Indomie-flavored ice cream, topped with fried shallots, puzzles and revolts upon launch

The_King

Indomie-flavored-ice-cream-960x540.jpg

While nothing has quite replaced the OG Indomie mie goreng (fried noodles) in our noodle-loving hearts, we here at Coconuts appreciate unique takes on the beloved instant noodle brand. But is this where we, as a collective of civilized human beings, should have drawn the line?

You might have noticed our mie goreng obsession from our coverage of a slew of Indomie innovations over the years, including tasting the limited edition Chitato-flavored mie goreng, Indomie donuts, Indomie cake, the abomination that is soupy noodles sandwich, mi goreng fried chicken burger, mi goreng-scented candles in Australia, and the Indomie burrito made by an Indonesian-born chef in LA.

However, nothing has ever come close in sheer shock value to the latest Indomie creation we found recently: Indomie goreng-flavored ice cream by West Jakarta-based creamery, Holi Ice Cream, who claims that this fusion is the first of its kind in Indonesia.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDs5TGfhZzY/

And yes, this Indomie goreng ice cream is topped with fried shallot, just like the instant noodle meal.

After a screenshot of the post was shared by a food-themed community account on Twitter, netizens quickly expressed their disbelief upon this formerly-unthinkable creation, with many calling it an “abomination” against the much beloved-instant noodle. Despite that, many people said they were curious to taste it.

“Ice cream with fried shallot, have people become too creative since PSBB (Large-Scale Social Restrictions protocol) was imposed.”

Holi Ice Cream’s owner Stephen told Coconuts today that the flavor was inspired by his love of Indomie and his habit of eating his own ice cream for dessert.

“There was one time after having Indomie goreng when I thought that it would be pretty cool to have Indomie goreng-flavored ice cream for dessert,” Stephen said.

That led to him experimenting and creating the sweet-and-savory dessert for his own consumption, which he ended up liking.

“After that, I tried giving [the ice cream to other people] without telling them that it was Indomie-flavored. They said it was really good, and they were surprised when I told them that it was Indomie-based,” he said.

“It got me thinking that rather than keeping the good taste of my own Indomie-flavored ice cream for myself, I should share it with other people too, especially since Indomie goreng is everyone’s favorite food.”

The flavor was launched yesterday, with the first batch of the product being shipped today. As such, there are not many reviews of Indomie ice cream yet, but be sure to watch this space as we’ll be sure to get our hands on a cup soon.

“Someone said that it was tasty, unique, and beyond their expectation. Salty, sweet, savory, and addicting,” Stephen said.

The Indomie goreng ice cream is part of Holi Ice Cream’s newest dessert lineup, which consist of more conventional-sounding ice cream flavors such as Indomilk banana milk with Choki-Choki chocolate paste, Energen vanilla cereal drink with cornflakes, red wine, and cheese tea with brûlée (hardened caramelized sugar) topping.

If you’re up for the challenge, you can pre-order Indomie goreng ice cream (or other flavors you prefer, such as sarsaparilla flavor Soda Badak or Guinness with chocolate) through Holi Ice Cream’s Tokopedia, Shopee, or WhatsApp.

• wtf 1