My Chinese wife's irrational hatred for Japan is concerning me

The_King

I am an EU citizen married to a Chinese woman. This morning, while nursing a hangover from New Year's celebrations, I saw news about the earthquake in Japan and multiple tsunami warnings being issued. I showed my wife some on-the-ground videos from the affected areas. Her response was "Very good."

I was taken aback by her callous reaction. I pointed out that if I had responded the same way to news of the recent deadly earthquake in Gansu, China, she would rightly be upset. I asked her to consider how it's not nice to wish harm on others that way.

She replied that it's "not the same thing" because "Japanese people killed many Chinese people in the past, so they deserve this."

I tried explaining that my grandfather's brother was kidnapped and died in a Nazi concentration camp, even though we aren't Jewish. While this history is very personal to me, I don't resent modern-day Germans for what their ancestors did generations ago.

I don't understand where this irrational hatred for Japan comes from with my wife. I suspect years of biased education and social media reinforcement in China play a big role. But her inability to see innocent Japanese earthquake victims as fellow human beings is very concerning to me. I'm not sure how to get through to her on this. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation with a Chinese spouse? Any advice would be much appreciated.