Toddler has diarrhoea 12 times in 24 hours after coming home from childcare centre

The_King

Her two-year-old son had diarrhoea 12 times in 24 hours.

Stomper Abie was so worried about her child that she took him to KK Women's and Children's Hospital on July 14.

The diagnosis was viral gastroenteritis with dehydration.

Viral gastroenteritis is an intestinal infection caused by several different viruses. The most common way of developing the infection – also referred to as a stomach flu – is through contact with an infected person’s fluids or by consuming contaminated food or water.

The Stomper said: "My son got food poisoning after consuming food from Jeewa Catering Services who was the caterer for Jamiyah Childcare Centre."

She said that after coming home from the Ang Mo Kio childcare centre, her son went to sleep, but at 3am, he started having diarrhoea. He was hospitalised for three days.

After being discharged on July 16, the boy was re-admitted again three days later for acute gastroenteritis. He has since been discharged.

Abie told Stomp: "This has caused me to be under pressure."

She said she has withdrawn her son from the childcare centre "due to significant negligence in welfare, including very poor hygiene practices" and reported the incident to the Singapore Food Agency (SFA).

Asked if other children in the childcare centre also had food poisoning, the Stomper said: "I am not sure about this, but it is happening to my child."

In response to a Stomp query, SFA and the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) said: "SFA and ECDA are investigating one reported case of suspected food poisoning incident.

"Food safety is a joint responsibility. While SFA puts in place and enforces the regulatory measures, food operators must play their part by adhering to good food hygiene and preparation practices. SFA conducts regular inspections of food establishments to ensure compliance with hygiene standards, and will not hesitate to take enforcement action if food safety and hygiene violations are detected.

"Members of the public who come across any potentially errant food operator should report to SFA via the online feedback form (www.sfa.gov.sg/feedback)."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • wtf 1

15 hours ago, chamfer said:

My kid also had stomach flu last week. I also suspected myself had it after my kid recovered.

Luckily both of us no diarrhoea only sloght vomitting. Guess during that time must be stomach flu bug going around

Recently my child got HFMD and Covid. Really tough to look after

• Sad 2

IMG-7224.jpg