Audi zooms past red light at Lentor Avenue, narrowly misses pedestrian

The_King

A woman had a narrow escape when a red Audi came within inches of hitting her at a pedestrian crossing at Lentor Avenue.

The incident occurred on Thursday (Dec 30) at 3.31pm at the traffic light before Lentor Residence.

More from AsiaOneRead the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.

A 15-second clip of the incident was uploaded on Facebook page Beh Chia Lor - Singapore Road and has since accumulated over 104,000 views and 379 comments.

Captured on the dashboard camera of a car in the middle lane, the video showed a woman who appeared to be looking down at her phone while crossing the road.

Though the traffic light was in the pedestrian's favour, an Audi sedan whizzed past. The woman noticed at the last second and reacted quickly to avoid being hit.

In the comments section, netizens were shocked at the driver's recklessness – one pointed out that the weather conditions did not permit driving at such speed.

Another Facebook user urged authorities to take action while reminding pedestrians that it is best to be aware of their surroundings when crossing the road. 

010122_audilentor_fbcomment1.jpg PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook/Beh Chia Lor - Singapore Road 010122_audilentor_fbcomment.jpg PHOTO: Screengrab/Facebook/Beh Chia Lor - Singapore Road

Under the Driver Improvement Points System, failure to conform to traffic light signals carries 12 demerit points. Light vehicle drivers can be fined $400 and heavy vehicle drivers can be fined $500.

• Like 1

Nowadays cross pedestrian crossing with green light in my favour or zebra crossing, i keep looking around and some people think i siao lang.

Witnessed someone been knocked and flip like a ragdoll over the car right in front of me at pedestrian crossing(green man)at orchard boulevard when i was 12 years old. Still cannot forget it.

• Wahaha 1

11 hours ago, chamfer said:

Nowadays cross pedestrian crossing with green light in my favour or zebra crossing, i keep looking around and some people think i siao lang.

Witnessed someone been knocked and flip like a ragdoll over the car right in front of me at pedestrian crossing(green man)at orchard boulevard when i was 12 years old. Still cannot forget it.

For me if they cut in front of me suddenly just a few inches from me, i wack the vehicle when i walking at pedestrian crossing.

• Like 1