why so many say need to upgrade to simplygo?

The_King

Transition to SimplyGo: Commuters can't use EZ-Link adult or NETS FlashPay cards for fare payment from 1 June

SINGAPORE — NETS FlashPay cards, as well as EZ-Link adult cards not yet upgraded to SimplyGo EZ-Link, will no longer be accepted as public transport fare payment from 1 June.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said in a media release on Tuesday (9 January) that these two legacy stored-value cards can still be used for other motoring-related payments such as Electronic Road Pricing and parking charges.

LTA said this change is part of the transition towards the SimplyGo system first introduced in 2019, which allows users to view their fare history, top up with mobile phones and block lost cards remotely. The platform also enables commuters to use contactless bank cards for public transport.

Currently, about two in three adult fare transactions on public transport are made using either SimplyGo EZ-Link or bank cards.

Most adult commuters will not be affected by this transition, as they are already using SimplyGo EZ-Link or contactless bank cards. Commuters using concession cards will not be affected.

How to prepare for transition to SimplyGo

For those commuters using the two legacy stored-valued cards, they should prepare for the transition as follows:

• EZ-Link adult card: Upgrade existing cards to the SimplyGo system at any ticketing machine, SimplyGo ticket office or ticketing service centre. Commuters can retain their current cards. As a reminder, these cardholders will receive prompts to upgrade when topping up their cards at ticketing machines from end-March.

• NETS FlashPay Card: Exchange their NETS FlashPay card for a free NETS prepaid card at SimplyGo ticket offices or ticketing service centres.

Alternatively, adult commuters using these cards can opt for other SimplyGo payment options, including contactless bank cards. Their legacy stored-value cards can be used for other non-transit payments, or be refunded.

EZ-Link adult cardholders who wish to continue using the cards for motoring-related payments should not upgrade their cards to the SimplyGo system. On the other hand, NETS FlashPay Cards will continue to be accepted for motoring-related payments and retail purchases at NETS acceptance points.

Commuters who would like to check if their EZ-Link card requires upgrading to SimplyGo EZ-Link can do so on EZ-Link's dedicated interactive guide. They can also do so by checking if their card has the SimplyGo logo via the SimplyGo app, EZ-Link app or at any ticketing machine.

ILLUSTRATION: EZ-Link

ILLUSTRATION: EZ-Link

After 1 June, EZ-Link adult and NETS FlashPay cardholders can continue to obtain refunds for their cards’ remaining value at SimplyGo ticket offices or ticketing service centres.

From 19 January to 18 July, NETS FlashPay cardholders can visit any of the 44 SimplyGo ticket offices to exchange for a NETS prepaid card. The remaining value in the FlashPay card will be refunded.

To encourage commuters to take action, EZ-Link is running a lucky draw until 31 May, where 1,000 eligible participants stand to win up to six months of free public transport travel.

Download SimplyGo app to enjoy full benefits

Commuters are encouraged to download the SimplyGo mobile app to enjoy the full benefits of the platform, such as fare transactions viewing and remote card balance top-ups. For those without the app, they can view their travel transactions and card balance at ticketing machines.

Service ambassadors will be deployed at MRT, LRT stations and bus interchanges with ticketing machines to assist commuters to upgrade their cards as well as to assist them to download and use the SimplyGo app.

• Like 2

from what i read is It say your ezlink need to be upgraded to simplygo that all

Currently there 2 ezink card
The old ezlink card and the new ezlink card called simplygo ezlink card

simplygo ezlink card can use as it is mean it will display fare unless you change to simplygo function (the one with app etc...)

It mean change your old ezlink card to the new simplygo ezlink card is all that is needed no need to upgrade until you see simplygo when you pay the fare

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_King said:

from what i read is It say your ezlink need to be upgraded to simplygo that all

Currently there 2 ezink card
The old ezlink card and the new ezlink card called simplygo ezlink card

simplygo ezlink card can use as it is mean it will display fare unless you change to simplygo function (the one with app etc...)

It mean change your old ezlink card to the new simplygo ezlink card is all that is needed no need to upgrade until you see simplygo when you pay the fare

Yeah, but tiagong change/upgrade to account based Simplygo - EZLink card - when you tap with it, you won't see the fare/balance when you tap out after a trip on the scan terminal at MRT or bus.

7 hours ago, coffeenut said:

Yeah, but tiagong change/upgrade to account based Simplygo - EZLink card - when you tap with it, you won't see the fare/balance when you tap out after a trip on the scan terminal at MRT or bus.

those noob at nk, dont know who spread fake news say need to upgrade your  Simplygo - EZLink card to the  account based

2 hours ago, The_King said:

those noob at nk, dont know who spread fake news say need to upgrade your  Simplygo - EZLink card to the  account based

For public transport, it will get converted to account based Simplygo mah .. that's what. If use phone, can see things like fare, balance and trip history (after a delay). Payment topup is also slightly delayed. If don't want to use phone, then can use the ticketing machines at station - they will show balance and history (again, after a slight delay) - same case with payment topup at ticketing machines (delay). 

