Man Who Won $1Mil Toto Prize Years Ago Now A Char Siew Hawker

The_King

$3.50 Toto ticket won Ivan Leong around $1 million in a lottery draw back in 2013. He generously split the money with his then-girlfriend Stephanie Ng, 30, bought a flat and shared the remaining spoils with his parents. Thereafter, the 33-year-old started work as a financial advisor.

Here’s where his life’s trajectory takes an even more interesting turn: he quit six years later to become an apprentice at a roast meat stall in Ang Mo Kio – he declines to tell us which one – for around “$1,000 plus a month”. He explains: “I was getting quite bored and wanted to look for something different”. But why this job? He reasons: “I have a passion for cooking. And my pay improved after a while. But I wasn’t working there for the high pay. It was for the experience I’d get in running a business [later on], and to master my roasting [skills].”

It seems to have paid off. Six months ago, he started his own rival roast meat brand — dubbed Char Siu Lang — at a kopitiam a stone’s throw away from ABC Brickworks Food Centre, where there’s stiff competition in the form of Fatty Cheong.

The punny name is hilarious for two reasons: Ivan is fond of the Hokkien phrase cha si lang, which roughly translates to, “"annoying people to death”. He adds: “We also want to be known as the lang (people) to go to for char siew”.

• Like 1