the Emperor's favorite hk punching bag but.........

socrates469bc

...... does LKS care?????

i never m a fan of his becos i m not a proponent of excessive property speculation though i admire his foresight and acumen.

but i m starting to see him in new light now that he is the only super tycoon who dare goes against the will of the Emperor and doesnt give a whiff. 

China's leaders once courted Li Ka-shing for his money and star power. But today, with protests engulfing Hong Kong, the billionaire is the target of public ridicule by Beijing as it tries to undercut the power of the city's tycoons.

HONG KONG – In January of 1993, an ambitious Chinese Communist Party boss, a 39-year-old official with chubby cheeks and a mop of black hair, visited Hong Kong. He was seeking out the city’s rich among the shimmering skyscrapers, hoping to secure investment in Fuzhou, the second-tier city he ran in mainland China. His name was Xi Jinping.

That August, Xi received a guest back home. Hong Kong’s most famous tycoon, Li Ka-shing, known locally as “superman” for his business acumen, had come to town. A photograph from the event shows Xi grinning as he walked beside Li, who held a bouquet of flowers in his hand. In the background, a long banner hung with the message to “warmly welcome” Li Ka-shing.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/hongkong-protests-tycoons/