[Prepper] Off-grid DIY thread

Huat Zai

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The_King said:

Some parts of her design needs work though, like the grass on the hatch will die off quickly, her stove should have been a Dakota fire to reduce smoke, etc.

Edited by Huat Zai

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Some parts of her design needs work though, like the grass on the hatch will die off quickly, her stove should have been a Dakota fire to reduce smoke, etc.

There a modern version of the fire system

1 minute ago, The_King said:

There a modern version of the fire system

The rocket stove? In an underground bunker the rocket stove could choke and force the air back into the bunk if  the air flow is not good enough

19 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

The rocket stove? In an underground bunker the rocket stove could choke and force the air back into the bunk if  the air flow is not good enough

No, that one I plan to get for my home as it reduce smoke.

I see many review, once fire up it there no smoke. That one is one my off grid must have item

• Like 1

twitterreddit

Buying food in bulk and freezing it has so many benefits: You save time by going to the grocery store less, you save money buying larger quantities, and you ensure that you’ll always have something in the house for dinner. But there’s an art to buying bulk foods. Before you head to the store, check out this list of surprising items that you can buy in bulk and freeze for later.

1. Cheese

Freezing cheese is a little-known but valuable way to save money on groceries. Purchasing huge blocks of it at warehouse stores like Costco will help you keep the price per serving down. Before sticking it in the freezer, cut the hunks into smaller portions, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and then seal them inside an airtight container or bag.

Any type of cheese can be frozen, but keep in mind that some will retain their textures and flavors better than others. Favorites like cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, provolone, and gouda freeze best, but when they’re thawed, they may have a crumblier texture. Some cheese-freezers suggest using thawed cheese in cooked dishes so its texture isn’t an issue.

2. Milk

Unlike cheese, dairy milk suffers no textural effects from being frozen—you can load up your freezer with extra gallons so you’ll be set for the month. Since milk expands as it freezes, you may want to pour milk into freezer-safe containers and leave space between the surface of the milk and the top of the container. To thaw it, just put it in the fridge the night before, and it will be ready for your morning cereal.

3. Nuts

Nuts are high in protein and healthy unsaturated fats, and they’re easy to grab and go. With so many varieties and mixed options, buying nuts in bulk is a no-brainer. Many grocery stores have a dried-good section full of quality nuts at lower prices than pre-portioned packages. But the oils in nuts can turn rancid after a while, especially if they’re kept in a too-warm environment. If you buy them in bulk, pour out a week's worth into an airtight container and put the rest of them in the freezer, sealed in a Ziploc bag. They’ll stay fresh for over a year.

4. Eggs

Unless you have chickens, eggs are likely a mainstay of your shopping list. If you find a great deal on a few dozen at a roadside stand or Costco, you can freeze them—but not their shells. Since the liquids inside the shell expand when they freeze, the shell could crack, rendering the egg unsafe to eat. Instead, crack them and freeze the raw yolks and whites, or fully cook them and freeze in an airtight container.

5. Cooked Beans

When you have to feed a lot of people, beans are one of the cheapest ways to do it. Dried beans keep almost indefinitely in your pantry and cost pennies per serving, especially if you buy them in bulk.

A common complaint with dried beans is that they take a long time to soak and cook, but you can eliminate this hurdle by cooking a couple of 16-ounce packages of dried beans at once and freezing them, undrained, in one- or two-cup portions. To thaw, place the frozen beans in the fridge overnight. You can also add the frozen contents directly to soups or chili. This works for almost any legume: chickpeas, black beans, and even lentils.

6. Bananas

Buying a lot of bananas at once may seem pretty risky, but bananas are easy to freeze: Peel the banana, slice or mash it, and place in an airtight bag until you need it. You can use the frozen bananas for smoothies, baking, or even as a snack for a teething baby.

7. Berries

Buying fresh fruit when it’s in season is a tried-and-true rule of home economics. Thrifty types know that you can buy strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries in bulk and freeze them for enjoying during the winter months. Check out farmers markets, roadside fruit stands, or even pick-your-own farms to find fresh berries for really low prices.

To keep berries from freezing into one big clump, lay them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the freezer with space between each berry. Once they’re fully chilled, you can place them in a plastic bag or container, and they'll be much easier to add to smoothies, desserts, or oatmeal.

