Man leaves girlfriend heartbroken with his ‘disrespectful’ engagement ring choice: ‘You destroyed a family heirloom’

The_King

A man doesn’t understand why his fiancee hated the engagement ring he got her. 

He shared the dilemma with Reddit’s “Am I the A******? (AITA)” forum. He wanted to get his then-girlfriend a sentimental engagement ring. The Reddit poster discovered that his girlfriend’s late grandmother left her a ring. He then decided to take a diamond from the grandmother’s ring to use in the new engagement ring. But when he proposed, his girlfriend hated the idea. 

Taking a long flight home for the holidays? Here are some hacks to make your journey bearable

“My girlfriend and I have been together for about three years,” he said. “I decided that I wanted to propose. She’s hugely into jewelry, so I wanted to get her a really sentimental ring. At the end of September, her grandma suddenly passed away. And as my girlfriend was the only granddaughter, she was passed down her wedding ring.”

Create sweet treats with the kids this holiday season with help from Walmart:

“She and her grandma were extremely close, so I decided to ask her mom if she thought it’d be a good idea for me to use one of the diamonds in the ring for my girlfriend’s engagement ring. She told me that as much as she loved the idea, she didn’t know if my girlfriend would, and so told me to think about it.”

Despite the mother’s warning, he decided to disregard her advice altogether.

“I couldn’t find anything else I liked as much,” the Reddit poster explained. “My girlfriend didn’t wear the ring as she was worried about losing it, so [she] kept it in a box in a drawer, making it easy for me to take without her realizing. It ended up being a beautiful ring, and I thought she’d absolutely love the sentiment of it. Well, I proposed. She said yes immediately and was absolutely elated until she saw the ring.”

“She told me I’d practically vandalized and ruined the only meaningful thing of her grandmothers that she had and that I should have asked. I went to her mom for support, but she just kept saying she warned me that my girlfriend might not like the idea. She said yes to my proposal but refuses to wear the ring, which I just think is disrespectful considering how much money and thought went into it.”

Redditors didn’t go easy on the boyfriend. 

“YOU DESTROYED her one family heirloom! You were disrespectful and STOLE her property and then had it destroyed,” someone said

“This dude deserves no sympathy, and I cannot even believe he can even question whether he’s wrong,” another commented

“She needs to dump [him],” a user wrote

• Like 2