People want the convenience of seeing the trip history and stuff, but if they can fix the batch based processing which causes the delay, then it will be fine - cos then can show the fare and account balance after each trip. They not concentrating on this issue - hence a bit of pushback. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

For public transport, it will get converted to account based Simplygo mah .. that's what. If use phone, can see things like fare, balance and trip history (after a delay). Payment topup is also slightly delayed. If don't want to use phone, then can use the ticketing machines at station - they will show balance and history (again, after a slight delay) - same case with payment topup at ticketing machines (delay). 

People want the convenience of seeing the trip history and stuff, but if they can fix the batch based processing which causes the delay, then it will be fine - cos then can show the fare and account balance after each trip. They not concentrating on this issue - hence a bit of pushback. 

mean i need to make it habit to check my fare at kiosk when i can since i got no plan to link to my HP. or no choice but to get a burner phone. where all the stupid data, privacy tracking, data collecting app is

Edited by The_King
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The_King said:

mean i need to make it habit to check my fare at kiosk when i can since i got no plan to link to my HP. or no choice but to get a burner phone. where all the stupid data, privacy tracking, data collecting app is

Yeah. Set up a weekly or fortnightly reminder to check card at kiosk. Topup amount == safety balance $10 + your fortnightly average travel amount. Just make sure the card balance doesn't get below $3 or the account goes into frozen state and you can't immediately unlock/make trips. Cos even after you pay at kiosk, it will take a few minutes for your account to get unfrozen and start trip :haha:

Yeah, get a spare phone can liao - use the app. Or use a contactless CC to pay. 

• Like 1

update 2: in short
There are three cards

Simplygo cards - they have the simplygo logo and are simplygo enabled

EZ-Link cards (1) - they are EZ-Link cards that are simplygo capable but are not simplygo enabled so they need to be upgraded

Ez-link cards (2) - all other EZ-Link cards

my card is the middle one aka EZ-Link cards (1) which explain why mine is SG card but not SG enable and so it is just a normal ezlink card until upgrade

• Like 1
  • wtf 1

59 minutes ago, noobmaster said:

What stupid logic is this

The logic is fine, but the wording is misleading hehe

What they are saying is .. check your card via EZ Link app or on the ticketing machine. If you see "Simplygo" there - then it is Simplygo enabled.

The easier way is if you travelling and scan the card, it should show Simplygo on screen - not fare or balance. If fare/balance shown means need upgrade :( Confirmation is via taking away of feature :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, classyNfabulous said:

1 lan jiao card jus for daily transport - so much to implement etc

dun show card balance when u tap

convert for the worse

Use phone lor. 
also if you tap simplygo card, the fee & balance appears in your app. 
I never understood why ppl wanna see balance when tap, kaypoh will see how much money you have 😂

IMG-7224.jpg

2 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

What they are saying is .. check your card via EZ Link app or on the ticketing machine. If you see "Simplygo" there - then it is Simplygo enabled.

The easier way is if you travelling and scan the card, it should show Simplygo on screen - not fare or balance. If fare/balance shown means need upgrade :( Confirmation is via taking away of feature :(

I have a few spare cards at home i lend to family when they visit SG. 
All cards have no SimplyGo logo but on app says they are SimplyGo cards.

When i scan at card reader, also says SimplyGo

Only my child’s concession card has sticker saying it is SimplyGo

• Like 1

IMG-7224.jpg

5 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

3 minutes ago, ManOfTheHour said:

Use phone lor. 
I never understood why ppl wanna see balance when tap, kaypoh will see how much money you have 😂

Should get HYY to do another simply go ad. Take up rates sure shoot up the roof 

• Wahaha 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, The_King said:

update 2: in short
There are three cards

Simplygo cards - they have the simplygo logo and are simplygo enabled

EZ-Link cards (1) - they are EZ-Link cards that are simplygo capable but are not simplygo enabled so they need to be upgraded

Ez-link cards (2) - all other EZ-Link cards

my card is the middle one aka EZ-Link cards (1) which explain why mine is SG card but not SG enable and so it is just a normal ezlink card until upgrade

My cards look like this on app, means SimplyGo enabled or just capable?

when i scan at reader, it does not prompt me to upgrade

IMG-3188.jpg

IMG-3189.jpg

IMG-7224.jpg

19 minutes ago, ManOfTheHour said:

Use phone lor. 

Think most need a reminder for the balance so they can topup at kiosk or via app. 

Old folks if see hit $2, will go topup. Xdd xmm see hit $10 will ask parents topup until $100 :haha:

16 minutes ago, ManOfTheHour said:

I have a few spare cards at home i lend to family when they visit SG. 
All cards have no SimplyGo logo but on app says they are SimplyGo cards.

When i scan at card reader, also says SimplyGo

Only my child’s concession card has sticker saying it is SimplyGo

Means all no need upgrade liao.

But in the app, can you add all the cards and see all the different cards as different accounts? And then have all the different cards link to 1 CC for payment?

I only have one so dunno