Radio DJ who laughed at science teacher’s pronunciation ‘taking a break’

The_King

A radio DJ in Sarawak is taking a break from work after a TikTok video of himself laughing at a science teacher’s manner of speaking on national television got him into hot water. 

Muhammad Yusuf Shukri, or DJ Yusuf, deleted the video when criticism was leveled against him on Twitter and his social media pages. HitzFM in Sarawak, said in private replies to one critic today that it was aware of the incident and that the 29-year-old was taking a break from work.

“We will look into the matter and until then, the announcer will be taking a break from being on-air,” HitzFM Sarawak wrote. Yusuf goes on air from 3pm to 8pm on weekdays.

The nearly a minute-long clip was posted yesterday and showed Yusuf laughing to a clip of the primary school teacher talking about human reproduction on the newly launched DidikTV

When the teacher said, “You can see that human[s] reproduce by giving birth,” Yusuf guffawed and added the caption “bird” in the video, which many thought was an idiotic thing to do. 

“This ladies and gentlemen; is a moron,” Twitter user Amer_aljeffrey wrote today with a copy of the video. 

This ladies and gentlemen; is a moron. pic.twitter.com/YnhuxPDgnc

— Majnun (@amer_aljeffrey) February 19, 2021

Former Astro Radio CEO Jake Abdullah even chimed in, saying: “I would have sacked him for this.”

Neither Yusuf nor HitzFM Sarawak responded to Coconuts’ request for further comment.

https://www.facebook.com/inforoadblockjpjpolis/videos/561224091448624

DJ Yusuf resigns from HitzFM Sarawak

Muhammad Yusuf Shukri, or DJ Yusuf, has resigned from radio station HitzFM Sarawak after a video of himself laughing at a science teacher drew backlash. 

His former employer said that they have accepted his resignation, noting that Yusuf leaves them today. The station did not elaborate on findings from an internal inquiry it launched after the TikTok video of Yusuf, 29, ridiculing a teacher’s pronunciation of “birth” and several others was met with criticism. 

“Hitz remains committed to keeping Malaysians informed and entertained,” a statement by HitzFM said, adding: “Following internal inquiry into our recent controversy involving one of our announcers, we have accepted his resignation effective 22nd February 2020.”

Yusuf joined HitzFM Sarawak as a radio announcer three years ago. He pulled the offending video from his TikTok account last week and posted an apology online. 

“I would like to sincerely apologize to the teacher who I made fun of,” he said on Instagram, adding: “My TikTok video was not funny at all. It was very demeaning, very disrespectful, distasteful of me to do such a video.”

In the now-deleted TikTok video, Yusuf was filmed laughing at the primary school science teacher lecturing about human reproduction in the English language on the recently launched DidikTV. 

When the teacher said, “You can see that human[s] reproduce by giving birth,” Yusuf guffawed and added the caption “bird” in the video.