Shoppers still using plastic bags on day 1 of mandatory disposable bag charge cite convenience, habit

The_King

SINGAPORE: Shoppers seen still using plastic bags on the first day of the mandatory disposable carrier bag charge at large supermarkets on Monday (Jul 3) said they still did so out of convenience or habit. 

From Monday, supermarket operators with an annual turnover of more than S$100 million (US$73.9 million) began charging at least 5 cents per disposable carrier bag.

Under the requirement, these operators - which account for about two-thirds of supermarket outlets in Singapore - are required to charge a minimum of 5 cents for each bag. Those that CNA spoke to said they would not charge above 5 cents a bag.  

On the first day of implementation, early morning shoppers at Giant, Sheng Siong and NTUC FairPrice supermarkets were seen toting reusable bags and dragging metal trolleys to contain their purchases.

Some were seen forgoing disposable carrier bags, opting to carry fresh produce, such as fruits and seafood, out of the supermarket in transparent flat top bags without handles. Flat top plastic bags provided by the supermarkets are not subject to the mandatory charge.

ntucplasticbag5cent-06.jpg?itok=mU_G8KqD Flat top plastic bags for fresh produce at Northpoint City's NTUC Fairprice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim)

All major supermarkets have begun making shoppers pay for plastic bags as part of a nationwide movement. Chloe Choo with more.

At a Giant supermarket located at Khatib MRT Station, self-checkout kiosks had barcodes for plastic bags dangling from rubber bands attached to each machine. 

Plastic bags were placed to the side of the machines for customers to help themselves. 

DFI Retail Group, which operates Giant and Cold Storage supermarkets, previously told CNA that it would rely on an honour system - meaning that it would trust customers to scan the barcode to pay for each bag that they take. 

To avoid paying for plastic bags, one shopper, Mr Andrew Ang, came well prepared with a large recycling bag and a trolley containing multiple transparent flat top bags for his fresh produce. 

The 57-year-old said that it was his first time not using plastic bags. Whether he continues using reusable bags depends on whether he sets out of the house with grocery shopping in mind, the man said in Mandarin.

self%20checkout%20Giant%20Khatib.jpg?ito A barcode for plastic bags attached to a self checkout machine in Giant supermarket in Khatib. (Photo: CNA)

"It is inconvenient to have to bring a lot of bags. If you don't have enough bags, then you cannot buy as many things or else you will have to pay for plastic bags," Mr Ang said. 

At Sheng Siong supermarket in Khatib, staff were heard informing customers about the plastic bag charge at checkout counters. 

One customer who decided to pay and said he will continue to pay for plastic bags is Mr John Sin, a retiree who uses a personal mobility device to get around. 

"To me, plastic bags are a must. For a person like me, without plastic bags, how would I hold my things? It's not possible," he told CNA in Mandarin. 

Mr Sin, 70, was seen placing two plastic bags into the rear basket of his device. Asked why he did not bring a reusable bag, Mr Sin gestured at his walking cane. 

"You need to bring it out and back. Now when I walk I have to use my cane, it's not convenient. I have no choice but to spend 10 cents or 20 cents now," he added. 

He thinks the charge is still an affordable expense. "Now things are expensive anyway, that 10 cents or 20 cents more, so what? When you take away food it's 30 cents already anyway."

Another customer, who wanted to be known as Mr Augustine, carried a reusable bag on one arm and a plastic bag on another. The 67-year-old said he had not brought enough reusable bags and did not want to squeeze everything together for fear they became "congested". 

"I like to bring what I buy back home in good condition," he said. The retiree said he would reuse the plastic bag on his next grocery trip.

At the NTUC FairPrice outlet at Khatib, the sole employee managing a handful of self-checkout counters was observed holding onto plastic bags and only handing them out to those who asked for them. 

ntucplasticbag5cent-17.jpg?itok=OFr7NFZJ A barcode located on self-checkout machines at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice that customers should scan to pay for plastic bags. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim)
ntucplasticbag5cent-19.jpg?itok=yDpWcz22 Customers at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice scan a barcode located on self-checkout kiosks to pay for plastic bags. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim)

The staff member would help customers scan the barcode affixed on the corner of self-checkout screens for each plastic bag. 

One customer who had to pay for a plastic bag was Mr Yue, 69. 

"It's rather troublesome. But actually, I forgot to bring my carrier. We are so used to it. I put it outside my door, but when I came here I realised I don't have it," the retiree, who declined to give his full name, said. 

MEASURES TO INCULCATE HABIT OF USING REUSABLE BAGS

The disposable carrier bag charge was announced in March last year and aims to nudge customers towards the habit of bringing reusable bags where they can, reducing the need for disposables. 

