[Discussion] Will iPhone 13's satellite comm feature herald the end of telco as we know it?

Satki

will the phone maker be the owner of satellites and then offer comm via their satellites and their own internet link

does that mean telcos will be meaningless as we just need to subscribe to a phone from the phone maker and they provide everything. 

Sound science fiction? Not too long ago telcos held us by the balls with their call minutes and then later with their bandwidth.

who knows in a few years time they become like the ah seng mobile shop, selling handset at a bargain

what do you think?

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

I think will expect lockout of this to protect their dying telcos. Just like sph they can delay but can never stop.

Probably first few years it will be like satellite dish, controlled.

• Like 3

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

17 hours ago, Satki said:

I think will expect lockout of this to protect their dying telcos. Just like sph they can delay but can never stop.

Probably first few years it will be like satellite dish, controlled.

apparently this tech did very well during testing in outback australia.

the quality is way better than what telstra or optus were offering.

so initial take-up will be those rural outback places b4 expanding into cities.

https://www.reviews.org/au/internet/starlink-satellite-internet-australia/

Anecdotally, one Australian user from Canberra told the ABC they’d experienced speeds up to 344Mbps while reliably hitting between 150Mbps and 250Mbps throughout the day. Other reports suggest that Starlink upload speeds float around the 20Mbps mark.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Satki said:

will the phone maker be the owner of satellites and then offer comm via their satellites and their own internet link

does that mean telcos will be meaningless as we just need to subscribe to a phone from the phone maker and they provide everything. 

Sound science fiction? Not too long ago telcos held us by the balls with their call minutes and then later with their bandwidth.

who knows in a few years time they become like the ah seng mobile shop, selling handset at a bargain

what do you think?

3 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

apparently this tech did very well during testing in outback australia.

the quality is way better than what telstra or optus were offering.

so initial take-up will be those rural outback places b4 expanding into cities.

https://www.reviews.org/au/internet/starlink-satellite-internet-australia/

Anecdotally, one Australian user from Canberra told the ABC they’d experienced speeds up to 344Mbps while reliably hitting between 150Mbps and 250Mbps throughout the day. Other reports suggest that Starlink upload speeds float around the 20Mbps mark.

No such thing

I got Singtel share ok.

I buy high and it will nv go low

• Wahaha 2

3 hours ago, Standing Birdy said:

Waiting for starlink to work well for mobile userbase. Then can buy a yacht as home and wfh while sailing around.

wah same dream

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_King said:

No such thing

I got Singtel share ok.

sinktel

name says it all.

use to think telco can withstand all shocks

now dont really believe. the internet kill their call minutes plan years back, so now they are throwing money into wherever they can

• Wahaha 1

14 hours ago, Homelander said:

Confirm not iphone 13 ba...Apple is quite slow on the uptake...maybe future versions

Apple is good at creating ecosystem and locking customers in. If they can lock users into their network means can milk more money. Those isheeps unable/unwilling to leave the ecosystem will keep paying. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The_King said:

No such thing

I got Singtel share ok.

12 hours ago, Satki said:

sinktel

name says it all.

use to think telco can withstand all shocks

now dont really believe. the internet kill their call minutes plan years back, so now they are throwing money into wherever they can

those with strong r&d and good biz strategies still surviving very well.

wahahahahaha

Telenor appoints new CEO for Myanmar unit - Mobile World Live

• Wahaha 1

12 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

those with strong r&d and good biz strategies still surviving very well.

wahahahahaha

Telenor appoints new CEO for Myanmar unit - Mobile World Live

Is that a tip?