New nutrition labelling scheme for sweet drinks to kick in end-2022: MOH

The_King

SINGAPORE - From Dec 30, 2022, consumers will be able to easily check the nutrition value of pre-packaged drinks and those sold from automatic beverage dispensers, as new labelling regulations aimed at reducing Singaporeans' sugar intake kick in.

Soft drinks, fruit juices and juice drinks, milk and yogurt drinks, and instant powdered beverages are among the products that will receive a "Nutri-Grade" rating, with grades ranging from A to D, with D being the unhealthiest, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Thursday (Dec 30).

The drinks will be required to carry a nutrition label specifying the energy value and amounts of protein, carbohydrate, fat, total sugar and saturated fat.

Retailers will also be largely banned from advertising D-grade drinks on all media platforms. These drinks can be advertised at points of sale, such as inside stores, but nowhere else.

Drinks graded C or D will also be required to carry the Nutri-Grade mark on the front of the packaging, or in a prominent manner if sold online, in a vending machine or from a dispenser.

MOH said the changes are intended to help consumers identify beverages that are higher in sugar and saturated fat, and make more informed, healthier choices; reduce the influence of advertising on consumer preferences; and spur industry reformulation.

The move to introduce the new requirements was first announced by the MOH in October 2019.

In making the decision, the ministry said it had considered feedback from the public, industry and expert stakeholders, and reviewed existing overseas and local evidence.

The MOH said high sugar intake is linked to increased risk of obesity and diabetes and there is no nutritional need for any sugar in a person's diet, according to the World Health Organisation.

The ministry also noted that Singaporeans consume on average 60g or 12 teaspoons of sugar a day. More than half of this sugar comes from beverages, of which 64 per cent are pre-packaged, it added.

The regulations were published in the Government Gazette on Thursday and will come into force 12 months later.

The MOH said this will give the drinks industry more time to comply with the requirements and reformulate their products to increase the range and variety of healthier choices for Singaporeans.

Non-compliance with the new provisions will constitute an offence punishable with a fine not exceeding $1,000, once they come into effect. In the case of a second or subsequent conviction, the fine may go up to $2,000.

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

1 hour ago, chamfer said:

I rather eat natural than artifical chemical.

Same but i suspect they will use use the cheaper fructose corn syrup and tried to mixes with aspartame to make it cheaper.

In less they have soda in 100% pure steiva. I sure drink

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

3 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

limpeh me actually support sugar tax but this sugar tax must be going only towards diabetes treatment and nothing else.

it shld not be used as a revenue raiser.

U no go into civil service or be a policy maker is a waste of talent. Too bad govt no take note of your talent.

• Wahaha 1

9 minutes ago, chamfer said:

U no go into civil service or be a policy maker is a waste of talent. Too bad govt no take note of your talent.

Towkay me monday-friday 8 am-6pm is here.

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

then monday-thurs 7pm-6am is here.

fri after 6pm to next mon 6am is here.

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

wahahahahahaha

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:26 AM, The_King said:

then human will eat more aspartame. 0 gram mean no tax

which is worst? aspartame or sugar = those that like soda GG

Just like tax fuel... Ppl go EV but no one tot of wat will happen to batteries

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, XianGe said:

Just like tax fuel... Ppl go EV but no one tot of wat will happen to batteries

even more kumgong is people dont even think of where the electricity is coming from or physical physics.

they think the batteries r like the energon cubes in transformers.

Soundwave Makes Energon Cubes GIF | Gfycat

• Wahaha 2

49 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

even more kumgong is people dont even think of where the electricity is coming from or physical physics.

Even energon cubes need get power

• Wahaha 2

1 hour ago, socrates469bc said:

there a kumgong  who tell me this. router even if nv use say to turn on 24/7 and do the math

20w x 24 hrs x 30 days x 27c per kWh = $3.88 per month.

knn what $3.88 per month, what 30days. i on 24/7 for 1 month? count 1 yr or 10yr la. talk talk, pay me money la

limpeh  give him my math. dont just talk and told me to  on 24/7, money who pay? i waiting for him to pay $611 for 10yr just to on 24/7.

ONTs and routers are meant to be turned on only when i need them

Say let: Now is for 20w for 24 hr = 0.48kWh = @ 0.2722c per kWh is $4.05per month = $48.60 per year
i can pay half a year of my hp bill.

next year GST 9%
Now is for 20w for 24 hr = 0.48kWh = @ 0.2772c per kWh is $4.12per month = $49.49 per year
i can pay half a year of my hp bill + a quick few bus stop ride to interchange

that is based on the Electricity tariff for now.

so who want to give me $48.60 per year to switch on 24/7 my ONTs and routers? BTW add 5% for inflation.

that mean for 10yr + 5% inflation + GST at 7%=

total just to switch on 24/7 even when i not using it $611.25

So any taker? lai lai lai give me free money for 10yr to switch on my ONTs and routers 24/7 for only $611.25

Bonus for you as i only add inflation Excluding the ever changing Electricity tariff.

Edited by The_King
  • Wahaha 2