Singaporean climber missing after reaching summit of Mount Everest on Friday

The_King

SINGAPORE – Singaporean climber Shrinivas Sainis last sent a text message to his wife on Friday saying he had reached the summit of Everest, but he was not likely to make it back down.

Mr Shrinivas, 39, who is an executive director at real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle, left for Mount Everest on April 1. He was due to return home on June 4.

Speaking to The Straits Times, his wife Sushma Soma said she last heard from him at 3.30pm on Friday. There has been no word from him since.

Madam Soma, a 36-year-old musician, said: “Through his satellite phone, he told me that he had made it to the summit. But then he followed with bad news, saying he would not be able to make it down.”

She added that he told her he had come down with high altitude cerebral edema (Hace), a severe type of high altitude illness that could prove fatal.

She learnt at 2am on Saturday that the two sherpas he was with as well as another person in the group made it down from the mountain, but her husband never did.

The Straits Times has contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Seven Summit Treks - a Nepal-based adventure travel operator - for more information. Mr Shrinivas’ Everest ascent was organised by Seven Summit Treks and another operator, Nepal Guide Treks.

Singaporean climber Kumaran Rasappan, who scaled Mount Everest in 2012, said there are two main fatal illnesses that can occur at such high altitudes - Hace and high altitude pulmonary edema or Hape.

Dr Kumaran, 39, who is a consultant at the department of orthopaedic surgery at the National University Hospital, said the brain fills up with fluid when struck by Hace.

He added that the illness could lead to a loss of coordination and climbers could become unable to understand their surroundings. In some cases, they could experience hallucinations.

When hit with Hape, fluid fills up the climber’s lungs, he said. It can lead to cough, and climbers may experience breathlessness and difficulty walking.

Dr Kumaran, who holds an international diploma in mountain medicine, said: “The main thing that should be done when either of these two illnesses occur is to get the person down the mountain as soon as possible.”

He added that steroids and supplemental oxygen can act as temporary measures while the climber gets to lower altitude.

Mr Shrinivas’ family members have started a petition on Change.org to help bolster support for ongoing search efforts.

The petition said a team of sherpas embarked on a search operation this morning, but added that there is more to do and a need to act faster. The petition has got 7,200 signatures, so far.

Madam Soma said: “We are racing against time to find him, and we are urgently looking for anyone who has rescue mission contacts in Nepal to help.”

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The_King said:

all these thing have risk, i think he knew the risk for doing that

Yeah, but said go early April liao - cos need time for the briefings and getting used to the altitude. Maybe climbed some other peaks also. Problem with Everest is got many climb late night or v early morning, so reach before sunrise and forced to come down like assembly line. If got out of sync and sit down then no way someone's going to be able to bring them back :s 

• Geek 1

14 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Yeah, but said go early April liao - cos need time for the briefings and getting used to the altitude. Maybe climbed some other peaks also. Problem with Everest is got many climb late night or v early morning, so reach before sunrise and forced to come down like assembly line. If got out of sync and sit down then no way someone's going to be able to bring them back :s 

a few week is not enough to get use to the altitude.

the mount everest? more like mount death, over 300 ppl dead body are in mount everest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

10 minutes ago, The_King said:

a few week is not enough to get use to the altitude.

the mount everest? more like mount death, over 300 ppl dead body are in mount everest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

I thought this guy climbed other mountains so should have done hypoxic tent sleeping in Sinkieland :s Like that, then can go there and climb Everest over 6-7 weeks. 

Even those climbers in Switzerland & Austria would climb their taller mountains and stay there for 3-4 weeks to get more red blood cells by being active during the day and sleeping in cabins at high altitude before starting their climbs in Nepal or Pakistan. 

Sinkieland really jin jialats .. at sea level, so hot, so humid and not so great for body to recover after extra training also :( 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

I thought this guy climbed other mountains so should have done hypoxic tent sleeping in Sinkieland :s Like that, then can go there and climb Everest over 6-7 weeks. 

Even those climbers in Switzerland & Austria would climb their taller mountains and stay there for 3-4 weeks to get more red blood cells by being active during the day and sleeping in cabins at high altitude before starting their climbs in Nepal or Pakistan. 

Sinkieland really jin jialats .. at sea level, so hot, so humid and not so great for body to recover after extra training also :( 

at least he did what he love doing

please let this be me, my dream death

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by The_King
  • Wahaha 1

2 minutes ago, The_King said:

at least he did what he love doing

please let this be me, my dream death

maxresdefault.jpg

Take your meds la .. die cock stand the doctor and coroner will laugh until peng ..

Yeah, that guy atleast before death managed to contact his wifu and send messages/talk. Sad case, RIP 

• Wahaha 2

2 hours ago, coffeenut said:

Take your meds la .. die cock stand the doctor and coroner will laugh until peng ..

Yeah, that guy atleast before death managed to contact his wifu and send messages/talk. Sad case, RIP 

hahaha

i dun mind, we all have our own way we hope to die in