Addressing the media on the first day of the mandatory charge, Senior Minister of State for Sustainability and the Environment Amy Khor reiterated this point. 

"This disposable carrier bag charge is an important step in our journey towards a greener Singapore and with climate action as well as environmental protection gaining pace, there is increasing concern about conservation of resources. And disposable bag charge is becoming commonplace. So we see disposable bag charge in many jurisdictions, like Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan," Dr Khor said on the sidelines of her visit to NTUC FairPrice supermarket in Northpoint City. 

"We hope that this initiative, which will encourage the public to consider the number of disposable carrier bags that they take as well as encourage them to bring their own reusable bags, will result in a reduction in the use of disposable carrier bags in the long run." 

The charge was implemented on a Monday to allow supermarkets and shoppers to "ease into the new practice", as Mondays were typically less crowded, Dr Khor added. 

In preparation for the charge, supermarkets have been placing posters to remind customers to bring their own bags. 

ntucplasticbag5cent-07.jpg?itok=HVCsqysZ

Reusable bags for sale located along cashiers and at self-checkout kiosks at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim) ntucplasticbag5cent-01.jpg?itok=9hHDJvYT Donated shopping bags that customers can take if they need at Northpoint City's NTUC Fairprice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim) ntucplasticbag5cent-07.jpg?itok=HVCsqysZ Reusable bags for sale located along cashiers and at self-checkout kiosks at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim) ntucplasticbag5cent-01.jpg?itok=9hHDJvYT Donated shopping bags that customers can take if they need at Northpoint City's NTUC Fairprice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim) ntucplasticbag5cent-07.jpg?itok=HVCsqysZ Reusable bags for sale located along cashiers and at self-checkout kiosks at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim)

At Northpoint City's FairPrice outlet, a stand with donated reusable bags was placed at the entrance for those who needed them. A shelf stocked with reusable bags retailing from S$1 to S$5.65 had been placed at the entrance of the self-checkout area. 

Dr Khor observed that many customers had brought their own bags on Monday morning. 

"Indeed the cashiers themselves have said that they see an increase in the number of customers who have brought their own reusable bags to bag their groceries," she added. 

At Sheng Siong supermarket in Khatib, a housewife carrying a reusable bag told CNA that she had been doing so since last year to be more environmentally friendly. 

"Last time when I used plastic bags, my child would tell me that since we have so many reusable bags at home, we should use them as a habit. My child said people overseas, such as those in Japan, bring their own bags," Madam Lim Gaik Ngoh said in Mandarin. 

While the 58-year-old brings two bags with her when grocery shopping, she makes it a habit to bring a reusable bag even for normal shopping. 

ntucplasticbag5cent-14.jpg?itok=Mt6ZzOj7 Bin liners for sale at Northpoint City's NTUC FairPrice. (Photo: CNA/Javier Lim)

PLASTIC BAGS STILL NEEDED TO BAG WET TRASH

All shoppers CNA spoke to said they would still bag their trash in plastic bags before discarding for hygiene purposes.

Mdm Lim said she used rolls of bin liners that her brother buys from Malaysia, while Mr Ang said he would reuse the transparent flat top plastic bags containing his fresh produce for his rubbish. 

"Like fish, meat and other wet things, I will throw them in plastic bags or else they will be dirty and have a lot of bacteria," he added. 

The supermarkets that CNA visited sold bin liners as alternatives to plastic bags for bagging trash. These varied in size and quantity, with some marketed as biodegradable.

At Sheng Siong and NTUC FairPrice outlets in Khatib, bin liners were placed on shelves near entrances and exits. 

These are options that customers like Mr Yue - who has been using plastic bags for trash - will now turn to for rubbish. 

Still, he hopes to form a habit of bringing his own reusable bags.

"Hopefully tomorrow I can remember (to bring the reusable bag)," he said. 

Source: CNA/wt(rj)
  • Like 1

Quote:

"Now things are expensive anyway, that 10 cents or 20 cents more, so what? When you take away food it's 30 cents already anyway."

carried a reusable bag on one arm and a plastic bag on another. The 67-year-old said he had not brought enough reusable bags and did not want to squeeze everything together for fear they became "congested". 

"I like to bring what I buy back home in good condition," he said. The retiree said he would reuse the plastic bag on his next grocery trip.

XFR7k01.pngZup6XM5.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4-pMFeP3utF6t5zkWvpHgiphy.gifbJyzRhY.pnggiphy.gifgiphy.gifCrEEVf6.pnggiphy.gifcZiSgk5.png

• Wahaha 3