also should have easy to adjust settings in super fine increments. Same burr set doesn't matter as long as doesn't have fine adjustment. 

Never saw this grinder before liao - only the electric Compak k3 variants in shops. 

i was thinking if nv get robo, i stick with FP and also use FP as cold brew

TBH, caffeine extraction in French Press, AP and Pourover is higher than espresso with same coffee dose. 

French Press I tend to not like - cos a hassle to clean, wipe dry, and store. Plus the coffee not as clean cos never pass through paper filter like in AP or pourover :( Espresso can be nice, but only if it is done well. Easier to make a great cup of coffee with AP. Except for the plastic/tritan material which some might not like - it wins out in taste, ease and post-brew cleaning :(

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Yeah, if got use power tools can liao. Also should have easy to adjust settings in super fine increments. Same burr set doesn't matter as long as doesn't have fine adjustment. 

Never saw this grinder before liao - only the electric Compak k3 variants in shops. 

i go amdk forum mah, those kopi connoisseur. keep recommending this as the best manual kopi grinder and  and able beat many low and mid teir grinder

many post picture of the grind quality, how many it can go, shot after shot, and  doug (doug is the founder, it say 68mm but the founder say it was compak k3 gind head buy from the same factory in itay that compak k3 use)  that how i knew i have to get this,  68mm compak k3 gind head for only USD 150 or $240. it was worth it

i also add this, but i printed in paper given by doug. the plastic thing with a pointer

13074_pharos_str8_mod.jpg

Edited by The_King

3 minutes ago, The_King said:

i go amdk forum mah, those kopi connoisseur. keep recommending this as the best manual kopi grinder and  and able beat many low and mid teir grinder

many post picture of the grind quality, how many it can go, shot after shot, and  doug (doug is the founder, it say 68mm but the founder say it was compak k3 gind head buy from the same factory in itay that compak k3 use)  that how i knew i have to get this,  68mm compak k3 gind head for only USD 150 or $240. it was worth it

i also add this, but i printed in paper given by doug. the plastic thing with a pointer

13074_pharos_str8_mod.jpg

Which kopi forum - home-barrista? Burrs only a few companies make - but the grinder housing, assembly, adjustment mechanism is usually made by the grinder manufacturers who just borrow the most cost effective burr set. 

Okay leh, got grind setting indicator via that printed thing looks good. But the crank for manual grinding looks damn iffy and hard to operate cos looks like table-top grinder :( You use the power tool attachment on top then should be fine. 

2 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Which kopi forum - home-barrista? Burrs only a few companies make - but the grinder housing, assembly, adjustment mechanism is usually made by the grinder manufacturers who just borrow the most cost effective burr set. 

Okay leh, got grind setting indicator via that printed thing looks good. But the crank for manual grinding looks damn iffy and hard to operate cos looks like table-top grinder :( You use the power tool attachment on top then should be fine. 

king is cheapskate. if this is good, use hand also nvm

kopi forums is home-barrista, Coffee and Espresso Machines, r/espresso, but mainly stay in HB cause doug is there to answer question

king is cheapskate. if this is good, use hand also nvm

kopi forums is home-barrista, Coffee and Espresso Machines, r/espresso, but mainly stay in HB cause doug is there to answer question

WTF is Doug liao? I only know the Doug from Orphan Espresso - the old guy with. along white beard lol 

Dunno when last time I login to Home Barista also :(  Nong nong time ago, there got announce AP release - then I go buy that. Use a few times till realise it leech plastic to coffee :) Then buy new version with food grade plastic that's still in use now :s 

11 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

WTF is Doug liao? I only know the Doug from Orphan Espresso - the old guy with. along white beard lol 

Dunno when last time I login to Home Barista also :(  Nong nong time ago, there got announce AP release - then I go buy that. Use a few times till realise it leech plastic to coffee :) Then buy new version with food grade plastic that's still in use now :s 

ya Doug from Orphan Espresso. the old guy.

i forgotten my HB account liao

me thinking exculding robot, it either aero or moccamaster

Just now, The_King said:

ya Doug from Orphan Espresso. the old guy.

i forgotten my HB account liao

me thinking exculding robot, it either aero or moccamaster

cb .. I didnt know he made this grinder. Only remember the Lido grinder he made earlier. Am subscribed to his YT, but don't remember anything recently :( 

No wonder you want Cafelat Robot cos I remember he was doing something with it too. 

Moccamaster too much for you la .. single guy at home. AP is easy for single cup brews if you are only going to do it for oyurself. Robot/ etc too much effort for 1 cup of coffee, especially in hot Sinkieland. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

cb .. I didnt know he made this grinder. Only remember the Lido grinder he made earlier. Am subscribed to his YT, but don't remember anything recently :( 

No wonder you want Cafelat Robot cos I remember he was doing something with it too. 

Moccamaster too much for you la .. single guy at home. AP is easy for single cup brews if you are only going to do it for oyurself. Robot/ etc too much effort for 1 cup of coffee, especially in hot Sinkieland. 

robot can last a long time mag. when i buy, i was one of the first batch

maybe aero press but nothing is confirm yet

for aeropress, you buy lot of filter paper?

Edited by The_King