7-Eleven Opens 1st Fully Unmanned Self-Checkout Store In S’pore At Esplanade MRT Station

The_King

Hot on the heels of the first 7-Eleven vending machines in Singapore, the convenience store chain has launched another new concept — a self-checkout store.

The unmanned store will make use of artificial intelligence (AI) technology to record purchases by customers.

7-eleven.jpg

Source: SMRT on Facebook

7-Eleven self-checkout is one of 10 stores at Esplanade MRT hub

The opening of 7-Eleven’s self-checkout store was announced on Facebook by SMRT on Monday (22 Jan).

The first in Singapore, 7-Eleven Shop & Go is one of 10 retail experiences at a retail innovation hub in Esplanade Xchange — i.e. the air-conditioned underground mall inside Esplanade MRT station.

hive.jpg

Source: SMRT on Facebook

Named Hive 2.0, the hub was launched on Monday and allows retailers to test innovative retail concepts in a relatively low-risk environment, according to 8world News.

7-Eleven self-checkout store will be unmanned

The 7-Eleven self-checkout store will be completely unmanned, The Edge reported.

To enter, shoppers will need to tap a credit card on the barrier gantry. The gantry charges a small fee that will be offset on shoppers’ purchases or refunded if no purchase is made.

After picking up their items, customers can simply exit the store and the cost will be charged to their card automatically.

This is made possible thanks to AI technology, including smart cameras and sensors.

Store will be there for at least 6 months

However, the 7-Eleven self-checkout store may not be there permanently. The store may only be around for at least six months.

7-Eleven managing director Serene Seow was quoted as saying that the company will gather and review feedback during that period.

Although there’s a limit of five people in the store, this may be adjusted if necessary.

More payment options may also be accepted if the trial is scaled up.

Order items & get them delivered by robots

As a bonus, the store will offer more convenience to office workers at the South Beach Development above the station.

They will be able to order items from the 7-Eleven Shop & Go via the QuikBot app.

The purchases will then be delivered to their office by robots.

Cheers opened similar store in 2020

7-Eleven’s self-checkout store isn’t the first such concept in Singapore, though.

Cheers opened a similar unmanned convenience store in 2020 at Our Tampines Hub.

cheers.jpg

Source: Cheers on Facebook

It required patrons to first download the CheersSG app and add their Visa credit card. They could then use the facial recognition technology or scan a QR code to enter the store.

After grabbing the items they wanted, customers could walk out with their purchases and their cards would be charged.

no staff better, i go supermarket buy cup noodles, bread, chicken chai png or anything i want to warm up and when i at 7-11, i hold my food  high or in front before i reach 7-11 so the CCTV can see is not from their store then use their hotwater or microwae