Fresh vs frozen: Which vegetables are better?

Bigbird

Fresh vs frozen: Which vegetables are better?

March 18, 2019

4 minute read

When you think about healthy food, you probably think of fresh, crunchy vegetables, bursting with colour and flavour. Many a health kick has begun with a trolley load or cardboard box piled with fresh produce, all ready to be chopped into inspiring salads, soups, stir-fries and veggie-based sides – or crunched straight from the fridge as a snack.

Frozen vegetables, on the other hand, are longer lasting, more convenient and unlikely to end up in your bin at the end of the week. They’re also said to pack a stronger nutritional punch. So the next time you’re doing your weekly grocery shop, which option should you be buying? Are frozen vegetables really better than fresh?

To separate fact from fiction, we’ve outlined the pros and cons of fresh and frozen vegetables.

The benefits of frozen vegetables:

1. Frozen vegetables lose fewer nutrients

There’s a misconception that frozen vegetables lose nutrients, but as they are usually picked or harvested at peak ripeness then snap frozen within hours, they maintain maximum nutrient levels.

Two independent studies by the University of Chester and Leatherhead Food Research found in 66 per cent of cases, frozen fruit and vegetables contained more antioxidants such as vitamin C, polyphenols, beta carotene and lutein compared to fresh varieties stored in the fridge for three days.

While they’re jam-packed with nutrients, keep in mind that boiling frozen (or fresh) vegetables may cause the nutrients to leech out according to Anika Rouf, accredited practising dietitian and spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia. That’s why she recommends steaming or baking your veggies instead.

2. Frozen vegetables are more widely available

While organic or freshly picked produce purchased through a farmers market, grocer or your own backyard offer peak nutrients, they’re not always easy or possible to get your hands on. Frozen veggies, on the other hand, are convenience food and are widely available at a range of price points.

While supermarkets offer many out of season fresh fruit and vegetables all year round, many of these have been in cold storage for up to or even longer than a year, while others may have travelled long distances to get to your local store.

3. Frozen vegetables save on waste

In an age where we’re more conscious about food waste than ever before – and the veggie crisper often the place where vegetables slowly turn mushy and unappealing – frozen veg is the better option as it stores well for months.

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/healthy-living/fresh-vs-frozen-vegetables%23:~:text%3DTwo%20independent%20studies%20by%20the,the%20fridge%20for%20three%20days.&ved=2ahUKEwiGlJKNhZ_yAhUAwosBHXQfAHwQFnoECAUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1obLhyQZ0r4tlt89XX1LEc&cshid=1628344236438

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_King said:

got picture to share?

No pic cos not i use. Missus uses it after i convince her of it. Over bought the bags cos i thought hard to find but actually can reuse. 

Buy bigger bags and you can reuse till too small. 

• Like 1

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

2 hours ago, Satki said:

No pic cos not i use. Missus uses it after i convince her of it. Over bought the bags cos i thought hard to find but actually can reuse. 

Buy bigger bags and you can reuse till too small. 

I catch no ball! :/

• Wahaha 1

3 hours ago, Bigbird said:

I catch no ball! :/

'what happen to the balls? just jokimg

what I want to say is buy the bigger bags. when you cut open the bag, as it is big you can use it to seal again

• nomnomnom 1

Helping a friend to gain more subscribers. He is quite a talented music creator. Look for "Thee Influence" in Youtube

3 hours ago, The_King said:

key word her, missus

So female where got ball

Got lah! 

U need to stop looking for lambutans and look higher up for honeydew. 

Many aunties always purposely show me their honey 🍑🍑 & then say xiao di ni yao xe moh? 💋

• Wahaha 2

1 hour ago, Satki said:

'what happen to the balls? just jokimg

what I want to say is buy the bigger bags. when you cut open the bag, as it is big you can use it to seal again

oh recycle har!

U vacuum seal fresh or frozen food?

14 hours ago, Bigbird said:

oh recycle har!

U vacuum seal fresh or frozen food?

I see my wife seal the fresh vegge as it last longer in the fridge. Else it shrivel if left unseal

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, Satki said:

I see my wife seal the fresh vegge as it last longer in the fridge. Else it shrivel if left unseal

dont get me wrong. 

Recycling is good & I'm not interested saving the earth blah blah blah....

👍 pse share more tips. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The_King said:

thing like blender, no instant water heater, cheap E27 light type, super rack as bed frame, stainless kicthen cab like those in hwaker center

Most prefer the no fuss way.  Just spend more for convenience.  

Thats why wet marķet phasing out. Local craftmen is a dying trade. 

Spoil just buy new one is the way to go. Most dont check if its the fuse or caps or batteries dead.  

Edited by Bigbird

1 minute ago, Bigbird said:

Most prefer the no fuse way.  Just spend more for convenience.  

Thats why wet marķet phasing out. Local craftmen is a dying trade. 

Spoil just buy new one is the way to go. Most dont check if its the fuse or caps or batteries dead.  

me only interested in self sufficient, self sustaining. which manual way is one of them

• Like 1