"Even when I go down to buy food, people also recognise me”: Car workshop employee who posted dashcam footage

The_King

SINGAPORE — A car workshop employee has filed a police report after he got death threats against him and his family for posting dashboard camera footage of the lead-up to a Tampines road accident that killed two people on Monday (April 22).

Mr Anthony Soon, a senior adviser at car repair and maintenance firm Success United, said that online users had mistaken him for the driver of a white Mercedes-Benz, which appears to have been sideswiped by a black Saab.

Speaking to TODAY on Wednesday, Mr Soon clarified that he was not the driver of the Mercedes-Benz and had posted the footage on the SG Road Vigilante Facebook page on behalf of the driver who did not have a social media account.

In an update on Wednesday, the police confirmed that a 42-year-old male car driver who was assisting with investigations has been discharged from the hospital and was then “placed under arrest for dangerous driving causing death”.

“His driving licence has also been suspended with immediate effect," the police added.

TODAY understands that the arrested man was the driver of the black Saab.

The accident at the junction of Tampines Avenue 1 and Tampines Avenue 4 resulted in eight people being taken to the hospital.

Two of them, 17-year-old Temasek Junior College student Afifah Munirah and 57-year-old pest control company employee Norzihan Juwahib, died from their injuries.

Mr Soon said that he posted the footage “not because of insurance reporting (purposes)” but because he wanted the public to know that the white car was not in the wrong.

He did not think there was anything wrong with helping to share the footage on social media.

“Because of this, people have threatened to rape my daughter, photos of me and my family have been posted online and people have called me and (given) me death threats because I posted that video on Facebook. Even when I go down to buy food, people also recognise me,” he added.

In response to TODAY’s queries on Mr Soon, the police confirmed that a report had been made.

A social media post allegedly written by the actual driver of the white Mercedes Benz trying to “rationalise and clear up obvious misconceptions” also fanned the flames and worsened the situation for Mr Soon.

On this, Mr Soon said that the post could not have been written by the driver of the white Mercedes-Benz, describing the driver as a man in his 50s who spoke in Mandarin and understood little English. Mr Soon added that the driver had engaged the services of his firm four times before this incident.

Police investigations are ongoing.

tampines2.jpg?itok=nqKxsoWN

A still photograph taken from in-vehicle footage that was posted on social media. It was said to be taken from a white Mercedes-Benz and showed the scene of a fatal accident in Tampines that happened on April 22, 2024.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pigpigoink said:

moi no catch whole story, even after reading doesnt understand.

y the hate to him? what's the thing with the hate for white merz driver?

Some dumb fucks online think that the merz was wrong to chase the saab after he was sideswiped, don't seem to know that after an accident you have to exchange contact info to claim insurances. The Merz wasn't going that fast anyway, he stopped normally when he reached the junction, if not the accident would have been worse.

• Like 1

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

1 hour ago, Huat Zai said:

Some dumb fucks online think that the merz was wrong to chase the saab after he was sideswiped, don't seem to know that after an accident you have to exchange contact info to claim insurances. The Merz wasn't going that fast anyway, he stopped normally when he reached the junction, if not the accident would have been worse.

no, the mercs saw saab coming in fast with obvious intention to overtake him, and SPED UP within his lane with a bike to his right.

the Saab for whatever reason either too fast cant stop in time or just crazy, avoided the bike by swerving left and side swiped the mercs.

the mercs try to act innocent by posting his cam video showing his innocent, but another car cam video showed he speed up.

and its not his first time driving so laolan. got a few others came up to say he driving also CB.

so while he did not cause the accident specifically, he may have triggered the saab adrenaline rush and lose control of his car.

by right i feel speed up within lane dont let ppl overtake is normal sinkie chao kuan behavior. but this merc driver is cibai laolan on the road, and got ppl suspect they got prior altercation before this, so let the truth come out

• Like 1
  • wtf 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

5 hours ago, pigpigoink said:

moi no catch whole story, even after reading doesnt understand.

y the hate to him? what's the thing with the hate for white merz driver?

Some bunch of ppl wif warped mind(or maybe private ib) wanna reduce saab's fault and put blame on mercz... The workshop driver needa sue those ppl,.

Edited by XianGe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Huat Zai said:

Didn't see any chase cos right after the sideswipe, the saab turbo or whatever kicked in so zoom super fast... There wasn't any chase... Basically glc eat dust nia

Edited by XianGe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aaur4man said:

no, the mercs saw saab coming in fast with obvious intention to overtake him, and SPED UP within his lane with a bike to his right.

the Saab for whatever reason either too fast cant stop in time or just crazy, avoided the bike by swerving left and side swiped the mercs.

the mercs try to act innocent by posting his cam video showing his innocent, but another car cam video showed he speed up.

and its not his first time driving so laolan. got a few others came up to say he driving also CB.

so while he did not cause the accident specifically, he may have triggered the saab adrenaline rush and lose control of his car.

by right i feel speed up within lane dont let ppl overtake is normal sinkie chao kuan behavior. but this merc driver is cibai laolan on the road, and got ppl suspect they got prior altercation before this, so let the truth come out

Yes mercz is just a daily cb lang who dun let ppl in... But saab ownself wanna force a takeover n caused the accident... Tis is no excuse for the further accident he caused..