70-year-old man found dead in Bukit Merah flat; neighbours had noticed foul smell but didn't think much of it

The_King

A 70-year-old man's decomposing body was found in his Bukit Merah HDB flat on Thursday (April 25) after a neighbour had noticed a pungent smell emanating from the unit.

The police told AsiaOne that they were alerted to a case of unnatural death at Block 121 Bukit Merah View at 3.28pm that day.

The man was found lying motionless and was pronounced dead at scene.

When a Shin Min Daily News reporter visited the ninth floor of the block at about 5pm on Thursday, it was reported that a foul stench lingered in the corridor.

A 65-year-old woman surnamed Jiang, who lives on the same floor as the deceased, said the man moved in over a year ago and lived alone.

Describing the man as a kind person, Jiang said the deceased would typically exchange greetings and chat with the residents. He would often eat with her and her husband at the community centre and had a good relationship with his neighbours.

"We made plans last week to attend an activity at the community centre together, and he told us to take care of ourselves," she recalled.

"I never thought that the next update from him would be this bad news."

Jiang added that the man had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar. He occasionally had to visit the hospital for medical check-ups but could still walk with no problems.

Other neighbours whom Shin Min spoke to said they had occasionally smelled something rotting but did not think much of the smell.

They had not seen the man for several days, and it is believed he had died a few days ago.

Based on preliminary investigations, the police told AsiaOne they do not suspect foul play. Investigations are ongoing.

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, The_King said:

i guess that me

You create a daily check-in service. Online.

If don't checkin everyday with face recognition, or finger recognition - then the service send out alert emails to mata/relatives/family/closest contact/neighbour 

Might work out for ageing Sinkies :(

34 minutes ago, The_King said:

i guess that me

24 minutes ago, coffeenut said:

You create a daily check-in service. Online.

If don't checkin everyday with face recognition, or finger recognition - then the service send out alert emails to mata/relatives/family/closest contact/neighbour 

Might work out for ageing Sinkies :(

If you want, moi create a dead man's trigger online, you do a cover of this

and upload to the server, click on it everyday or it will send straight to every government email and media outlet after 2359.

I only scare you forget to do it one day and end up in changi chalet. Though that will solve the problem too.

• Sad 1

images.jpeg.956a9591793765da5b4865e1c832671b.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

If you want, moi create a dead man's trigger online, you do a cover of this

and upload to the server, click on it everyday or it will send straight to every government email and media outlet after 2359.

I only scare you forget to do it one day and end up in changi chalet. Though that will solve the problem too.

i also scare of this too

I only scare you forget to do it one day and end up in changi chalet

• Like 1