New in town: Kamome Bakery, Joo Chiat — The hardest bakery to visit, ever

The_King

Hear ye, hear ye—another bakery is about to make an appearance along the ever-so trendy streets of Joo Chiat. I know, isn’t the entire Katong/East Coast area blessed enough already? Apparently, the blessings don’t ever stop and here is Kamome Bakery making its way into the fold.

Display tables of Kamome Bakery

Display tables of Kamome Bakery

Credit

There is no shortage of bakeries along the streets of Joo Chiat, but a Japanese one like Kamome Bakery? I am beside myself with excitement. This new opening marks Kamome Bakery’s second outlet from their well-loved Novena outlet. Just think of all the scrumptious Mentaiko (S$2.40) baguettes and Ebikatsu (S$6) that will be at your disposal. Kamome Bakery is starting small with about 15 of their bakes for sale.

Red Bean Butter Bun from Kamome Bakery

Red Bean Butter Bun from Kamome Bakery

Of course, all good things don’t come too easy. At the moment, Kamome Bakery has rather odd opening hours, where they open from 11am to 5pm and close on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I’d reckon that the days they are closed is to prepare for all the bakes like their Kyoto-inspired Red Bean Butter Bun (S$3) that comes with sweet, sticky red bean paste and a slab of butter. I’ll take anything to bring me closer to Japan, really.

One of the best parts of Japanese bakeries is the soft and pillowy Kamome Toast (S$3.70), and the best part you can choose the thickness of your toast. I mean, we have to appreciate the never-ending attentiveness of these Japanese bakeries.

Strawberry pastry from Kamome Bakery

Strawberry pastry from Kamome Bakery

Credit

At the moment, Kamome Bakery is only available for takeaway, but we all shall wait with bated breath to when we can sit in the cosy cafe and savour our toast on Sundays.

• Like 1