this guy 2Rm Type 1 (35sqm) nice design

The_King

Hi guys,

It has been a long arduous renovation journey since I got the keys to my humble 2 room flat last September. When I first started my renovation research, I realized that there is just not that much reference material out for the the type 1 2-rm flats. There are much more on the slightly larger type 2 flats (47sqm) but not the type 1 (35sqm). I did come across an excellent blog by ryanyth on Renotalk also (thank you, ryanyth!) that has helped me tremendously in piecing the puzzles together for renovating my first home. So I thought I'll share my entire thought process in hopes of helping all you new 2-rm flat owners looking to see what you can do with your space. 

1354931684_Houseplan.jpg.f6c9fd607e6672771e1e96a2e3619b3a.jpg

Planning

One of the first things to do is to have a mental checklist of what you plan to do with the space. Are you going to work from home? Do you plan to have visitors over often? It's important to be honest with yourself and kinda visualize how you see you would interact with the space. 35sqm is not a big space but more than adequate if you curate your things and habits properly. One good place to look for inspiration is Pintrest - just tag those styles that you like and soon you will have an idea of how you want your dream home to look like. 

20190722-ManCave-5.jpg.24c16b44820dfd769766435660d265d1.jpg

I have long planned my home to be my personal mancave - a place that I can not only relax and chill surrounded by my favorite things, but also a place where I can work if need be ( I work freelance so I can work from home).  As you can see from my tile and flooring choices I gravitate towards the Muji feel with natural earthy colors. 

20190722-ManCave-11.jpg.34fc82639200628ca11eeeca7255cdbf.jpg

As you can see, I knocked down the partition wall with the sliding door, and it really opens up the space to a lot of possibilities. I am an avid gamer so I turned the bedroom into an entertainment space with an overhead projector and a pull down screen for movies and games. 

20190722-ManCave-8.jpg.739170ef8bf5c42bf7492875357a2bbe.jpg

The main living room with a lounging/reading corner. Furniture is mostly Muji, some that I got from Carousell at an absolute deal. The sofa turns into a single bed by just removing the 2 back pillow. I have been advised against the open shelf system since dust tends to collect on your things, but it's a compromise that I have to live with to display my favorite things like my model plane collection and books. Also, I feel that too much built in storage cupboards will make such a small space feel even smaller. The wall will be my memory wall with pictures of family, friends and travels.

There is a foldable table from IKEA that I can bring in and open up in front of the sofa bed in order to host large gatherings of people. Coffee table can be folded and stored away. I have managed to squeeze 15 people in my home - a tight squeeze but definitely doable. 

20190722-ManCave-10.jpg.bb90cef13a565b0c1bbfac5234c2d943.jpg

The bedroom is turned into an office/game room with my gaming computer and flight simulator, with a bar table along the window. I am lucky to have a pretty decent view so the bar table is a great space to have breakfast and enjoy the scenery. Both the table and bar table are suar wood, and are one of the few extravagances I allowed myself.

20190722-ManCave-7.jpg.74ceb7bf18aef9716e8b60a1dce280d5.jpg

The bathroom is a zen space with wood like tiles on the walls and stone like tiles (from Hafary) for the floor. Mirror and sink/cabinet are from IKEA. I bought most of the fixtures from AliExpress or Ezbuy, which can be a gamble but definitely saves a lot of money. The emphasis is on clean uncluttered design.

20190722-ManCave-1.jpg.a85fb52de42bb9939c409806e07f12b9.jpg

The kitchen pantry is a customized IKEA IVAR system, with the frames painted black and the wood varnished to give a more industrial look.The fridge is small but definitely enough for one person. You do not want an oversized fridge to dominate your kitchen.

20190722-ManCave-3.jpg.5e3e79458d382af33ff0637065c4d6af.jpg

Yes I even installed an improvised arcade machine in my kitchen =D That way, there is a reason for friends to hang out in the kitchen and not crowd the living room too much. The car plates are from my time in the US, and most of the other metal posters are bought from Aliexpress. The original kitchen walls are overlayed with white brick tiles from Hafary.

20190722-ManCave-14.jpg.e096c46478516c737f4a5026adb4fafb.jpg

The bomb shelter has been converted into a small walk in closet, very much inspired by ryanyth and his blog. The system is ELVARLI from IKEA, and works perfect. It is also a place to keep the tools for the many DIY projects I do around the house. 

I will keep this post short for now but plan to share many technical difficulties experienced during the renovation process later. It took almost 6 months to complete due to problems mainly with the flooring. All said and done, total costs for renovation alone came up for about $15k and furniture another about 6-7k. I got a lot of things used from Carousell. I also decided to forgo the ID since I already know roughly how I want the design of my home to be, and I can afford the time to be more hands on and involved in the renovation process. No doubt that saved me a bunch of money.

Hope you guys enjoyed this post and don't hesitate to throw some questions my way. I'll be happy to help!   

20190722-ManCave-15.jpg