Chatterbox to open its doors on 14 Mar with a fresh new look and cheap(er) Chicken Rice

The_King

I thought I had eaten my month’s quota of chicken rice due to last month’s overindulgence, but how could I resist stuffing my face with Chatterbox’s atas Chicken Rice, right?

Famous for its S$27 Mandarin Chicken Rice in the past, the well-known eatery is finally making a comeback… at a lower price!

Image of veranda

Credit – Chatterbox

The 51-year-old restaurant, closed since October 2021, underwent major reconstruction. It now calls the new Hilton Singapore Orchard ‘home’, and will return with age-old favourites on 14 March 2022.

Image of interior

Image of interior

The 126-seater restaurant boasts a swanky new interior, paired with a classy waiting area cum bar, and an ‘outdoor’ veranda. Patrons can choose to enter from either one of the two entrances from Mandarin Gallery and Hilton Hotel once it’s open.

Image of chicken rice set (individual)

Image of chicken rice set (individual)

Enter the ‘man of the match’, the one and only, Mandarin Chicken Rice (S$25 for Individual Set, S$38 for Half Chicken, S$72 for Whole Chicken). Still a bit on the pricier side, the Chicken Rice is unlike any I’ve seen. Apart from filling the air with its fresh ginger-and-garlic aroma, visually, every element on the wooden tray was glistening under the light. I’m pretty sure I heard angels singing as the tray was set.

Close up of a slice of chicken

Close up of a slice of chicken

Many of us grew up with Chatterbox, so it has an added nostalgic value to it. However, I just want to be honest and add, it was my first time trying Mandarin Chicken Rice. Of course, I needed to check if the hype’s legit, right?

There it was, the plump chicken, so tender and soft. So slippery, my colleague Rachel had difficulties pinching it with the chopsticks for this shot. When paired with the rice, it was truly the epitome of perfection.

Image of a spoonful of ingredients in soup

Image of a spoonful of ingredients in soup

Special mention goes to the two often overlooked dishes that make up a regular chicken rice set: the soup and chilli. Where else can you find a bowl of soup that’s loaded with a chock full of tasty ingredients and homemade chilli that packs a punch with every bite? At Chatterbox, of course!

Collage of prawns, laksa, otah and sea perch

Collage of prawns, laksa, otah and sea perch

Apart from the Mandarin Chicken Rice, Chatterbox also offers a wide range of local favourites. Seafood lovers will enjoy the fresh Lemon Butter Tiger Prawns (S$28 for five pieces), light and flavourful Lobster Laksa (S$34), absolutely crispy Sea Perch with Burnt Green Chilli (S$35), and the thick Mackerel & Crab Otah Otah (S$18).

Image of wok-fried sambal vegetables

Image of wok-fried sambal vegetables

Complete your meal with a plate of Wok-fried Sambal Vegetables (S$12), where you can choose between kang kong or wing beans. The special sambal sauce deserves to be a dip on its own!

Image of signature coconut ice cream

Image of signature coconut ice cream

Don’t forget to end your meal with the refreshing Signature Coconut Ice Cream (S$15).

I now understand why Chatterbox is still a hit after all these years. Aside from the wave of nostalgia, each dish was perfectly executed; leaving it to be flawless.

• Like 2