Minisforum V3 FULL Walkthrough. Ryzen 7 8840U Windows 11 Pro Tablet

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The_King said:

what model you buy got link?

7840U is AMD Radeon 780M

I bought 2 ..

1 for Dad & Mom (Ryzen 7840U) https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=21K5CTO1WWSG1

1 for myself (Ryzen 7735U) https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=21M3CTO1WWSG1

For myself, chose a full 100% sRGB screen, 16GB soldered SODIMM and 512GB m2 2242 ssd. Later will add 1 more stick of RAM and add 1 more SSD to the second SSD slot - both SSD slots are user replaceable - but the second one takes a m2 2280 SSD)

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

lab-local-proof.png

Cannot la, never liked it. Even though it is prolly the most friendly version for Win$$ users lol

I rather something more familiar like Debian. Last time start out with Slackware, but Debian just easier to live with cos maintenance no problem :(  I partition 180G Win 11, 300GB for Data. If install Linux, maybe shrink that last volume down to 220GB and use 80GB. Might do that once I add a second m2 ssd :(

2 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Cannot la, never liked it. Even though it is prolly the most friendly version for Win$$ users lol

I rather something more familiar like Debian. Last time start out with Slackware, but Debian just easier to live with cos maintenance no problem :(  I partition 180G Win 11, 300GB for Data. If install Linux, maybe shrink that last volume down to 220GB and use 80GB. Might do that once I add a second m2 ssd :(

Can't find a lot of drivers on Debian, Linux Mint has most of them. Only problem I have with it, is that it takes up more storage than other distros.

• Sad 1

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

15 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

I bought 2 ..

1 for Dad & Mom (Ryzen 7840U) https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=21K5CTO1WWSG1

1 for myself (Ryzen 7735U) https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=21M3CTO1WWSG1

For myself, chose a full 100% sRGB screen, 16GB soldered SODIMM and 512GB m2 2242 ssd. Later will add 1 more stick of RAM and add 1 more SSD to the second SSD slot - both SSD slots are user replaceable - but the second one takes a m2 2280 SSD)

WTF 1.6k

faint.

me just want the cheapest laptop with 780M IGPU that all, so hard

• Wahaha 2

4 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Can't find a lot of drivers on Debian, Linux Mint has most of them. Only problem I have with it, is that it takes up more storage than other distros.

Size is larger cos they include a whole bunch of kernels with support for lot of hardware (which Debian/Slack/Arch don't do by default). Plus Mint installs a lot of software by default - in trying to be a starting point distribution for everyone. Think you can kill the GUI from starting up, then remove the whatever it is you are running along with all the GUI programs. Then go with an environment that takes less space like XFCE or LXDE and install what GUI apps you need. Confirm save lot of space 

Debian default approach with the netinstall CD is .. help chiu build base system with networking on - then install whatever you want. But yeah, need to know what hardware exists on your machine - so you can grab whatever unspoorted device driver is needed and put on your bootable USB stick :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_King said:

WTF 1.6k

faint.

me just want the cheapest laptop with 780M IGPU that all, so hard

I'll tell you why bought that laptop for parents .. cos Mom tell me streaming services beedio and YT beedio played at 720p 60fps and higher resolution make the video choppy and jumpy :facepalm:

Okay la .. it was an old laptop but don't want to hear that complaint again :( 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Don't buy laptop la .. make mini PC with a more powderful/higher TDP CPU and iGPU  :(

But why need 780M? :( 

Dun like ubild quality of Asus, Acer, Razer etc laptops :(

780M can do light gaming, and dont suck so much power.

minipc with 780m around 900 to 1.2k. with that price range might as well get laptop

there laptop around 1k to 1.1k with RTX 2050 but that one old old tech liao, so i hunting for new tech with IGPU 780m

Edited by The_King

2 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Size is larger cos they include a whole bunch of kernels with support for lot of hardware (which Debian/Slack/Arch don't do by default). Plus Mint installs a lot of software by default - in trying to be a starting point distribution for everyone. Think you can kill the GUI from starting up, then remove the whatever it is you are running along with all the GUI programs. Then go with an environment that takes less space like XFCE or LXDE and install what GUI apps you need. Confirm save lot of space 

Debian default approach with the netinstall CD is .. help chiu build base system with networking on - then install whatever you want. But yeah, need to know what hardware exists on your machine - so you can grab whatever unspoorted device driver is needed and put on your bootable USB stick :(

Moi do a lot of shit with my OS, everything from programming to virtualizing.  The pain of looking for the right driver/package/library on top of experimenting with new shit is too much. My single purpose servers are usually ubuntu without GUI.

• Wahaha 1

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

2 minutes ago, The_King said:

780M can do light gaming, and dont suck so much power.

minipc with 780m around 900 to 1.2k. with that price range might as well get laptop

there laptop around 1k to 1.1k with RTX 2050 but that one old old tech liao, so i hunting for new tech with IGPU 780m

No, get the mini PC la. You will get better cooling, and most likely a CPU with a higher TDP. Might as well get a HS series from AMD instead of U - like a 7840HS instead of 7840U

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840hs.html

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840u.html

The TDP difference between the HS and U series is significant, and you'll get a lot more performance in a miniPC like chassis

Just now, coffeenut said:

No, get the mini PC la. You will get better cooling, and most likely a CPU with a higher TDP. Might as well get a HS series from AMD instead of U - like a 7840HS instead of 7840U

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840hs.html

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-7-7840u.html

The TDP difference between the HS and U series is significant, and you'll get a lot more performance in a miniPC like chassis

ok then,

i hunt for giga, miniforum and beelink

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Moi do a lot of shit with my OS, everything from programming to virtualizing.  The pain of looking for the right driver/package/library on top of experimenting with new shit is too much. My single purpose servers are usually ubuntu without GUI.

One time job mah .. once setup no need change anything. That's why okay with that approach with Debian. 

But yeah, all the drivers that work on Ubuntu and Mint work with Debian - just that you need to add them manually. Actually, Mint I think has a fully Debian edition or used to - so might download and check it out. I hate it with the new UEFI nonsense :( 

• Wahaha 1