SG's new surface-to-air missile defence system

The_King

user posted image

user posted image

SINGAPORE: Singapore’s next generation air defence system, the Aster 30 Medium-range Surface-to-Air missile (MSAM), has achieved full operational capability status, the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) announced on Wednesday (Nov 29), just over three years after it was first deployed.

The Aster 30, which has stood up for 24/7 air defence operations since August 2020, is an all-weather, next-generation, ground-based missile system that is able to counter a wide spectrum of air threats, ranging from fighter aircraft, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles to precision-guided munitions.

It is also able to intercept air targets further than the I-HAWK air defence missile system it has replaced.

“In 2020, we were in the midst of transitioning from the I-HAWK to Aster 30 amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, all the while maintaining I-HAWK for 24/7 peacetime air defence,” said Major Graci Wong, the commanding officer of the Republic of Singapore Air Force's (RSAF) 163 Squadron.

"Since then, we have successfully transitioned over fully to Aster 30 for 24/7 peacetime air defence and have trained our NSmen who were previously operating the I-HAWK on the old system."

Developed in France, the Aster 30 missile system is able to engage fighter aircraft up to 70km away and at an altitude of up to 18km. At 5m long and weighing 450kg, an Aster 30 missile can fly up to Mach 4.5, or four-and-a-half times the speed of sound.

As part of RSAF’s Island Air Defence (IAD) system, the Aster 30 is integrated with other advanced sensors, shooters, and command and control systems in the IAD system to provide a multi-layered, networked and intelligent air defence round the clock islandwide.

• Like 1