Man says he “gets little in return” for sacrificing 2 years of his life in National Service

aaur4man

Man says he “gets little in return” for sacrificing 2 years of his life in National Service
Man says he “gets little in return” for sacrificing 2 years of his life in National Service©

SINGAPORE: A man took to social media complaining anonymously about his National Service experience.

In a post to popular confessions page NUSWhispers, the man wrote: “When the average Singaporean son sacrifices 2 years of his life for the country, he firstly and foremost protects the interests of people in positions of power and wealthy elites, as a matter of fact. And he gets little in return”. He opined that he could not apply what he learned during his National Service to a corporate job. He also felt that it “delays 2 years of your career progression while others have already graduated when you begin your university”.

The man wrote: “Don’t you love it whenever the topic of NS is brought up, there’re many people who’ll say, “yeah it’s the duty of a Singaporean son”, “you gotta give back 2 years for the prosperity of your country”, etc. Prosperity is not just defined by the GDP or GDP per capita of a country, it’s how happy the average citizens are, not just the wealthiest or the most well-connected citizens. When we talk about Singapore getting more prosperous, are we talking about our average salaries going up? Our standards of living improving? Our society getting more harmonious and trusting? Our healthcare services and education quality improving?”

Netizens who commented on the man’s post said that a number of his views only applied to him. One wrote: “Oh well look at the bright side. It toughen you up for afew years. You have access and able to handle some military hardware that is off limits to others. Free food, medical care & exercises. You get to travel to other countries for training. And you have very close buddies. If we don’t have a fighting force to safeguard the country. Very soon you wouldn’t have a nickel for your grandma to buy herself a ang gu kuieh”.

Edited by aaur4man
  • Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

Is it not my duty to protect the country.

It is the duty of everyone who live here be it local, FT, new citizens, PR (those stay here over 6yr and still pr. ) to protect this country

If there war I will seek asylum in country like usa, Europe etc...

Then seek my status as refugee

Edited by The_King
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_King said:

Is it not my duty to protect the country.

It is the duty of everyone who live here be it local, FT, new citizens, PR (those stay here over 6yr and still pr. ) to protect this country

If there war I will seek asylum in country like usa, Europe etc...

Then seek my status as refugee

That is an entirely different thing le - pretty much hypothetical about attacks and war.

More like the guy in the NUSWhispers nonsense is someone who is trying to compare himself against females or FT .. and not comparing himself against the other male SGPoreans in his cohort. Serve 2 years NS expect some sort of cushy job or award .. then the SGporean male who is gold medalist will want to be given multi star general status and drafted into minster post sibo? 

2 hours ago, coffeenut said:

That is an entirely different thing le - pretty much hypothetical about attacks and war.

More like the guy in the NUSWhispers nonsense is someone who is trying to compare himself against females or FT .. and not comparing himself against the other male SGPoreans in his cohort. Serve 2 years NS expect some sort of cushy job or award .. then the SGporean male who is gold medalist will want to be given multi star general status and drafted into minster post sibo? 

For me is the same, if they dont force.

I want see how many will join

16 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

Can do online propaganda only la .. no need fight

The age of the Keyboard Warrior :( 

Keyboard I also dont want fight for them. I only this for this

We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow.”