8. Leafy Greens

When super-nutritious leafy veggies like spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and collard greens are in season, you can buy a bunch and freeze them for later. Choose the best quality greens you can find, and once you get them home, wash them thoroughly. Remove the hard stems and chop into bite-sized pieces or ribbons. Blanch the greens in boiling water—which prevents the leaves from becoming mushy once defrosted—for up to one minute, then cool in a bowl of ice water. Finally, squeeze out as much water as you can from the leaves, seal in an airtight bag, and freeze.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The_King said:

This tactic won't work in a HDB neighbor, the interesting thing is that I've seen a tactic that might from the movie Crow Zero 

at 16:34 they piled tables and chairs into the staircase, if you chain it all up, it will take a while to cut through, giving you lots of time to throw things at them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Huat Zai said:

This tactic won't work in a HDB neighbor, the interesting thing is that I've seen a tactic that might from the movie Crow Zero 

at 16:34 they piled tables and chairs into the staircase, if you chain it all up, it will take a while to cut through, giving you lots of time to throw things at them.

I don't think the ppl around you will help to defend and protect.

My best option is to increase the protection of my metal gate and door which my new bto is currently aiming to.

Sinkies confirm will not help

FT, PR and new sinkies are too Lucifer and very cunning.

If somehow it already build I will be the first to take those Lucifer out

Edited by The_King
  • Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

@Huat Zai

Got any good mixer, grinder to recommend?

So far I found a few that can last.

For wet abd dry grain it Wonder mill junior, Country Living Grain Mill

For blender, food processor it Vortex Blender 

For mixer, food processor and dry grain  it little dutch maid

I sure I need at least 2 device wet grain and food process.

If I get all thoae might as well ankarsrum stand mixer cause this out is super lasting 

5 hours ago, The_King said:

@Huat Zai

Got any good mixer, grinder to recommend?

So far I found a few that can last.

For wet abd dry grain it Wonder mill junior, Country Living Grain Mill

For blender, food processor it Vortex Blender 

For mixer, food processor and dry grain  it little dutch maid

I sure I need at least 2 device wet grain and food process.

If I get all thoae might as well ankarsrum stand mixer cause this out is super lasting 

Have you tried kitchenaid? It's on the expensive side, but there are different attachments you can use to do just about any food processing you need.

5 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Have you tried kitchenaid? It's on the expensive side, but there are different attachments you can use to do just about any food processing you need.

Kitchen aid too lousy. Warranty 1 yr. ankarsrum is 7 yr

Which one will you pick, hand crank i guressing 1.4k or electricity guessing 2k?

3 minutes ago, The_King said:

Kitchen aid too lousy. Warranty 1 yr. ankarsrum is 7 yr

Which one will you pick, hand crank i guressing 1.4k or electricity guessing 2k?

Electricity for sure, unless your arms like Arnold. In a real survival you don't want to waste the energy on a crank anyways.

10 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Electricity for sure, unless your arms like Arnold. In a real survival you don't want to waste the energy on a crank anyways.

The electricity cannot do wet grain. Can kitchen aid do wet grain?

I need wet grain for to make walnuts paste, or sprouted almond paste etc....

If real survival hand crank win le. If shtf I don't think there electricity.

13 minutes ago, The_King said:

The electricity cannot do wet grain. Can kitchen aid do wet grain?

I need wet grain for to make walnuts paste, or sprouted almond paste etc....

If real survival hand crank win le. If shtf I don't think there electricity.

Cannot leh, need to be low moisture also, you'll need stone mill for wet grain I think.

If shtf I won't waste the energy on grinding food, most likely don't be able to grow grains anyway.

1 hour ago, Huat Zai said:

Cannot leh, need to be low moisture also, you'll need stone mill for wet grain I think.

If shtf I won't waste the energy on grinding food, most likely don't be able to grow grains anyway.

i mean dry grain will be stored in prepper style.

wet grain cannot be store long time and will buy when needed . cause i go to cow car water to buy raw nuts and grind myself. 1kg cashew is only $16.60, so i rather grind my myself to have cashew nut butter, almond also, peanut also etc....

the Wonder mill junior have stone mill and  Country Living Grain Mill can do wet or dry grain

OMG, my wet grain mean oily grain

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...