RIP: nasi lemak stall owner

The_King

A fire broke out at a Whampoa HDB block on May. 6, 2024.

The fire left one dead, with another two people conveyed to hospital.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the fire at block 76 Lorong Limau at around 2:30am.

441711847_831610809013256_30528457090770

When SCDF arrived, the fire could be seen raging inside a unit on the sixth floor, and firefighters had to conduct forcible entry to access the unit.

As a precautionary measure, about 200 people from neighbouring units were evacuated by the Singapore Police Force (SPF) and SCDF.

The fire, which affected the entire unit, was extinguished by firefighters from Central Fire Station and Bishan Fire Station with two water jets.

Two people were found in the kitchen's utility room. The firefighters rescued them and conveyed them to Singapore General Hospital.

Another person was found inside a bedroom and was pronounced dead at the scene by an SCDF paramedic.

SPF said two women aged 60 and 77 were conveyed to the hospital.

The person found dead was a 60-year-old man.

“Based on preliminary investigations, the police do not suspect foul play,” SPF added.

The two injured parties were family members of the deceased, said Heng Chee How, a Member of Parliament (MP) in Jalan Besar group representation constituency (GRC).

Community organisations are working closely with HDB and the Town Council to render assistance and support to the affected families, Heng said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, said SCDF.

• Sad 3
  • wtf 3

"A fatal fire broke out in Whampoa in the early morning. The deceased was confirmed to be Cai Wanyuan, a 60-year-old nasi lemak stall owner.

Our reporter found the deceased's younger brother. He said in an interview that his brother had been selling nasi lemak at Whampoa Food Center for the past 40 years.

"I heard that my brother's house was on fire at around 2 a.m., so I rushed to the scene. I saw my mother downstairs. She was frightened and in shock, but she was in good health and was later sent to the hospital."

He also revealed that his brother, sister-in-law and mother usually lived in the unit where the fire broke out." 

• From Shin Min Daily News

The stall is Hi Leskmi, those in the Whampoa market area near Balestier road might have tried his food before. Chinese nasi lemak, choose your own dishes, usually got to queue. RIP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_King said:

"A fatal fire broke out in Whampoa in the early morning. The deceased was confirmed to be Cai Wanyuan, a 60-year-old nasi lemak stall owner.

Our reporter found the deceased's younger brother. He said in an interview that his brother had been selling nasi lemak at Whampoa Food Center for the past 40 years.

"I heard that my brother's house was on fire at around 2 a.m., so I rushed to the scene. I saw my mother downstairs. She was frightened and in shock, but she was in good health and was later sent to the hospital."

He also revealed that his brother, sister-in-law and mother usually lived in the unit where the fire broke out." 

• From Shin Min Daily News

The stall is Hi Leskmi, those in the Whampoa market area near Balestier road might have tried his food before. Chinese nasi lemak, choose your own dishes, usually got to queue. RIP

Sad. I eat this nasi lemak often

• Sad 2

IMG-7224.jpg