Amid hygiene concerns, pet-friendly eateries at One Holland Village mall clean up '10 times more' often

The_King

SINGAPORE: When One Holland Village opened in December, animal lovers in Singapore celebrated being able to bring their pets indoors into eateries and other shops at the mall. 

In the months since, checks by CNA have uncovered several instances of diners finding pet fur in their food, and concerns over cleanliness.

In response, F&B chain Surrey Hills Grocer told CNA that it deep-cleans its One Holland Village space "maybe 10 times more frequently" than the average eatery does.

Founder and CEO Pang Gek Teng, a dog owner herself, said Surrey Hills' pet-friendly outlets - it has another in Woodleigh - have several air purifiers and fans installed.

The Plain Meredith cafe, meanwhile, has HEPA-grade (high efficiency particulate air) purifiers with pet filters in place.

Staff also vacuum up loose fur after each guest leaves, said owner Beh Huat Jin.

“On top of that, we’re talking to a vendor or partner to see how we can establish sanitiser or cleaning products for fur kids in Plain Meredith,” he told CNA. 

Both outlets have not received any direct complaints to do with cleanliness.

“We do have customers who do not have dogs and cats as well, that dine within our premises," said Mr Beh.

Pet owners CNA spoke to said they empathised with the eateries.

“If other dogs shed, my dog also sheds. I think it’s something that you kind of have to accept when you own a dog and you bring your dog to places where dogs are welcome,” said Ms Chen Meihui, who has visited the mall twice with her five-year-old dog Rosie. 

“I’ve gotten to a point where I don’t even realise that there’s dog hair in my food. Much less white dog hair, which is almost invisible.” 

People who don’t have pets and are concerned could always visit outlets that don’t allow animals indoors, she added. 

Dog owner Tan Lijing said she would continue eating even if hair belonging to Chopper, her eight-year-old Pomeranian, found its way into her food.

But if the hair belonged to another animal, she admitted she would “feel a bit grossed out”. “But I don’t think I’d ask for a refund from the place because it’s not something they can control,” she added. 

Even with the mall teeming with pets especially on weekends and weekday evenings, visitors described One Holland Village as overall clean and well-maintained. 

“I didn’t see any dogs peeing on the floor,” said Ms Tan, pointing to a grass patch on the second floor where pets can relieve themselves. 

When indoors, she usually puts a diaper on Chopper to avoid accidents. 

Managing a pet-welcoming retail mall has been a learning journey for its developer Far East Organization, said Ms Deborah Tan, director of its retail business group. 

Owners are expected to be attentive to their pets’ behaviour and promptly clean up if a mess is created, she added. 

“In general, we have observed that pet owners at One Holland Village have been responsible in cleaning after their pets.” 

Pet waste disposal amenities are also placed around the mall.

Ms Chen, her husband and their dog Rosie said they are looking forward to their third visit to the mall.

“There's also the only Watson’s in the country that allows dogs to go in, so we stuffed Rosie in a bag just to shop around," she said.

"That’s very funny. I’d definitely go back for these niche experiences."

Source: CNA/hw
  • Like 2

i can imagine. your pet walk walk, saw a wall, urine, or walk halfway the sai just drop on the floor (owner saw it but no one around faster walk away or kick the sai away)

or maybe sai drop owner dont know, the ppl step on the land mine land sai and all the floor FULL OF SAI, then the One Holland Village mall like kena sai.

if no urine or sai there must be a reason clean '10 times more' often

• Wahaha 2