Is $8 for a meal at $41.68m Tampines coffee shop too much, even if rent has doubled?

The_King

Is $8 too much to fork out for a coffee shop meal in the heartlands?

Stomper Andy feels that a nasi lemak stall at 21 Street Eating House, located at Block 201 Tampines Street 21, has been overcharging customers.

On one occasion, his wife was charged $8 for white rice with a fried chicken drumstick and brinjal.

Andy told Stomp: "My wife was timid and did not dare to ask about the prices.

"I think $6 would have been acceptable: $3 for the drumstick, $1.80 for the vegetables, $1 for the rice and $0.20 for the takeaway box."

Andy said the same stall charged $6 for blue butterfly pea rice with a fried chicken wing and bitter gourd recently.

ricenew.jpg

The Stomper added: "$4.50 to $5 would be acceptable for this."

Interesting, the stall offers a value meal of blue butterfly pea rice with a fried chicken wing, egg, ikan bilis and cucumber for $4.20, according to its signboard.

signboard_0.jpg

Andy said: "I'm wondering how this stall is able to charge to $8 in a coffee shop. It's a ridiculous overcharge in a neighbourhood."

21 Street Eating House made headlines two years ago when it was sold for a record $41.68 million. Some tenants complained that they have being making a loss ever since rent doubled in April 2022.

• Like 1
  • wtf 1