Show your plants some love by watering them with rainwater

The_King

Watering your plants with collected rainwater from the last downpour instead of using tap water on hot days is environmentally conscious. And the plants will also love you for it.

Rainwater is soft, which means it is basically distilled water and contains no calcium. Many plants tolerate this kind of water better than the hard drinking water from your tap, according to the German Federal Environment Agency.

Rhododendron and geranium are among the plants that will enjoy a break from hard water, if that’s what's coming from the taps in your area.

Many other plants feel the same way – or, to put it differently: what kind of plant would be harmed by rain? That’s why you might try leaving out a bucket to fill up when the next shower is forecast.

However, water that has run over roof surfaces made of materials like copper, zinc and bitumen should not be collected and used for watering plants.

It may have absorbed problematic components that are harmful to the environment and can be released from such materials. – dpa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_King said:

Will distilled water be the same as rain water

Not really the same if you consider the air has pollutants whereby distilled water will not contain such stuff.

I only know for keeping fishes that hardness level plays an important part. Thus i keep a pH test kit around for my fishkeeping last time

• Like 1