A 29-year-old local woman with terminal cancer held a living funeral for herself before she died,

The_King

428603348_782353357260045_45766111009338428607356_782353317260049_77186727405461428353303_782353327260048_81800746546207

A 29-year-old local woman with terminal cancer organized a "funeral" for herself before her death, and invited more than 30 friends to gather together so that she could say goodbye to everyone properly.

HCA Hospice shared the story of its patient Michelle Ng on Facebook and its official website on Wednesday (14th).

Michelle was diagnosed with a rare form of ovarian cancer in 2021; as her condition worsened in late 2022, she decided to recuperate at home with the support of HCA Hospice Care and spend her remaining time with family and friends.

Opening a branch for business while suffering from cancer

Before getting cancer, Michelle loved cycling and running, and also founded her own wearable device company. Despite being ill, Michelle still actively pursued her passion and opened a second store while suffering from cancer.

It was this power that made Michelle decide to organize a funeral for herself while she was still alive.

"My self-knowledge as a mortal inspired me, and I wanted to call this event a "living funeral" because I think death is something very close to us, not something to be feared."

download.jpg?itok=4OsWdXvT

Michelle prepares food for relatives and friends at a "funeral". (Picture: HCA Hospice Care)

download_1.jpg?itok=yOa75C_B

Michelle invited her favorite band Jack & Rai to perform (Photo: HCA Hospice Care)

Passed away peacefully ten days after the "funeral"

Michelle and the HCA team spent weeks planning the funeral, including preparing food and drinks, inviting her favorite band to perform, and sharing her favorite books with friends. The "funeral" was held on December 23 last year, and the whole scene was like a birthday party.

When Michelle sends invitations to her friends, she encourages them to write her a final farewell letter, bring a book, and exchange books with others present.

Michelle thanked her friends who attended the funeral and said, "Thank you for making me so happy. I am so grateful to hear every laugh and smile."

Michelle passed away peacefully on January 2 this year, ten days after the "funeral" was held.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Satki said:

looks awkward as hell.

don't think it is easy for people to attend.

I for one would not attend.

Agree it will be awkward. If I was younger, really won't dare go for fear of acting out of line. 

Now I'm more mature and I would force myself to go, same way I always make myself pay attention to news about disabled people, poverty etc. I don't remind myself about true suffering enough. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Satki said:

looks awkward as hell.

don't think it is easy for people to attend.

I for one would not attend.

23 hours ago, zendude said:

Agree it will be awkward. If I was younger, really won't dare go for fear of acting out of line. 

Now I'm more mature and I would force myself to go, same way I always make myself pay attention to news about disabled people, poverty etc. I don't remind myself about true suffering enough. 

Dunno huai called funeral, jus call it a gathering canotch huan meh?

giphy.gifTVB for life...

13 minutes ago, ODACHEK said:

Dunno huai called funeral, jus call it a gathering canotch huan meh?

I wonder how they said their goodbyes knowing it's almost certainly the last time they see each other

1 minute ago, zendude said:

I wonder how they said their goodbyes knowing it's almost certainly the last time they see each other

Notch rast time see, see body lying insai coffin oso see right?

giphy.gifTVB for life...