Births in Singapore hit decade low as deaths climb to historic peak

The_King

SINGAPORE - The number of babies born in Singapore fell to a 10-year low last year, while total deaths were the highest in almost a century.

The recession and massive uncertainties due to the Covid-19 pandemic may be leading some couples to put off expanding their families, experts say, even though most newborns last year were conceived before the pandemic.

• Wahaha 3

28 minutes ago, Homelander said:

Amazing u have these...last time lao lee always tell us 2 nia, if not will have 5-9 ginnas per fam wahaha

i got a classmate very cham... he is number 4 xdd in his family...

govt no give him support edusave bursary.

father drive teksi no earn much.

he no money go enrichment lessons or excursion

very ke lian...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

very ke lian...

Now still doing ok rite...last

time as country gets more developed, govt request for less births, more on quality of life...

Now like gostan haha, everything so ex, tolong u give birth also mai

• Wahaha 3
  • fapfapfap 1

3 hours ago, meng.huat said:

family-planning-cover.jpgfamily-planning.jpgtwo-is-enough.jpg21631582.jpegnew_stop-at-two-campaign3-1970-1986.jpg

3 hours ago, Homelander said:

Amazing u have these...last time lao lee always tell us 2 nia, if not will have 5-9 ginnas per fam wahaha

from a population replacement point of view, the optimal number of children per couple shld be 3 in order to get ard 2.1 average, so lao lee not wrong.

this is to ensure that with a stable population, the welfare burden will not be overstretched the system and that the average age remains at a economically competitive average of ard 35.

however, what was unforeseen was that the campaign was too successful in that it brought down fertility rate to below 2 by 1978 but lao lee did not reverse the policy until the early 1990s, which was too late.

the same thing happened in tiongland whereby the policy of 1 child was abandoned 20 yrs too late.

the birth rate was alrdy slightly below 2 by ard 2000 but the self-interested cadres was still insisting that the birth rate still too high.

nb, this is what happened when u dont have real economic experts like GKS or HSS in the govt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meng.huat said:

very ke lian...

2 hours ago, Homelander said:

Now still doing ok rite...last

time as country gets more developed, govt request for less births, more on quality of life...

Now like gostan haha, everything so ex, tolong u give birth also mai

loong loong shld hire limpeh me and i guarantee that birth rate will increase by next yr.

wahahahahhahaha

How do countries fight falling birth rates?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51118616

• Like 2